CHAPTER 4

The Heart Wishes What The Head Dreams

4

JB

            “Ya! Pali Pali!” Jiyeon shouted as she knocked on my door.

            “Chamkkanman!!” I was getting real irritated by the sound of her voice. This girl seriously, we were just made out to be natural enemies. I couldn’t possibly think of why Miss Kahi would pair the two of us together, we’re just not compatible to one another.

            I didn’t mean to sound like such a chick but I was fixing my hair – you see, there’s a flower boy code we abide by; and that is we must remain pretty at all times. I sound so snobbish, but everyone knows there is absolutely no-one more snooty than good ol’ Seung-Ri towards ‘the ugly’.

            Anyhow, Jiyeon’s patience was wearing thin as we had to move on to occupy the dance studio before it was too late. It was normally during this time in the evening that it would be made available to just us. Finally, we departed from the dorms and were already on our way to the studio.

            Our walks were kind of awkward; none of us ever said a word whenever we ambled down to the studio. So we just decided to be silent until we reached it, however that was until I reckoned it was time to break our normal routine.

            “Sooo … nice weather we’re having today isn’t it?” I asked forcing a smile on my face. But in return she raised an eyebrow, probably wondering what I was doing.

            “Are you trying to make conversation with me?”

            “Well … yeah” She rolled her eyes “Hey in case you haven’t noticed, I don’t like this anymore than you do! So we might as well make the best of it”

            “Fine. Whatever” We returned back to our usual silence, except this time Jiyeon started making conversation “So … What’s with Taecyeon lately?”

            “Humph,” I sneered a little “most of the time he’s in his room when he doesn’t have any classes, and when he does he’s just silent”

            “Yeah. Same with Suzy”

            “What about Yoona?”

            “Surprisingly, she’s acting as though nothing ever happened!” That was surprising to my ears. Especially taking into account it was Yoona that was cheated on “She attends class regularly, talks to us in the same Yoona-like way, but the only thing is she acts as though Taecyeon and Suzy were nothing but a distant memory. In fact, she acts as though they don’t exist at all!”

            “Well, I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”

            “Yeah, definitely” Jiyeon agreed. For the first time we actually talked as people, not as a pair of two petty toddlers going at each other, but as actual people! I was just completely dumbfounded that we had managed to keep a conversation going this long without it emerging any stupid, dirty fights with words. And honestly, I liked it. But still, we are enemies no matter what.

            “Jiyeonah” A strange guy called from behind. But Jiyeon just scoffed and kept walking. As for me, I kept looking back, then soon after tried catching up to Jiyeon.

            “Jiyeon who is that guy?” I asked.

            “No-one. Just keep walking”

            “Ya! Jiyeonah!” That guy continued to try and grab her attention, shortly after he caught up and blocked her path. “Ya! Why’re you walking away from me?”

            “Go away Woo-Young. Ka!” She resumed walking.

            “Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!” He blocked her once again. This ‘Woo-Young’ guy was really starting to get on my nerves “Who’s this guy huh? Your new boyfriend?”

            “Ya” I was getting a little pissed off with him now “Didn’t you hear what she said before? Leave”

            “Oh so this guy likes to talk huh? Tough guy yeah?” He shoved me. I was about to do the same until Jiyeon moved in between us.

            “Woo-Young go away!” Jiyeon then faced me “JB! He’s not worth it. Just let it go” As much as I wanted to punch this guy all the way to the hospital, I stopped.

            She grabbed my arm and once again continued our walk down to the studio which was just up ahead. But Woo-Young sneaked up from behind as I turned around, giving him the opportunity to allow a clear jab directly to my face. I fell helplessly to the ground feeling dizzy and faint, I noticed Jiyeon beside me kneeling down hoping I fully regain consciousness.

            “Ya! JB! Wake up! Wake up!” She cried “Why did you do that for?!” Now yelling at Woo-Young. But Woo-Young pulled her up by the arm and drew her close within his grasp.

            “I won’t stop. Not until you’re mine again”

            “You’re crazy!! Leave us alone” She tried pushing him away, but he was still too strong for her.

