Chapter 1: First Impressions

Reaching for the stars

 

Chapter 1: First Impressions

 

            The birds are starting to sing their morning melodies and the sun is already smiling widely. Today is the day. I said to no one in particular. Today is the day I’ll be leaving my hometown to attend the prestigious international school of performing arts, Kirin Academy. Yes, it’s a school for the elites. But I am not a rich or whatsoever you would assume I am. I’m just a normal 17-year old girl and my family belongs to the middle class not the elite. I’m going to attend the school as a scholar. Why? It’s a long story.

 

            My things are already ready and after a refreshing bath, I’m good to go. I went downstairs to grab some bread for breakfast. Mom already left for work also same with dad.

 

            The director of the school offered a service for me even though I insisted to travel myself since I know where the school is located. As I was waiting, my phone beeped.

 

[Text Message: MOM]

            Honey, sorry for not waking you up. We were already running late for work. The director just called me and informed that your service is already on its way to fetch you. Take care and we love you! We know that you’re one step away from your dreams.

 

            I smiled at my mom’s text. Now I realized I’m indeed near in reaching my dreams. My thoughts were interrupted by a honk outside the house. I think is the car the director is saying. I left mom a note saying thanks and that I love them.

 

            I went outside and to my surprise the car the director offered is a limousine!

 

            “Umm…are you Ms. Meliss Grace Buenconsejo?” a lady in an expensive suit asked. “Yes, I am.” I replied still astonished at what I am seeing right now. The school is indeed for elites. “I am Park Eunji, the director’s secretary. We’re here to fetch you. Are these your things?” Ms. Park said. “Yes.” I simply replied. “You can go inside the limo. Leave your things with us.” she added.

 

            I did as what I was told and they put my things at the trunk of the car. After a while, Ms. Park and the driver boarded the limo. Now, off we go.

 

            While we were travelling, Ms. Park has been explaining to me about my dormitory and about its rules same with the school.

 

            So, I will be staying in a coed dormitory. Two boys from a famous boy group and a girl from a famous family of musicians will be my roommates. I heard, the girl transferred rooms is because of the headmaster so that I won’t feel uneasy staying in room with just the two boys. All three of them were my classmates, the same with the rest of the members of the said 2 boys’ group. Well, I hope we could get along.

 

            We finally arrived to the Academy. My jaw dropped as I saw how humongous the school is!

 

            “Your things will be delivered to your room. Before we go to your classroom, please change into these set of uniforms.” Ms. Park said. We went to the nearest comfort room and I change into my school uniform. This school is really for the elites. Even the uniform is grand. After changing, Ms. Park assisted me to my classroom.

 

            By the time we arrive in my new classroom, a young woman in her late 20’s is standing outside the door. “Hello Ms. Buenconsejo. I’m Jung Maria. Half-Korean and Half-French. I’m going to be your homeroom teacher.” Ms. Jung said. “You can call me Meliss, miss.” I smiled. “You can also address me as Ms. Maria as well. Ms. Park, I will take care of her here.” Ms. Maria added.

 

            Ms. Park left and I followed Ms. Maria inside the classroom. At first, everyone was busy chatting but they fell into silence as they saw me enter the room. Ms. Maria went to the center and I only stood beside her.

 

            “Okay class, today a new student will be joining your class. She is a scholar and highly favoured by the headmaster. Please introduce yourself.” Ms. Maria announced. “Annyeong hasaeyo. Chonun Meliss Grace Buenconsejo imnida. (Hello, My name is Meliss Grace Buenconsejo.)” I introduced.

 

            The whole class started to whisper. ‘Why is there a scholar in this school? I thought it’s exclusive for the elites only.’ ‘I don’t believe that she is highly favoured by the headmaster. How about Victoria?’ ‘Eww…gross. A scholar.’

 

            Just as I thought. I said to myself. “Meliss will be sitting at the back of Ms. Rodillado, the class president. Please raise your hand to be recognized.” Ms. Maria announced. A hand raised and I immediately went to sit behind her.

 

            As soon as I settled down, Ms. Maria announced, “We will have no class in homeroom today due to the fact that I have to attend an urgent meeting. So use your time wisely. And Ms. Rodillado, would you, as the class president show Meliss around the school?” After that, she left the room.

 

            As soon as Ms. Maria left the room, 5 sassy girls approach my table. “Don’t sit on that place and better stay out of the way or I will make your life miserable.” A girl who’s called as Victoria blurted out. I was about to defend myself when the door opened revealing 12 gorgeous boys. With that, the girls started to squeal.

