Chapter 15

It's All Lies [H I A T U S]

I stared at the unfamiliar ceiling above me. I sighed. How did I even get myself into these kinds of things? A week ago, I pictured the following days doing the usual; reading  a new novel I borrowed from the school library, eating alone at one corner, and  snuggling with my stuff toys while watching the new episode of America’s Next Top Model. Not sleeping at someone else’s house because I accidentally lost my keys on my way home and watched a fight. Argh Eunkyung you’re so stupid! 

A creek from the door at the other side of the room pulled me out of thoughts. 

“Eonnie?” a small voice croaked. I sat up my bed and saw Minji holding a bear between her small arms. Her eyes were red and puffy, as if she just cried. 

“Yes? What’s wrong?” I asked as I got out of the bed and towards her. 

“I had a bad dream.” She answered and hugged her bear tighter. 

I brought her up to my arms and carried her across the room and towards the bed. “It’s okay.” I assured. “It’s just a dream after all. Mind to tell me what your dream was about?” 

“I-it’s about Father.” She replied. Her voice broke with the mention of her father as tears threatened to spill again. 

“No, no, no, no! Don’t cry!” I coaxed. “It’s okay. It’s just a dream. It won’t happen.” I promised as I cradled her in my arms. 

A few minutes of cradling and her breathing started to relax. She stopped crying and I assumed that she was already asleep. 

I wondered back when she mentioned her father. She seemed scared. I wonder what her dream was about. I shook my head and pushed the thought behind my head. It’s none of my business so I should stop meddling with things cause as you can see, it always doesn’t end up good. 

I watched the sleeping figure in my arms and yawned. Looking at her sleep made me sleepy too. I planned on bringing her back to her room but then decided against it since I didn’t know where her room was and I might enter someone else’s room and be mistaken as a thief or a kidnapper. Not a good scene. 

So I slowly placed her down beside me, making sure that she was comfortable before I laid down. I felt her cuddle closer to me and I smiled. Why didn’t I have a little sister? 

Now let’s see… One sheep, two sheep, three sheep, four sheep… 

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ 

“Taehyung! Daehyun!” Someone hissed. “Who is this young lady? We haven’t lasted for one month yet and you already brought a random girl home?! Explain this instant!” 

Crap. Now I’m awake. 

I heard shuffling of feet across the floor and stopped at the entrance of the door which I assume is now wide open. I still feel the steady breathing of Minji besides me meaning she was still asleep. Thank goodness. 

“Um… She’s our neighbor.” Daehyun replied as I continued pretending I was still in deep slumber. 

“And what is our neighbor doing in your room young man?” 

“She lost her keys so I offered her to stay for the night?” His statement sounded more like a question. 

“That better be it or else…” The voice threatened. 

“Or else what Mom?” Taehyung’s voice was finally heard. 

Their Mom appeared to be thinking for a while before finally saying, “No pancakes for a whole week.” She said smugly. I could even feel her smirk from afar. 

“What?!” “No you can’t do that!” The brothers both protested. 

“Of course I can!” She said back and walked off. They both groaned in response before earning a laugh from their mother. 

“Okay you could stop pretending to sleep now.” Taehyung spoke after making sure that their mother wasn’t in hearing distance. 

I smiled sheepishly after knowing that I wasn’t good at pretending to sleep. I wonder if their mother also knew that I was just pretending. That would be embarrassing. 

I carefully sat up making sure not to move Minji who was still fast asleep. I looked at them, afraid that they’re gonna start yelling at me but thankfully they didn’t. 

“Breakfast is served my lady.” Daehyun bowed down while gesturing down stairs.  Taehyung rolled his eyes and said, “I apologize for his stupidity.” 

I was taken aback when he talked. To me. Wasn’t he supposed to be mad at me? 

“No. I’m not supposed to be mad at you. Now go down stairs or we’re gonna devour the breakfast all by ourselves.” He warned. 

My eyes went wide. “You could read minds?” I muttered, shocked. 

“No I couldn’t read minds Eunkyung.” He denied like he was talking to a child. “You just voice out your thoughts a lot louder.” 

“Oh.” I mumbled idiotically. 

“Enough chit-chat! Let’s eat, I’m hungry!” Daehyun interjected. 

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ 

“I apologize again Mrs. Jung for the inconvenience. It was really irresponsible of me. I’ll do my best not to do it again.” I bowed my head in gratitude as she lead outside their home after feeding me breakfast. 

She dismissively waved her hands. “Nah, that’s nothing! It was a pleasure having you anyway.” She genuinely smiled at me and I smiled back. “And please don’t call me Mrs. Jung. Call me Mina instead, yes?” 

“O-of course!” I replied. “And thank you for the clothes; I’ll give it back to you after I washed it.” I added. 