            “You’re mine, Jiyeon. Don’t forget that” He re-emphasised his point. Soon after he walked off, Jiyeon came to my attention helping me up.

            “Come on; let’s get you to the nurse”

            “Who was that guy?” My face was aching.

            “He’s … my ex” Judging from the tone of her voice, she sounded pretty ashamed “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have gotten you into this”

 

 

Kahi

            “Kahi-ya!” Fei-Fei walked into the staffroom carrying with her the most beautiful bouquet of lilac azaleas. And they were in full bloom too which was just lovely.

            “Wah! Jinjja daebak!” Gyuri was stunned at the exquisiteness of the bouquet.

            “Uh-huh, and they’re for you too” She handed them over to me. I had a pretty good guess where they were from; if anyone knew me better than myself, I would’ve immediately concluded they were from Nichkhun himself. Attached to the bouquet was a small card reading:

            It’s your birthday soon noona,

             and I’ll be there to celebrate it with you.

  • N.H.

“Wow you have an admirer!” Gyuri leaned over my shoulder to take a peek at the card “N.H.? Aren’t those western initials? Is he American? No wait, British?!”

“Oh I just hope he’s cute” Fei-Fei smiled “And he must know you very well! Lilac azaleas are your favourite! But yeah who is he? Is he cute?”

“Humph. More than you will ever know” I muttered under my breath “He’s no-one guys, really”

“No-one?! Honey, no man ever sends their love through a bouquet of their lover’s favourite flowers then simply gets over them. Whoever he is, chances are that he feels as though you are something special and close to his heart” Gyuri made a point.

“Yeah Kahi eonni. Give this guy a chance, so far he’s doing pretty good. Heck, he’s even swept me off my feet and those flowers aren’t even for me!” Fei-Fei agreed.

“No look, guys, it’s not that simple okay?” I was trapped in a dilemma. The girls were practically telling me to love Nichkhun back (without them knowing who N.H. was), but still, I knew what was right. Nichkhun and I just can’t happen, it shouldn’t happen! “Fei-Fei, Gyuri. Say this guy was … a few years younger than me …”

“How many years younger than you?”

“Oh, just a few”

“Then I say go for it!”

“Yeah Gyuri’s right” Fei-Fei agreed “To be honest, age is but a number. So what if he’s like, I don’t know, 2 or 3 years younger than you?” Try 7 years younger. I thought to myself “He’s obviously in love with you, right?” I nodded.

“Kahi eonni. You only love once” I smiled “Unless of course you marry then divorce 3 times throughout your whole middle-aged life and at that point I’d call you a slu-“

“Gyuri-ya!” Fei-Fei interrupted “Anyhow Kahi, just give him a chance is all we’re saying. It’s been a while since you’ve actually put yourself out there; maybe it’s time you start dating, I mean, look at you! You’re hot!”

“Come on Kahi! Live a little!” I felt so unsure on what to do. Perhaps if I told them N.H. was Nichkhun, would they still be encouraging me to give him a chance? But instead after deciding on my own, I figured I would allow him take me out on my birthday wherever he plans to do so.

 

 

Daesung

            I had just finished practising my routine with Hyorin – it wasn’t exactly spot-on but we’re getting there. It was almost 5.30pm and after dancing intensely I headed down to the coffee shop for something delicious and enjoyable to eat; pretty much anything that would allow me to relax.

            However as I entered, I noticed only a few people there – one of them being Yoona having coffee alone. Everyone may think she’s doing alright after the breakup, but I can see truthfully right through her supposed happiness she’s dying inside.

            “Yoona-ya!” I called her; she turned around and instantly smiled waving towards me as I approached her.

            “Hey!” She greeted as I sat down “Did you just have dance practice?” I nodded.

            “So, what are you doing here?”

            “Oh, nothing much. Just thought I’d relax and take my mind off a few things you know? Besides, what else can I do at the dorms?” She asked rhetorically, and then carried on drinking her coffee. From what IU has been telling me, Yoona has mostly been spending her time here at the coffee shop everyday afterschool until 7pm. Then she heads down to the dorms, showers, and sleeps it off only to wake up early before anyone else to get dressed and have breakfast here once again. And this is all because she shares a room with Suzy; now that would’ve been terrifyingly awkward.

