She was Home

Meant to Be

Merely the sound of soft breathing broke the silence of the small dressing room. Nervous, wide eyes darted towards the clock, then back to the mirror again and again, blunt teeth piercing the soft skin of rosy lips as tension seemed to grow as the seconds passed by.

Another look at the mirror, warm, dark eyes staring back at their owner, a soft, hesitant smile gracing pale lips.

Always smile.

How many times had the owner of said, soft lips heard those words of advice. Even now, as her heart fluttered wildly in her chest, the urge to just flee from the confided place growing; her lips held a graceful curl.

Until you're chosen, don't show your emotions.

Her mother's words echoed in her head. So badly, she wanted to defy that little rule. She wanted to cry, scream, to show that she was frightened to her core. Yet she was unable to, even as her cheeks were now slightly flushed, her breathing just a bit labored.

Her eyes now, as the clock struck three, were vacant of emotions. Only she knew that she was scared, that she didn't want to go out there... Had someone been in the room with her, they would have thought that she was joyful, thrilled even.

Her hand trembled as she brushed a stray strand of pale brown hair out of her eye. The door opened, revealing a petite woman, her smile soft yet genuine as she pulled the girl into her thin yet strong arms.

"It will be alright, sweetheart."She whispered soothingly, gently smoothing down the mess of curls on top of the girl's hair. An affectionate smile played on her lips as she pulled away slightly, her eyes lingering on the pink dress her daughter was wearing."You look gorgeous, Maya."

Be graceful but humble. Smile.

"Thank you Mama." Maya whispered, smiling softly at her mother as she gently touched the soft material of her dress. Although it was simple, merely adorned by a couple of flowers, it hugged the girl's petite figure perfectly. Just as her mother had said, she looked gorgeous.

Yet the spark of self-hatred was ignited in her chest as she glanced down at her hand. She knew well that she was shorter than the average with chubby fingers and huge feet.

All her classmates were tall, graceful, busty but not her. She hated how she seemed to be different. Although she lead the same life, ate the same things, studied, went out, did everything the same way they did, she felt like she was the odd one out. Like she would never be chosen, like this ceremony, just like the previous one would end with her walking home, never having met the one who was meant for her.

Although she was scared of suddenly being given to a stranger in a way, she wished for the love others received. It was never-ending, unconditional.

For some reason, Maya felt like she didn't deserve it.

But as her mother signaled her to leave, she couldn't help wishing that she would be chosen.

Just an hour later, the petite brunette was standing in a huge crowd of similarly dressed girls. The enormous room they were in held nothing but some chairs for those who were faint, a soft, peach colored light illuminating it, but only barely. If she turned a little, she could see what seemed like hundreds of doors, all of them the same gray.

Maya took a deep breath, her fake yet hopefully convincing smile faltering for a few moments as she saw more and more girls leave, their names being called by a small woman who was beaming at them with glee. What was weird, that from her age, only a few had been called in. Maya knew this, because all eighteen-year-olds were wearing dresses similar to hers. A soft pink, maybe the bolder ones a little darker or even neon.

The ones a year younger were wearing white, why those who were older than her were wearing yellow. Many of them had been chosen, running off into small rooms as they squealed with glee.

For them, being chosen meant that they were meeting their soul-mate, the one they were to love until their last breath.

Every year, this ceremony was held. It had become a tradition just a few decades ago when humans discovered that even if they hold no magical power, they have someone who's destined to be with them until their end. As finding them, given that they only lived for a short time, was practically impossible, help had been requested from immortal creatures.

In exchange for never being hunted, tiny, frail fairies had granted them their magic. Every year, they flew to a chosen town of humans, gathering all of them between the ages of seventeen and twenty-five. Using their powers, they would help humans to find their beloved person.

No one knew how it worked, no one knew why they would be taken to smaller rooms once chosen, but no one really cared anymore.

The fact that they had a chance of living their short life to the fullest made them feel giddy, happy.

What they only wondered about sometimes, was why some people never met their fated ones.

This was what Maya was scared of... Of going to each ceremony with grace, and always returning home. A friend of hers, who was now in a blood red dress being twenty-four, was insanely close to it. Although she smiled, never fidgeting as names were called again and again, the younger could see through her mask. Deep down, she was trembling in fear.

But then, as Maya's eyes locked with frightened blue ones, suddenly, her name was called. The petite girl tensed, her eyes widened as she realized that it had truly been her who had been called.

"Kim Maya."

And again, her name.

With slow, hesitant steps the girl walked to the room a tiny fairy was pointing to, its heavy, iron door more and more intimidating as she got closer to it. Yet soon, it opened, revealing a small, cozy room.

In it, stood a boy she had never seen before, his soft, warm eyes boring into hers as she slowly stepped closer to him, her hands shaking lightly in thrill as a new emotion, pure love filled her whole being.

She was home.