Chapter 2. Llamar (To call)

Foreign Exchange

Second Chapter.

I swear I'm trying my best.

Comment and subscribe, ok? ^_^

 

 
 
Anna POV 
 
 
My alarm went off like every morning, and even if I had no early classes today, I still had to take Noa to school.
I followed our morning routine and said goodbye to her, promising to be on time today.
My Linguistics class was not until two, so instead of rushing to do chores like I usually do on this time, I went straight home and passed out on my bed.
Being a responsible adult is hard.
Today is one of those days where I get selfish and think of how different my life would be if I didn't have to support a four year old.
I could go out and meet new people.
I wouldn't have to rush everywhere and keep up with the upbringing of a child.
I wouldn't have to spend hours managing our money so we could make it to the end of the month.
I perhaps, could even have the time to find love.
I felt the need to cry, but no tears came. I haven't cried ever since I left Spain. 
And I tried many times, trust me, I tried really hard.
If only my uncle and my aunt didn't do what they did and leave us to pick up the pieces.
The anger rose in me and I felt the same old desperation settle in, accompanied by the tiredness that had overcome me after months of not understanding and of no answers.
I love Noa, with all of my heart.
I'm just not fit to raise her.
I'm twenty years old. I have no money, no degree, no permanent job, and an uncertain future.
The only reason she is with me and not back home is because my family wanted to keep her away from everything that was happening.
And also because they couldn't take care of Noa and Alex and all the others while also taking care of the legal consequences that the actions of my aunt and uncle had brought.
Hours passed.
I laid on my bed, completely silent.
Of all the times we had struggled when I was a kid, the adults in my family always found a way to pull through. No matter what.
And now here I am, and I need to find the path that will take us through... But I am completely lost.
My warning alarm went off and I got up, stretching.
I looked outside the window.
"Everything will be fine. I will find the way." I told myself, watching the grey skies.
 