When IU and the girls claimed she acts as though Suzy and Taecyeon don’t exist at all to her, they definitely weren’t joking. Yoona is still in heart aching pain and like I said, I can see right through her.

            “Come on” I grabbed my bag and stood up.

            “What? What are you doing?”

            “Let’s go! If you spend all your time here mostly in this coffee shop, pretty soon you’re going to turn it into your own home as cat lady!” She looked confused, but I didn’t have time for this so I grabbed her bag then pulled her wrist out of this now-verboten place.

            “Ya! Daesung-ah my arm! It hurts!” After dragging her out of there successfully, I called a taxi and asked him to drive us to SM Town’s food district which wasn’t too far – perhaps only a 15-minute drive. On our way there Yoona held onto her wrist and pouted cutely, even when she was sad like this she was still adorable, making me grin “Why’re we going to the food district?”

            “Because having pancakes and coffee for breakfast, or coffee and coffee cake for lunch, or a steak sandwich and coffee for dinner isn’t a proper diet! No more coffee! Ever! Not in a million years and not even in a million and one years!”

            “Fine” She poked her tongue. I can tell she was starting to get angry at me but I didn’t mind, it actually made my grin. I’d rather she be angry than heartbroken for the rest of her life.

            When arriving at the food district, we walked to all sorts of food stalls selling various dishes such as sannakji, saengson gui and yukhoe. As I turned to her she wasn’t exactly impressed, I rolled my eyes and continued to walk down the district in where this time they were selling soups and stews including miyeok guk, oritang, galbitang and manduguk. This time her interest was caught, but her whole attention wasn’t. We continued to stroll down and finally we hit the jackpot – galbi, samyeopsal, andong jjimdak and makchang gui. I looked over to Yoona’s face and watched her as she her lips while staring at the galbi – bingo. I thought to myself.

            I asked the vendor for one to eat here and the rest to go, but as I handed her the galbi for her to eat, she shook her head.

            “It’s fine Daesung. I’m not hungry”

            “Come on Yoona! I saw you eyeing it before!”

            “No really, it’s fine” Aisshh!! This girl really?! I thought to myself. But after rejecting my paid dinner for her I noticed a crate beside the stall. I quickly moved and pushed it out to where crowds of people were walking through the district.

            “What are you doing?” She queried. Instead of answering back, I just smiled at her as I hopped onto the top of the crate “Ya! Get down!”

            I took in a deep breath and with the loudest voice I could possibly make, I screeched out “DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap* DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap* DAAAEE-” Yoona pulled my arm down bringing my face close to her.

            “Ya Stop it!”

            “Nuh-uh! Not until you eat what I paid for … DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap* DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap*”

            “Daesung you’re embarrassing me!”

            “That’s not embarrassing you, this is embarrassing you … IM YOONA! DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap* IM YOONA DAAAEEEE HAN MIN GUK! *clap-clap, clap-clap-clap*” A few members of the crowd were starting to join in, even shouting out Yoona’s name. Soon after the chant was joined in by the street vendors and a few Chinese tourists near the makchang gui stall.

            “Okay okay I’ll eat your stupid galbi!” She was bursting in laughter.

            “There she is!” I grinned happily as I hopped down “There’s the smiling Yoona I know!” She couldn’t help herself; laughing and nearly dropping to the ground.

            After a great dinner at SM Town’s food district, we found ourselves at the dorms walking back to her room along the corridor.

            “I swear Daesungie, is there anything you can’t do?” She beamed happily “You never fail to make me laugh”

            “Yeah well, anything to snap you out of your misery” We both chuckled.

            “Oh! And by the way, I know you and Hyorin have only been dance partners for like, a week and a bit. But, is there any chance we could be dance partners for the big showcase? I mean, that’s if you want-”

            “Yes!” I smiled “Yes of course!” We giggled. As we were both about to part, Yoona leaned forward and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

            “Thanks Daesung. I’m so glad to have you as a friend”