Chapter 4: The Perfect Guy's Match?

Reaching for the stars

 

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

            I stared in awe at the scene in front of me. I saw the class president, Richa, our classmates Russell and Kyuhyun and 2 other girls I think belongs to the other class sitting across a baby grand piano. They were watching someone playing the piano and it is no other than but Meliss.

 

            Now, I think the reason why the headmaster invited her to study in Kirin Academy. She is indeed a rare talent. The way she plays is so peaceful and at the same time, you will certainly feel the emotions through the notes coming out of the piano. Her expression is peaceful yet you will get a hint of sadness and loneliness. Now, I wonder why it is full of painful emotions. All of her emotions pierced right through my heart and it made my heart skip a beat. I begin to move away from the room quietly so I wouldn’t be seen and I wouldn’t disturb them.

 

            I was walking away; one thought came into my mind.

 

            Meliss, what a mysterious girl. And what is this that I am feeling?

 

Meliss’ POV

 

            I approached the piano and opened the lid of the keys. “What are you planning to play with the piano?” Dail asked. “Just wait until you hear it.” I said smiling slyly and positioned myself in the piano. Once I was ready, I began to play, Beethoven’s Piano Sonata op. 13 “Pathetique” 2nd Movement. This piece is one of my favorites since it really did help soothe the pain all this years.

 

            After I pressed the last note, I slowly opened my eyes and looked at the window. The sun is already setting upon the horizon. I stood up and bowed to the rest of the people inside the room.

 

            “That’s it.” I said smiling at them. “Wow, that piece was from Beethoven, right?” Kyuhyun guessed. “Yup. Piano Sonata op.13 which is also known as “Pathetique” 2nd movement. I answered. “That was amazing! The emotions of the song really did pierce through my heart!” Jannine exclaimed. “Not just Jannine’s but ours as well.” Russell said. “Maybe that’s the reason why the headmaster took interest on you. You have the absolute talent!” Richa said. “Really? Well, I really didn’t notice that since music is my passion and also one of my bestfriends in times of despair.” I said. “Well, you have more bestfriends now!” Dail exclaimed. “Eh?” I asked. “It’s us. Welcome to the troupe!” They all exclaimed. “Thanks guys!” I said. I’m really glad that they became my friends.

“Well, let’s get going then. It is almost dinner time.” Richa said. “Let’s go to the dorm’s dining area then!” Jannine said. “By the way, where are the dorms of the others are located?” I asked. “All of us are in the same dorm.” Richa said. “I and Russell share the same room together with Chanyeol and Suho of EXO.” Kyuhyun said. “Eh? Russell is the only girl?” I asked. “Well, it’s okay since I really don’t mind.” Russell said. “It’s okay for her since she shares the same room with Chanyeol.” Dail teased. Russell began to turn tomato red. “Russell has a crush on Chanyeol?” I asked wide-eyed. “Obviously.” The rest except Russell said. Then we all laughed. “Meanwhile I and Dail share the same room with EXO’s Sehun and Kris.” Jannine said. “But they are annoying. Always whining about the room.” Dail said. “Yes, especially Kris.” Jannine said. “Eh? Why?” I asked. “They don’t want the room to be girly. But they can’t escape since we are girls, right Jannine?” Dail said. “Absolutely right. I prefer girly stuff to be around than seeing Kris’ MASTERPIECES hanging around the room.” Jannine said sarcastically. “Why is the word, ‘masterpieces’ emphasized?” I asked. “Oh, you don’t want to know.” Russell said. The rest then started to laugh. “Oh okay then. By the way, you can go first to the dining area since I have to get my phone in the room and call mom and dad to assure them that I am okay.” I said. “Okay then. Just do to the dining room after your phone call.” Richa said. “Okay.” I said and I went separate ways from them.