 

            The said 12 boys entered the room ignoring the whines of the girls such as ‘Kris, marry me.’ ‘I love you EXO!’ ‘Suho, please have lunch with me later.’ One guy out of the 12 caught my attention. A guy, even though his eye bags are obvious is still gifted with looks but he could compared to a Panda and standing 183cm in height and who’s things were branded with GUCCI.

 

            “Who are they?” I asked absentmindedly. “Gosh, you don’t know them? They are the famous boy group EXO!” A girl named Krystal who is also one of Victoria’s clique exclaimed. I just rolled my eyes on her and continue to put my attention to the guy earlier.

 

            The girls started to flock them as they took their seat at the last 2 rows at the back. My bag dropped because of the commotion. I was getting my bag when I heard a male’s voice said, “Eww…Chanel.” I looked up and it was no other than the guy earlier. “Excuse me, are you talking to me?” I asked as I looked into his eyes. His eyes were tantalizing, alright.

 

            “Are there anyone else who is blocking my way?” The guy said. Victoria immediately shoved me out of the way causing me to bump into the wall. “Don’t you dare talk like that to Tao.” she warned. I stood up and walked out of the room. I think I need some air. The commotion inside is suffocating me.

 

Tao’s POV:

 

            As the girl stormed out of the room, I took the sit behind her chair. “Tao are you okay? Do you want us to teach that girl a lesson?” Victoria, the annoying asked. She’s indeed annoying. She and her clique always follow us here in school. Tsk…FANS *sighs*

 

            “Girls please go away. We need some time alone okay. You’re really annoying as hell.” Kris-gege said. Thanks God, they did as what they are told.

 

            As the fan girls go away, Suho, the group’s leader approaches me. “Tao, I think you need to apologize to that girl earlier. She’s new in this school I think.” Suho said. “I don’t care and she is in the way so it’s her fault.” I answered back.

 

            “Tao’s right.” Kris agreed. Suho sighed. “Like father, like son.” He muttered. “Hey HunHan is happening again here! Could the two of you find a place for that? My eyes are burning!” Chen, the troll of the group whined. Sehun, the group’s maknae but a mature-looking one just like me just stuck his tongue out to Chen.

 

            “And by the way Tao, I heard from Richa, the class president who also transferred rooms with us that the new girl will be our new roommate.” Luhan said. “But aren’t we stars? What so special about her that even the class president, who is the daughter of the prodigies in the classical world of music be her roommate?” I exclaimed.

 

            “I heard that she is highly favoured by the Headmaster himself.” Xiumin said as he is eating meat buns.

 

            Chanyeol, the tallest one in the group and also one of the best rappers who possesses a deep voice despite his child-like appearance, took the bag of meat buns from Xiumin. “Hey! Give them back!” Xiumin exclaimed. Chanyeol then passed it to Lay and passed it to Kai and Kai passed it to Kyungsoo or known as DO but DO give it back to the almost crying Xiumin.

 

            “Awww…DO!! You ruined the fun!” Chanyeol whined. “Guys, stop rummaging around! I’m applying my eyeliner here!” Baekhyun, the eyeliner-boy shouted and he went back to his own business.

 

            I sighed at the sight of our group. It’s always like this. We are also young adults and we have our mischievous side.

 

Back to Meliss’ POV

 

            I went to a place I found most peaceful and the one that caught my earlier when I take a look outside the window near my place. The place is secluded and there aren’t a lot of by passers around. So I thought, this place is the best one for me to stay.

 

            I took a seat under the shade of a cherry tree. I sighed in relieve, finally having peace surrounds me. I look at the clear, blue sky above me already missing home. Even though I have stayed in the hospital for a couple of months.

 

            I took out my phone and earphones and began to listen to Min Seyi’s “Don’t Be Sad” one of my favourite OSTs in MONSTAR.

 

            I was peacefully listening to the music when I felt footsteps nearing me. I look at the direction of the footsteps and I saw a girl. She is gifted with long, natural straight black hair.

            “Hello there. Meliss, right?” The girl asked as she took a seat beside me. “Yes. And you are?” I asked. “I’m Richa Jelu Rodillado. Just Richa or Rich for short.” Oh yes, the class president. “I’m sorry for what our classmates did to you. It’s your first day and you were being bullied already.” Richa apologized. “No, it’s okay. I’m already used to it.” I answered back smiling. “By the way, why are the girls in class get so crazy over those 12 boys? Are they really that famous?” I added.

 

            “Well, actually EXO is really famous not just only here in Korea but all over the globe as well. Even though they’ve just debuted last year. The entertainment they are right now is also famous. Actually, I’m a fan of them as well.” Richa answered.

 

            “So that’s why. And how about those bit—err… I mean 5 girls a while ago?” I asked.

