Getting Started

Play the Game {Hiatus}

As we walked to our usual place with our new friends, we chatted with them. My hyungs chatted about cards to their new friends while Seohyun and I talked about subjects that we are not good at. Once we reached our usual place, Kai hyung and Leon hyung sat and started playing the game. The other girls were crowding around the play area while Seohyun sat back where I was. Seohyun asked me if this was the usual. I nodded in reply. I heard Jason hyung talking about the cards that he has and the cards that Sooyoung nuna has. So did Alex hyung with Yoona nuna.
"YoungJae, I'm feeling a little left out," said Seohyun.
"Tell me about it. This is actually the usual. Every day, after school, my hyungs would play," I replied.
"Play? Not collect?"
"Yes... Play. They also collect but they trade or sell their unwanted cards."
"My unnies said they only collect the cards. YoungJae, do you know how to play the game?"
"My hyungs taught me how to play. So yes I do."

While we were talking, I saw Sooyoung nuna and Yoona nuna taking their cards out. I looked like a complete deck from my perspective. Jason hyung and Alex hyung confirmed my guess when they said that both decks had 50 cards. I glanced at Seohyun and almost saw her soul leaving her body. Feeling worried, I asked if she was alright. She only nodded. Not knowing what to do, I quickly turned her attention towards our study notes. It was successful but for only a short period of time, as she ask me something surprising.
"YoungJae, you know that I'm feeling left out right?" she asked. I nodded.
"So... I'm thinking of starting to follow my unnies."
"In what?"
"In collecting and playing..." I kept quiet and hung my head. "YoungJae... what's wrong?"
"Nothing..."
"Tell me. I'm here for you," said Seohyun with a comforting voice, as well as curious.
"I think we need to go home. It's getting late," I said, trying to change the subject. I changed the subject successfully as Seohyun looked at her watch. As soon as she noticed the time, she hurriedly pack her stuff and told her unnies that they need to go back. All stopped what they were doing, including my hyungs, and packed to get ready to leave the area.

Once my hyungs and I were done, we got up and walked to dorm. Seohyun and her unnies did the same. They were walking in the same direction as us, so Kai hyung asked them. Sunny nuna replied him that they were living in a dorm and that their dorm is in the same direction. Kai hyung nodded and we continued walking towards our dorm. As we reached our dorm, my hyungs and I were shocked to find out that the girls' dorm were opposite us. I bid them goodbye, for the day, and entered our dorm. I went straight to my room and changed into something comfortable. I came out of the room and saw Jason hyung and Alex hyung sitting in the living room with a box on the table. I didn't want to ask what the box is for. So I told them that I'll be out for a while. I didn't say how long and where I would be going. I heard an ok from them, and I left. Not really knowing where I want to go, I walked towards the 24hour Card shop near the dorm. Greeted by the shop owner as I entered, I browsed the shop for cards or a trial deck that I could get used to first before 'building' a deck. As I was browsing, I noticed a familiar female silhouette in the distance holding onto what looks like a trial deck. I walked a little closer to see who she is, and I was shock to find out that she was Seohyun.

Well she did tell me that she was going to start Vanguard, but I didn't think it will be today. I walk towards her and call out to her. She turned around, surprised to see me behind her. She asked me if I was going to start Vanguard. I nodded as I look for a good trial deck. She asked me what would be a good deck for her. I told that there are many decks to choose from. I found the desired trial deck for me as soon as I told her that. Seohyun saw the deck that I'm holding and asked if it is a good deck. I nodded but I told her that it is best if she choose a different deck than mine.
"Why is that?" she asked.
"Simple... Different decks have different playing styles," I replied.
"How is that different?"
"I'll explain it you," said a voice. I turned to see who the voice belonged to, and I was surprised to see that it belonged to Leon hyung.
"H...hyung..." I stuttered.
"Opp...oppa..." stuttered Seohyun.
"Hello Jay Joohyun. Fancy meeting the both of you here," he said.
"Hyung... Joohyun and I actually wanted to start Vanguard. So..."
"We came here... to find a deck." Seohyun finished the sentence for me.

Leon hyung nodded and noticed the trial deck that was on the table. "Who is buying this trial deck?" he asked. I replied him that it was me. "You're buying a Narukami trial deck?" I nodded. "Do you know how this deck is played?"
"Yes," I replied, "I've looked up about it."
"When? Scratch that how is it played?"
"Narukami is known for power and high damage. It has skills that takes out one or more rear guards. Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion and its cross ride burns the entire front row. Intercept is impossible. The cross ride burns the front row and does 2 damage to the Vanguard, which means if not guarded, Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion THE BLOOD, destroys front row rear guards and does 2 damage with an 18k power without boost and drive checks. If I were to add a 10k booster with 2 crits, it goes to 38k and 4 crits. Then there's Dragonic Descendant. He has an 11k base power; if breakride ability is used he gains a 10k power for that turn. A skill that requires 2 two counter blast is added, he gains another 5k. Let's say that it is used twice, that is 10k. Add that to the breakride and its base power, it easily goes to a 31k attack power, no boosts. If there is a trigger power goes to 36k but attack does not go through. Activate limit break, throw down 3 cards and counterblast 1. He stands and gains +1 crit. Attacks with a 10k boost, his power goes to 46k with 2 crit. Twin drive is 2 crit. Power goes to 56k and 4 crits, enough to finish off the opponent."
"Wow!" exclaimed Seohyun.
"That's... true... Well, you do know how to play Narukami," said Leon.
"So what deck would be good for me?" asked Seohyun.
"Genesis."
"What's that? How is it played?" she asked. Leon hyung gave her a long explanation on how the deck can be played. With each passing minute, Seohyun grew interested. After getting fully interested in Leon hyung's explanation, Seohyun decided to get a Genesis deck.

Then Leon hyung said something that made Seohyun disappointed. Seohyun asked me if what Leon said is true. I nodded. "Why? Why can't I have that deck?" asked Seohyun, with a sign of disappointment in her voice.
"The thing is...." said Leon.
"Is that there is no Genesis trial deck. So I'm afraid we can't buy a Genesis deck," I completed the sentence for Leon.
"How about this? Why don't we call my hyungs and your unnies to come here? Then we will make a Genesis deck for you," I proposed. Both Seohyun and Leon hyung nodded. They both called the others. Soon, my hyungs with the exception of Leon came into the shop first. Then, Seohyun's unnies came in. Both my hyungs and Seohyun's unnies brought their boxes, full of cards. Cards from different clans. They sat around me and I told them to help Seohyun build a Genesis deck. They nodded and opened their boxes and took out every Genesis cards they have. Meanwhile, I went to the owner and purchased my trial deck, together with some booster packs.

I went back to the table that I was at, sat and opened the trial deck. I inspected the trial deck and noticed that I had many of the cards that I needed to build a good Narukami deck, rebuild a new one. Then I opened the booster packs that I bought. I got cards that I need and some that Seohyun need. I separated those cards and gave every Genesis card to Seohyun.


Update~~~~~

Apologies for the chapter being wordy....