----------------------------------------------•••
 
"Welcome to Happy Cafe!" I cheered from the counter and served the customers.
Ahjuma had gone out to attend some matters, and she would be back right before I left.
I was at work, with barely an hour left before I got to go home and take a nice, long bath and fulfill my promise to watch Sailor Moon with Noa.
The things she makes me do.
Thinking of the long night that awaited me, I didn't hear the bell announce a new customer.
"Excuse me." 
The voice brought me back to reality.
I snapped and jolted back, bowing.
"I'm sorry, I should have been more attentive." I said before even looking up. "Welcome to Happy Cafe, what can I get for you?" I did my best to smile once I looked up.
I was a bit taken aback by who I saw on the other side.
"Mr. Luhan! How unexpected to see you so soon." My smile relaxed. "What can I get for you?"
"Bubble tea please" he said in the same serious, yet softer tone than yesterday. "Also, I'll take it here instead of to go."
"Sure. Coming up!" I looked at him in the eye. "3000 won please." I held up three fingers.
"Actually, can I get a slice of chocolate cake as well?" He said in his ever stoic face.
"Of course. That will be 6500 won."
He put his hand on his pocket and brought his wallet out.
"I didn't forget this time." He commented.
"Good, because I don't have 6500 won on me." I chuckled.
He gave me the tiniest of smiles.
"If you plan on staying please sit down, I will take everything to you." 
He nodded and took a seat with his back to the window, facing straight towards the counter.
I turned and made the drink, not wanting to make him wait.
I put everything on the tray and walked to his table.
"Here you go. Please enjoy." I bowed slightly and returned to my duties.
Time passed and in the blink of an eye, thirty minutes had gone by.
Luhan was still here, reading a book of sorts, and sipping on his second cup of bubble tea.
The cafe was peaceful. Barely any customers came at this hour and the atmosphere felt very homely. Actually, right now Luhan was the only one inside besides myself.
I was busy cleaning trays when the bell rang once again.
"Welcome to Happy Cafe!" I called.
I watched as three very obnoxious looking girls came in and made their way to the counter.
"What a filthy looking place" one whispered to the other loud enough for me to hear it.
I froze.
I focused and looked at them straight on, waiting for their order so I could send them away as quickly as possible.
"Everything on the menu looks like it has a million carbs." Complained one.
"This place is so low class, we shouldn't have come in here Bommie." Another said to the girl who seemed to be the leader.
I smiled, but my happiness did not get past my lips.  
"Would you like anything today miss?" I asked politely.
"Do you have anything that's carb free, fat free, and sugar free?" She spoke with a rather unpleasant tone.
"... Water." I answered matter of factly.
I heard a quickly hushed snort from Luhan. I looked at him and he looked back, hiding his mouth behind his book. I was pleased someone had enough IQ to catch the beauty of my comment.
I gave him a quick eye smile and turned my attention to a very offended customer.
"Besides that there is nothing. My apologies. Can I interest you in something else?" I answered in monotone, looking at her through dead eyes.
"No need." She waved her hand around. "Just water" The girl named Bommie commanded me a bit too loudly.
I turned and passed her a cup filled with tap water.
She didn't move from the counter and took a sip.
She spit the water out instantly.
"Hey you! You dare give me tap water!? That's only for poor people like you!" She yelled and threw the rest of the water at my face.
I was used to this treatment from people like them, so I didn't flinch. I simply opened my eyes once the water wave had passed and looked at them with the same dead smile.
"If that is all I can do for you today miss, see you next time." I bowed.
She clenched her jaw and fumed out of the cafe.
Once she was out of sight I grabbed a towel and dried my hair and face.
I turned to Luhan, who wore an expression of shock.
"I am sorry you had to witness that Mr. Luhan." I bowed.
He shook his head as if to say it was ok.
I gave him a quick nod and went back to cleaning trays like nothing had happened. I also washed the water off the floor and the counter, making sure I didn't miss anything.
All the while I noticed Luhan was staring at me.
At one point I looked in his direction and stared back, wondering what he wanted.
He opened his mouth to say something, but he never got the chance.
"I'm back!" Ahjuma's voice called from the back.
He closed his mouth and looked back to his book.
"Welcome back." I turned to greet her, seeing he wasn't going to speak after all.
"Yo!" She said appearing. She stopped and looked at me. "What happened? Why is your hair wet?" She asked concerned.
"Nothing important. Just some snobby brats." I rolled my eyes.
"Those infernal children!" She exclaimed angry.
"It's ok ahjuma, I can handle them." I chuckled.
"They better not try anything, I will beat them up." She said.
"I don't doubt it." I nodded firmly.
I went back and changed into my street clothes and came back to the front.
"You did well today. Now go and get Noa, if you are late today you will get in trouble with that Sailor fanatic." She shook her head. "The things she puts you through sometimes." She chuckled.
"I only forgive her because she is four years old." I told her and bowed. "I'll see you tomorrow then."
"Take care"
I was about to go when I noticed Luhan getting up.
I turned and also bowed to him.
"Thank you for everything Mr. Luhan, and I apologize again for today." 
He looked at me and shook his head a little. He then bowed his head.
"It was no problem Ms. Anna." He stated and left.
I watched him go, worried he might not come back to the cafe after what he witnessed.
"You know his name?" Ahjuma's voice made me jump. "And what's more, he knows yours?"
"It sort of just happened." I shrugged and bid her farewell one more time.
I got out and biked to the kindergarden, cutting it close like always, but on time.
"Noa!" I called once I got in. "Let's go home!"
"Sailor Moon!!!" She yelled as she ran to put her coat on.
"Unnie's doing fine you know, it's not like I need you to greet me or anything." I squatted down and looked at her with fake bitterness.
She stopped and looked at me without a single thread of visible guilt.
"But you already know me" she replied.
I sighed.
"Fine. Let's go midget." I told her, zipping her coat.
"Neh~" she replied.
"Goodbye" I bowed to Ms. Rina.
"Bye Anna, have fun tonight." She smiled.
"Sure will" I rolled my eyes.
We left the school and casually biked back home. We came to a stop at a familiar streetlight, waiting for our turn to cross. I was focused on thinking about what to make for dinner when Noa stood up on the basket.
"Noa-"
"Luhan!" She exclaimed waving her arms to my side.
I turned, and sure enough, he was there.
The said guy turned his attention to us and was as surprised as myself.
"Hello" I bowed.
"Hello" he said back in his usual polite tone.
"Luhan" Noa said again. "Hello!" She smiled.
"Hello Noa." His face softened.
"Are you still nice?" She asked.
"I'm trying my best." He nodded.
"Good." The kid clapped. "Then since you are nice Luhan, pick me out." She said, lacking any kind of shame.
"Noa, you can't ask for that." I cut her. "And it's pick me up. Besides, we have to go see Sailor Moon... Unless you don't want to..."
"No! Sorry Luhan, we go see Sailor Moon. Pick me... Up next time!" She waved goodbye.
"S-sure. Bye bye Noa."
"Sorry, and goodbye Mr. Luhan."
"Goodbye Ms. Anna." 
I rode on, getting to our apartment soon after.
We spent hours watching Sailor Moon. I actually used to love this show when I was a kid, and to my surprise it was still kind of entertaining.
At around nine thirty Noa lost her battle against sleep and passed out on my lap.
I chuckled and carried her to bed.
I went back out and drunk my usual beer by the window.
My mind went back to today's incident. I wonder what Luhan was about to say. I should have asked him when I saw him.
Oh well, if he comes back to the cafe I will.
I finished the drink and began to clean up.
I was tidying up the room when my phone rang.
It was time.
 
