Prologue

For Heaven's Sake, Hit the Brake

It was out of nowhere.

 

“If you had a bucket list, what would be on it?”

 

The question came from Luhan, who had graduated last year but still hadn’t found a job so he took that as an invitation to lounge around campus doing things he hadn’t had the chance to do before. Like lying on picnic tables and pushing textbooks onto the ground.

 

Minseok, on the other hand, had actually found a job and had ditched Luhan to become a clerk of a small software company. Luhan had been moping for weeks.

 

“What’s on your bucket list?” Luhan repeated.

 

Yixing was so surprised by the question that he completely stopped highlighting and stared at Luhan’s calf contemplatively.

 

Yifan wasn’t nearly as affected. He had a research paper due the next day–it was only the first week, what the hell?–and frankly he didn’t care what Luhan prattled on about. Until his textbook was shoved off the table. He grabbed the book hastily before shouting, “what the hell?”

 

Luhan merely raised an eyebrow before propping himself up on his elbows and fixing his attention onto Yixing. “How about it, Xing? Bucket list.” He glanced impassively at his nails before deciding that the silence had gone on for too long. “You know what that is, right?”

 

Yixing startled and averted Luhan’s eyes, looking down. “Um, vaguely?”

 

“It’s stuff you want to do before you die.”

 

Luhan’s eyes immediately lit up and he launched himself from the table onto the newcomer. “My love!”

 

Minseok groaned under the weight and staggered before Luhan delightedly jumped back and dragged him over to the picnic table.

 

“Minnie, you first.”

 

Minseok took about three seconds to answer. “I want to tell my parents something."

 

Luhan frowned, displeased with the answer. "You have to be specific."

 

Minseok shook his head and playfully poked Luhan's cheek, chuckling when his hand was batted away. "You'll find out after I tell them.”

 

The pink-haired man scowled and crossed his arms.

 

Minseok looked over to Yixing. “So, what do you think?” He asked while ruffling Luhan’s hair.

 

Yixing’s face scrunched up in thought and Luhan was momentarily stopped from pushing Minseok off the bench because Yixing could be seriously adorable when he wanted to be. “I think...” he paused, voice quiet and lilting, “I would like to dance on stage. Just once.” He quickly added before practically face-planting into his notes.

 

Luhan smiled and turned to Kris who dusting off his textbook with an angry expression. “Your turn.”

 

“No.”

 

“Fine. I’ll go first. But you’re next.” Luhan tapped his chin and stared at the sky for a second before abruptly turning in his seat. He rested his chin on Minseok’s shoulder and grinned. “I want to win a game.”

 

Any game?” Yixing asked, voice muffled by his hand.

 

“Some kind of athletic game.”

 

“Like, say, football?” Minseok sang, laughing as Luhan pushed his face away.

 

“Right,” he snapped, shoving Minseok away when the man tried to smother him in a hug. “Your turn, Yifan.”

 

“I want to pass this class before I die,” Yifan grumbled out, flipping the slightly creased page.

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Nope. You can’t do that.” He slammed his hand down on the book, forcing the blond to look up and meet his searing gaze. “Pick a thing. Stop being such a killjoy.”

 

Yifan groaned because Luhan has been and always will be a pain in his side. He’d thought that the man would go away after he’d graduated but it looks like he was sorely mistaken. He dropped his pen onto the table and looked around. They’re sitting under a tree. He could just tell Luhan that he wanted to climb a tree, not like it mattered. He was just about to speak when he heard something behind him and–there. That. He watched as a lanky boy pulled on a sleek black helmet and slid a leg over the shiny body of a motorcycle. He was hit by genuine interest and he frowned.

 

“Yifan. Give me an answer now,” Luhan whined.

 

“I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle," he said eyes trailing over the defined curves and sharp edges of the motorcycle, tracing them with a more than a mere modicum of intrigue.

 

Surprisingly, Luhan only gave a unconvinced snort, "Yifan, you couldn't even ride the merry go round last month without freaking out and screaming at us to push the brakes."

 

"I am a changed man," was his only reply, tone even as he heard the loud roar as the motorcycle started up, humming with power. The rider leaned against the body before throttling it and shifting gears quickly until he was out of the park, leaving a buzzing in his wake.

 

"No seriously, what's on your bucket list," Luhan persisted, because Luhan is a condescending , "You're one to chase dreams of shaking hands with the president or volunteer at a primate reserve, not hop on a super bike and ride into the sunset. Very y by the way, nice try."

 

Yifan snapped out of his daze to give Luhan a very annoyed glance, "I'm serious, it's not that hard to believe."

 

"Frankly, it is," Luhan replied with a patronizing smile, "You are studying to be a vet and save the soft and fluffy, you getting on a bike–a machine of power and speed–is the opposite of saving lives. It's...it's..."

 

"Suicide?" Yixing quipped, head peeking up from behind his notes, seriously, it's only the first week.

 

"Exactly," Luhan added with emphasis by pointing at Yixing to prove his, well, point.

 

Yifan rolled his eyes, "I gave you an answer," slinging his backpack over one shoulder, "It's on my bucket list, Santa will make sure it happens."

 

"Christmas isn't for another five months, ," Luhan deadpanned, "This isn't a list Kris Kringle is going to check if you've been naughty or nice. It's practically a life list, or in your case, a list of way to die if you’re really serious about riding a motorcycle."

 

There are times Yifan prides himself for his calm and collected composure, but Luhan had a knack for making him impulsive, "I bet I can learn how to ride a motorcycle in a month and not suffer long lasting injury."

 

"I believe in you!" Minseok cheered, a great friend really, "But, if you do die, can I have all your BB cream?" Nope, Minseok is a terrible, cheap friend.

 

"Fannie, I hate to break your dreams but where will you even get lessons?" Luhan continued, determined to save YiFan's life by doing exactly that–breaking his dreams.

 

"Well..." he drawled out, panicking when he saw the briefest hint of a smirk grace Luhan's face, "That guy with the black motorcycle!" he finished quickly.

 

Luhan's eyes widened in disbelief, "Tao? The quiet delinquent rumored to have, and I quote, killed a man with his bare hands."

 

"Yes?"

 

Shaking his head, Luhan placed a hand on the taller’s shoulder, "If you don't die in a motorcycle accident, that kid will murder you. It's a die-die situation, my friend."

 

"That's ridiculous," he countered weakly, but what if he was right? Kris didn't even know the guy's name. He totally could run him over without a second thought.

 

Luhan shrugged, obviously done with the conversation, and wrapped a firm arm around Minseok, "Minnie, my bucket list has lots in store for you and me, let's get started," and without a pause, hauled the chubby boy along with him as he chattered about weekend dates and grandchildren.

 

Yifan sighed, the sudden turn of events giving him a headache and decided to walk home and take a nap. He tried to imagine all the scenarios in which he could ask this Tao guy about motorcycle lessons that would not end up with his head crushed under the tires, he only came up with one scenario--and it included drugging Tao up so he could only say yes. Not very healthy, or legal, but the tension in his head grew and he decided to instead walk home in silence, hushing thoughts of death away.

 

One hour later Yixing finally looked up from his psychology textbook, wondering where his friends had gone.