She shook her head. “Oh that’s fine.” 

“I’ll be heading off now.” 

I was about to step out the house when Daehyun called out all of a sudden. “Eunkyung wait!” He was smiling from ear to ear when he approached me. “Would you like to go to the mall later? We were kind of planning to buy a gift for Minji since it’s her birthday next week. You could ask Krystal if she wants to come too.” He added. 

My eyes immediately lit up. I would definitely want to go to the mall since I haven’t done it for ages. I could buy new books while I’m there too. I nodded my head vigorously liking the idea. “I’d love to but I’ll still ask permission to my Dad.” 

“Oh, okay. I’ll pick you up at 6 okay?” 

I nodded again. It was a Friday morning meaning no classes tomorrow. I think Dad would let me go this time. And besides, it wasn’t really often that I go out. 

As soon as I entered the house (which was now unlocked credits to my Dad) I was greeted my father with an annoyed look on his face. He wasn’t too happy to see me. 

“Where have you been?” He snapped making my spine shake with anxiousness. 

“Uh… I slept over a friend’s house.” I stammered. 

He cocked his brow at me. “And why would you sleep over a friend’s house if you have a house of your own?” 

“I lost my keys on the way here so yeah…” I reasoned out leaving the part that that friend is apparently a guy; two guys to be exact. His mood would probably get sourer if he knew that. 

To my surprise, his eyes suddenly lit up as he hugged me tight. “I’m so proud of you!” He cried. “Look at you all grown up and now sleeping over a friend’s house.” He wiped a non-existent tear in his eyes. “I almost thought that you didn’t have any friends since you’re usually locked up inside your room watching that modelling show. Good thing I was wrong.” He proudly said. “We should celebrate.” He added. 

I laughed. “Dad there’s no need for that. And besides, my friend also invited me to go to the mall later this afternoon. If you won’t mind?” I squeaked the last part. 

“Pfft! Of course not! I should be happy, really. You’re starting to open up with other people finally. Your Mom would be so proud.” He replied. 

There was suddenly a thick tension felt between us. Dad doesn’t really mention Mom that often. I broke the silence that settled for a while first. “You’re right. She will be proud of me.” I nodded uneasily and broke the hug. “I’ll go get changed now.” I said and went up my room. 

I let out the breath I didn’t I was holding for a while. “That was close.” 

“Ya! You’re talking to yourself now?” 

I jumped from my place when I heard Taehyung from the window. It was then that I realized that it wasn’t just the terrace that’s adjacent to each other but the windows of my room and Taehyung’s as well. 

Well that’s just nice. 

“What are you doing?” I asked. 

“As you can see I’m talking to you.” He replied, adjusting his self at the window. 

“No, I know. I mean why?” I asked confusedly. “Why are you talking to me?” 

“Because I want to.” He pointed out in a matter-of-factly tone. 

I cocked my head to the side. “But aren’t you supposed to be mad at me?” I shrugged. “You know because of me you lost in that street fight. If I wasn’t there you could’ve-“ 

“Shut up.” He cut off. “It wasn’t your fault. Just forget about it okay? It’s fine. And sorry ‘cause I snapped at you. It was really unintentional; I just had a bad day I guess.” He shrugged. 

I nodded and let out a sigh of relief. I thought that he would be greatly mad at me for ruining that fight; too mad to avoid me for the rest of his life. Good thing I was wrong. 

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ 

“Omygoodness we’re going shopping!” Krystal shrieked. 

It was already past 4:30 pm so it was time to get ready and Krystal here besides me couldn’t contain her excitement even just for one second. She was wearing a simple skinny jeans and a simple tank top but somehow, she managed to make it look cute on her; one thing I was jealous of. She kept rummaging through my closet to look for the (according to her) ‘perfect’ clothes for me. 

She groaned when she found nothing. “There’s nothing to wear inside your closet!” She remarked. 

“Of course there is!” I picked one of the pants that managed to make through the pile of clothes that Krystal kept throwing across the room. “How about this?” I suggested holding up the piece of clothing for her to see. 

She made a face that says ‘Hell no’ and grabbed the pants away from my grasp. She pointed at the pants and said, “This is like the pants of my grandmother. It’s too baggy for your small frame.” 

I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t hurt with her remark but I must admit that she was right. I am indeed lame in picking out clothes. Well growing up with guys doesn’t really help much either. 

“I’m not going to a date Krystal, so no need to be too dressed.” I complained. 

She frowned. “Wearing the proper clothes wouldn’t be too dressed for the mall, trust me.” 

“But my clothes are fine!” I argued. 

“No.” She said firmly. “Good thing I brought some clothes with me since I kind of known this would happen.” She gave me the clothes and shooed me off the bathroom; almost making me trip on my feet. 

Gee, thanks.