 
Luhan POV
 
*back on EXO-M dorm*
 
"I'm back." I called as I closed the door.
"Welcome home Gege" Tao responded, coming down the stairs.
I went to my and Kris' room and changed into comfortable clothes.
I entered the living room and sat on the couch, where Lay was watching TV.
"You're back early." He commented.
"It's midnight." I pointed out.
"Exactly." He said.
I shrugged.
"I get bored at parties. I'm not like Kris or Bao Zi or Chen." He shook my head. "Besides, you and Tao didn't even go."
"I didn't feel like it, and you know Tao doesn't do too well with strangers."
I nodded lazily.
I got up and went to the kitchen. 
I poured myself some water and went back to the sofa.
Before drinking I inspected the cup, my mind going back to earlier today.
I wanted to ask if she was ok, but I'm not too good at choosing the right times to express concern for strangers.
I can't understand how she didn't even flinch at something so demeaning.
I shook my head.
It's none of my business anyways.
Her daughter is very cute though. She's the first person to tell me straight in a long time.
Is it her daughter? Maybe her sister...
Again, why do I care?
I stayed with Yixing, half watching what was on, half lost in thought.
"Yeobos! We are home!" I heard Kris call from the door.
I got up and walked to the entrance.
"Are you drunk?" I asked them.
"Ask princess warrior here." Xiumin bobbed his head to Kris. "I'm as sober as a monk."
"I only drunk a bit, so I'm still ok. I just find EVERYTHING Kris does extremely hilarious. Honestly, who is so competitive that they out drink four people in a row." Chen laughed.
"Why is he the one drunk?" I crossed my arms suspicious.
"Well..." Started Xiumin looking down guiltily.
"Some guy called Xiumin a coward for not entering a drinking game. Kris overheard that and took it upon himself to out drink the entire group." Chen finished.
I sighed. Leave it to Duizhang to go too far trying to take care of everyone.
"I'm ok" Kris slurred. "Really, don't worry, Mr. Luhan."
I wrinkled my nose. I don't like when people call me that.
Which reminds me I have to tell Anna to stop calling me that if I want to keep on going to the cafe.
Kris came and pinched my cheeks, and I pushed him back.
I sighed and helped Xiumin carry him to his bed, where he passed out.
"Next time, you are going to carry yourself back home." Bao Zi huffed as he put him down. "Good night Lulu" he told me.
"Good night. Close the door on your way out." I told him. I turned to our leader. "And you have to stop trying to go overboard." I shook my head.
A light snore was all the response I got.
I walked over to my bed and finally decided to go to sleep.
I can't believe I start school in less than a week already.
Oh well, at least I found a good bubble tea place. That was my biggest concern anyways.
 