 

            In the room…

 

            I opened the door and see Tao on the couch of the living room watching TV. I looked at what channel he is watching and I could tell it’s a fashion show since there were models modelling on a stage. “Where’s Luhan?” I asked. “Somewhere with Sehun.” Tao asked. “Somewhere? What do you mean?” I asked. He can be confusing sometimes. “Ugh. When I mean SOMEWHERE, I mean in the bubble tea store. Don’t you get it?” Tao said. “Oh, SORRY. I didn’t get it since I really don’t know you guys that well.” I said sarcastically. Ugh, can’t he be calm in talking sometimes? Well, got to get my phone. “You don’t know US but you know that bastard’s group.” Tao said. “Huh? Did you say something?” I asked. All I could hear was murmurs. “Nothing. I said go away! You are disturbing me!” Tao exclaimed. “Tsk. Whatever.” I said and walked out the room.

 

Tao’s POV

 

            After she went out the room, I turned my attention back to the TV. But I really can’t give my full attention to what I was watching since I was wondering what is the strange feeling I have inside me a while ago when the Chanel girl was inside the room?

 

            Something is moving inside my stomach and somewhat I felt my boiling of my blood when she mentioned Luhan-hyung’s name.

 

            Strange.

 

Back to Meliss’ POV

 

            I am now on my way to the dorm’s dining area when I heard someone called me. I turned my back and saw Jonghyun running towards me. “Good evening, Meliss. Going to the dining area?” Jonghyun asked. “Yes, Jonghyun-ssi.” I said politely. “Oh, please call me Jonghyun or oppa. Don’t be so formal. We’re classmates, right?” Jonghyun said smiling. I blushed. “Yes, Jonghyun-ah.” I said shyly. Is it me, or Jonghyun have a tint of pink printed on his face when I mentioned his name. Oh well, I’d just shrug it off.

 

            “By the way, do you play some instruments?” Jonghyun asked. “Umm….wh-why do you ask?” I asked.  He just asks it so suddenly. I wonder why? “Well, I’m just curious. You know I wonder what the headmaster sees in you that you are invited to study in this school. It is rare for the headmaster to do it. You are the first one to be granted with scholarship, you know.” Jonghyun asked. I laughed nervously. “I-I do-don-don’t play any.” I stuttered. “Then, maybe I could teach you how to play some instruments especially my specialty which is the guitar.” Jonghyun said smiling. “Umm…maybe next time? Oh and I got to go. Richa and the others are maybe looking for me. See you around then.” I said as I fled. He just wave me goodbye.

 

            I directly went to the dorm’s dining area and immediate looked for Richa and the rest of the group. Once I found them, I immediately went to their table. “Hey guys.” I greeted. “Oh, what took you so long?” Kyuhyun asked. “Well, Jonghyun made me stop on my tracks when he called me so suddenly when I was on my way here?” I explained. “Really, did he need something from you?” Richa asked. “Well, he just suddenly asked if I play any instruments since I’m the first one to be granted a scholarship by the headmaster himself.” I said. “Now that you’ve mention it, you are indeed the first person invited by the headmaster and also the first one to be offered a scholarship. Well, since this academy is known to be a school also of the elites.” Russell said. “Then, you denied, am I right?” Dail asked. I just simply nodded. After the dinner, we all went back to our respective rooms.

 

            It is already pass 10 PM and yet, I can’t sleep. Maybe, I’m just missing home. Oh well, I took out my jacket and went out of the room quietly. I began to stroll outside the premises of the dorm until I found a lake. Wow, there is indeed a lake inside this school. A gazebo is also located in the middle of the lake. I went there and glance at the reflection of the moon in the water.

 

Tao’s POV

 

            As I went out of the room to get some water, I saw that Chanel girl get out of the room.  I took a glanced at the clock and it reads 10:05 PM. Really, where is she going at this time of the evening? Huh? What was I’m thinking? I should plan instead on how to have my revenge on her on what she have done this morning. Ooh. I know. She should be prepared tomorrow. Heh.

 

Back to Meliss’ POV

 

            As I was admiring the beauty of the scenery before me, I was thinking about what happened today, my first day here in Kirin Academy. There are a lot of nice things happened today. I met a lot of new companions. But I also meet arrogant people especially that Tao. Same with Victoria and her clique. Tsk.

 

            Suddenly, my trail of thoughts was disrupted when I heard a voice singing Boys Like Girls, Be Your Everything. I stood up from the place I was sitting a while ago and followed the trail of music in the air. As I was nearing the source of the music, a familiar voice rang into my ears. And when I finally found the source, the one who is singing is no other Jonghyun of CNBLUE. I was mesmerized by how the moonlight is casted upon him. It was like watching an angel singing.