 

            “Oh yes. Those 5 girls are the leaders of EXO’s fan club here in school. They are also quite influential. Be careful around them. They will surely make your life miserable especially when you talk something bad about EXO or you will get the attention of the whole group of EXO.” Richa warned.

 

            “Thanks for the warning. I will keep that in mind.” I said. “Sure, no problem at all. By the way, I will also be your roommate. Same with EXO’s Tao and Lu-luhan.” Richa said while blushing at the mere mention of EXO’s Luhan’s name.

 

            “Ehh…this is interesting. Your face became all red when you mentioned Luhan’s name. This means you have a crush on him? Hehe.” I teased. “A-a-a-ah. It’s not what you thi-think i-i-i-it is.”Richa stuttered. “If you say so.” I teased in a sing-sang tone.

 

            I extended my arms saying, “Friends?” Richa reach out and replied, “Friends!” still blushing.

 

            I’m glad I gained a friend here in school.

 

[LUNCH TIME]

 

            I went to have my lunch together with Richa at the school’s cafeteria. We are also going to meet Richa’s friends and also one of our classmates, Russell Paulma and Lee Kyuhyun. By the time we enter the cafeteria, a lot of students were looking at us.

 

            ‘Hey it’s that girl. I heard she is a scholar.’ one student said. ‘Why is there such a thing as a scholar in our school? Won’t it ruin the school’s reputation? What was the headmaster thinking?’ another student whispered.

 

            “Don’t mind them.” Richa muttered to me. I just nodded and we both proceed to the table where Russell and Kyuhyun are.

 

            As we approach the table, I saw the arrogant guy earlier. I heard from Richa that his name is Huang Zitao or just Tao for short. As I was looking at him, our eyes met. I immediately broke the gaze because I feel something unusual inside of me.

 

            “Are you okay?” Richa asked. “Yup. I’m fine. It’s just maybe I’m hungry.” I replied. “Oh, is that so? Don’t worry Kyuhyun already bought our lunch so there is no need for us to buy food.

 

            We finally approach our table even though I still feel that Tao is looking at our direction. “Hey guys. I know that you already know Meliss since she is our new classmate.” Richa said. “Annyeong hasaeyo. Chonun Russell Paulma imnida. (Hello. My name is Russell Paulma)” a girl with a shoulder-length black hair and possesses deep dimples said. “Annyeong. Chonun Lee Kyuhyun imnida. (Hello. My name is Lee Kyuhyun)” the guy who is white as snow and who is a Korean by blood and who loses his eyes when he smiles greeted.

 

            “Annyeong Russell and Kyuhyun. I hope we could be friends.” I greeted back. “I don’t see why not.” Russell said. “I agree. You are now part of our group.” Kyuhyun said. “Thanks!” I happily exclaimed.

 

            Both me and Richa, took a seat and the four of us chatted as we eat our lunch. As we are eating, I saw EXO left the cafeteria followed by a hoard of crazy fangirls.

 

[While having lunch…]

 

            “By the way Meliss, can I ask something?” Russell suddenly blurted out. “Sure. What is it?” I asked. “Well, I was wondering why you entered the school as a scholar.” Russell asked. “Yes, I am also thinking the same thing.” Richa said. “Same here.” Kyuhyun added.

 

            “Well actually. The headmaster of this school found me at the hospital I was admitted these past months. He is having a visit when most of my co-patient requested me to play a piece in the violin.” I started to say. I think I can tell them the whole story because they’re my friends now.

 

            “Wait. Isn’t the headmaster visited the canc—wait you mean, you have cancer?!” Richa exclaimed. “Ssh. Calm down.” Russell said.

 

            “Well actually, I’ve survived my 3rd stage cancer and don’t worry, I’m already fully recovered. The headmaster offers me to be a student of this school. I was about to refuse since my family cannot afford to send me to this kind of school so he offered that I become a scholar because he knows that I wouldn’t disappoint him.” I said.

 

            “So that’s why.” Russell said. “How many months have you stayed in the hospital?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

            “I think 3 or 4 years.” I replied.

 

            “That’s difficult to bear isn’t it? With all the treatments you underwent.” Richa said. “Well, I’m doing the best I can to survive for my family. It wasn’t that difficult for me since I have my family and of course, my best friend, MUSIC beside me all those painful years.” I said smiling.

 

            “Well, that’s enough! Let’s all change the subject.” Richa exclaimed. “How about we go and celebrate our new friendship with Meliss later after school? I know a good place which opened recently.” Kyuhyun offered. “That sounds great!” Russell exclaimed. “I agree with it as well.” I said.

 

            Suddenly, the bell began to ring. “Well, there’s our cue to go back to the classroom.” Richa said. We all pack our things and we proceed to our classroom.