 
Anna POV
 
The phone call from home had been a long one.
Again they said to hold on to Noa for a little longer. They said they were sorry. They said they sent me some money and that soon it'd be over.
My mom told me even our extended family came to visit to make sure we were ok.
She said they send me regards.
My mother sounded so tired.
For a moment I considered dropping everything and going back home.
But I know better. 
I need my degree to be of any help in the future.
Besides, I like my life here. I'm poor and I barely get any sleep between work, Noa and school, but at least it's my life to live.
I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the studio mirror.
Enough of thinking about home for now. This one hour is mine and mine alone, and I can't waste it.
I relaxed and sunk into my position.
The music began and I started to practice my contemporary choreography.
For as long as the music filled the air I left my mind blank.
This is the only thing that I do exclusively for me.
Dancing.
Only when I dance I'm not thinking of money struggles or school or home or anything at all.
It's just me and the music. I can choose how to feel, what to feel.
This is the time I'm most aware that I'm alive.
The only time when it's ok for nothing to make sense. The world is hollow and inexistent.
I practiced over and over, disregarding time for a while.
I gave one final leap and breathed out as the music ended.
I focused my eyes, coming back to the real world.
I sighed, already mentally going over all the mistakes I'd made.
"Do I have time to run it through once more?" I wondered out loud, looking towards the clock.
3:40
No, I don't.
I ran to the locker room and simply put some shoes and a coat on. My clothes were street looking enough.
"Goodbye sir" I bowed to the custodian on my way out of the building.
"Bye" he replied.
I biked to work, once again. 
"I'm here!" I ran up the stairs and came back down quickly, getting on my spot.
"You look happy today." Ahjuma commented.
"My choreography is coming along great." I told her.
"Does that mean you'll present it for the show?"
Ah.... The annual dance performance in school... If only.
"We'll see." I simply said.
The bell rung.
"Welcome to happy cafe!"
And so my work began.
It was an hour until I got out, and I casually wondered if Luhan would show up.
I couldn't help but think he might not.
The door opened and to my surprise, there he was.
"Hello" a now familiar voice answered.
"What will it be today Mr. Luhan?" I asked.
"Bubble tea and strawberry shortcake." He responded.
"5000 won please"
He payed and sat down.
People don't usually pay upfront, but I think he believes he owes me to do so everytime now.
What a silly guy.
Soon I made my way to the table and set everything down.
"Here you go. Enjoy" I bowed and went back to the counter.
Time passed and without an incident, it was time for me to go.
I took my apron off and got out from behind the counter.
"Pardon me." Luhan said.
"Yes? May I help you?" I walked over.
"About yesterday... Are you ok?" He inquired.
I was taken aback by his concern.
"Ah, yes. It's ok. It happens every once in a while. I'm used to it." I shrugged.
"I see. Your hair was wet and it was cold so I thought... Maybe you got sick." He said with the same serious face.
"No, no! I have a very strong immune system. It's almost inhuman." I joked.
He gave me a half sided smile for a second.
"Sorry to worry you, I'm glad that didn't scare you from coming back to our cafe." I bowed.
"It didn't... Also." He said, a little louder than usual.
"Yes?"
"Could you not call me Mr. Luhan?"
I looked at him curiously.
"Sure. What name do you prefer?"
"Luhan is fine."
"Are you sure?" Calling him informally might be rude.
He nodded.
"Then you must also call me Anna. To tell the truth I hate formality." I told him.
"That is fine by me." He replied.
"Ok, I will see you later then... Luhan." I hesitated.
"See you next time Anna." He simply answered.
I went back to change and by the time I was done, Luhan had already left.
I left and picked Noa up.
We rode home in silence and simply ate dinner, no lively conversation today.
As I ate, my mind casually went to Luhan.
He seems like a pleasant enough guy. I hope he visits often, he doesn't nag me with stupid requests like most customers.
If only they all were like him, everything would be so much more enjoyable for all of us.
Oh well, if he keeps on coming back I might just have to ask him to be my friend.
I chuckled at my grade school thinking and carried Noa and myself to bed, turning the light off for the day.