 

            After a while, he stops playing because he has noticed my presence. “Meliss? What are you doing here at this time of the night? Aren’t you supposed to be asleep?” he asked me. “Well, I cannot sleep so I decided to walk a bit. I was at the lake when I hear you singing. It’s one of my favorite english songs.” I said smiling shyly. He patted the space beside him telling me to sit beside him. I did as what I was told and somewhat blood rushed towards my cheeks. “You okay? You seem flushed.” he asked. “I’m fine.” I denied. “So, Be Your Everything is one of your favorite songs.” he said. I just simply nodded. “Can I ask you a favor?” he asked. “Sure. What is it?” I replied. “Well, can you sing at least one song? I’m curious on how you sing. Maybe your singing is the reason why the headmaster invited you to study here.” he said. Well, a song won’t hurt right? “What song would you like me to sing?” I asked. “How about Your Call  by Secondhand Serenade. I can play the guitar for you.” he suggested. “Ok then.” I agreed.

 

Jonghyun’s POV

            Arrghh. I can’t sleep. Meliss is really stuck into my mind. What should I do? I’m not yet in the mood to sleep just by thinking of her. Well, I took my jacket and my guitar. Maybe playing it somewhere peaceful will make my mind calm.

            I was playing Be Your Everything when I felt a presence approach me. I stopped playing the guitar and look up to see Meliss. I asked her why she is still outside at this time of the night and she said she can’t sleep. I guess we’re in the same situation but with different reasons. I then ask her a favour if she could sing a song. I really wanted to hear her sing. It made me so intrigued of her. I already hear her play but I want to hear her sing. She seems to be shocked at first but then she decided to do it. “What song would you like me to sing?” she asked.  “How about Your Call by Secondhand Serenade. I can play the guitar for you.” I suggested. “Ok then.” she agreed. With that, I began to strum my guitar and she began to sing.

Waiting for your call, I'm sick, call I'm angry
call I'm desperate for your voice
Listening to the song we used to sing
In the car, do you remember
Butterfly, Early Summer
It's playing on repeat, Just like when we would meet
Like when we would meet

 

            I was mesmerized with her voice. It was so peaceful and angelic.

Cause I was born to tell you I love you
and I am torn to do what I have to, to make you mine
Stay with me tonight

 

            Her voice was really beautiful. But then, she motioned me to sing with her. I didn’t hesitate and decided to join her.

Jonghyun: Stripped and polished, I am new, I am fresh
I am feeling so ambitious, you and me, flesh to flesh
Cause every breath that you will take
when you are sitting next to me
will bring life into my deepest hopes, What's your fantasy?
(
Meliss: What's your, what's your, what's your...)

Meliss and Jonghyun: Cause I was born to tell you I love you
and I am torn to do what I have to, to make you mine
Stay with me tonight

 

            We didn’t realize that our voice are harmonizing with each other.

Meliss (second voice: Jonghyun) And I'm tired of being all alone, and this solitary moment makes me want to come back home
x4
(I know everything you wanted isn't anything you have)


Meliss and Jonghyun: Cause I was born to tell you I love you
and I am torn to do what I have to, to make you mine
Stay with me tonight


Meliss (second voice: Jonghyun) Cause I was born to tell you I love you
and I am torn to do what I have to, to make you mine
Stay with me tonight
(I know everything you wanted isn't anything you have)

 

            And the song ended with the final strum of my guitar. That was really nice. I felt something warm inside me while we both sing. I look at Meliss and smiled.

 

Meliss’ POV

 

            The song ended. I blushed. The song was really overwhelming. I look at Jonghyun’s direction and I saw a smile was printed across his face. I even blushed more.

 

            “Well, that was nice. Your voice was really beautiful.” he said while smiling. Oh, his smile was really warm and gentle.

 

            “T-t-thanks.” I said shyly. I am not used to compliments.

 

            “We should do it more often. I’ll be glad to.” he said. I just nodded and smile at him.

 

Author’s POV

 

            Unbeknown to the two of them, a pair of hazelnut eyes was watching them from the start.