Chapter 3

Making Us

SiWon gripped the phone tightly as he picked it up off the wall. He knew who it was.

“Good morning sir,” he answered, eyes closing as a reflex action while bracing himself.

“SiWon. I’m calling to ask about the land,” a dry voice said from the other end.

“It’s.. not yet prepared, sir. It will be, I-”

“I’m not amused SiWon. You know we need that land to seal this deal,” the other voice told him, and he flinched.

“Yes sir. i know. Is it not possible to use another plot of land, sir? there are many others available,” SiWon asked, knowing from the silence that followed, that he had said the wrong thing.

“are you asking me to change my mind?” the voice asked after an endless pause.

“no sir, I was just-” he was cut off yet again.

“I thought not. You know I don’t change my mind. No, SiWon. I need that specific plot of land. It was what was agreed upon,” the voice replied.

“very well sir,” SiWon said.

“I’ll give you a week.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Have a good day.”

“Yes sir.” with that, the dial tone once again echoed through the line. SiWon paced his breathing as he heard his door swing open tentatively, and turned to see EunHyuk standing there, nervous.

“EunHyuk. What can I do for you?” he asked, forcing a smile onto his face.

“I just have some documents I need you to sign,” EunHyuk said quietly , clearly seeing the stress etched into his boss’ face. Perhaps now was not the time to tell him that KyuHyun had called for him, worried.

“Bring them.”

“Thank you sir.” the ending statement before EunHyuk left for the documents reminded him of speaking to his boss, the fear that often filled him. His boss, who controlled him like a puppet on strings. EunHyuk returned a few minutes later, folder in hand and rested it on the desk.

“I’ll give them back when I’m leaving,” SiWon told him, and he nodded, getting the idea that he was dismissed. SiWon flicked through the pages, the words blurring as his thoughts travelled elsewhere. He had to get that land, at any cost. Even if it meant using people. Well, a certain someone.

Kim KiBum. The original plan of making KiBum fall in love with him would have to be the first one executed. If it failed, he would just have another. As he scribbled his name in the allotted space, he wondered whether or not one week would be enough.

“No point wasting time now then,” he muttered as he closed the folder. He grabbed his jacket from the back of the chair and headed out, dropping the folder on EunHyuk’s desk as he left. As he pulled out of the parking lot, he dialled the number KiBum had given him.

“Hello?” KiBum answered.

“Are you busy?” he asked, speeding up as he saw the location.

“No…” KiBum said.

“Good. Grab your jacket. I’m coming in two,” SiWon said, closing his phone. It had been delivered yesterday, since he had broken his other.  He would take better care of this one, not that it mattered much.

As he drove up to the main construction site, he saw that they had already reached quite far in production. The land had already been filled as to minimize the possible occurrence of flooding, and several scaffoldings lay around the steel structure. There were many people scurrying around the location.

SiWon felt the imaginary noose around his neck tighten. He had to get the land before they could complete the building, unless this was also part of his boss’ plan.

“Hey, you’re gonna open the door or not?” a voice asked. He looked around, over to the passenger side and clicked the locks open so KiBum could sit.

“What do you want?” KiBum asked, as he made himself comfortable.

SiWon struggled to imitate the anxious expression EunHyuk had every time he spoke to SiWon and turned hesitatingly toward KiBum. The younger looked expectant, and he dropped his gaze to his hands as he spoke.

“I was wondering if you… if you…” SiWon made himself pause, increasing the tension he could feel radiating off KiBum.

“If I?” KiBum prompted, heart fluttering.

“If you could… if we could have breakfast together sometime?” SiWon asked, barely daring to glance up.

“Really?” KiBum asked in a hushed whisper.

“Yes…”

“Then yes. I would like that.” SiWon looked up to see a brightly smiling KiBum, and felt affected by the happiness KiBum was radiating. It was infectious. He tried to shake the happiness spreading through him as well.

“Tomorrow. In the morning,” SiWon said.

“I’m free,” KiBum agreed happily, nodding.

“Okay. See you then,” SiWon said.

“See you,” KiBum said, getting out of the car. He watched as SiWon sped off, feeling the elation spread through him. maybe good things really did come to those who waited.

“What was that?” DongHae asked, wiping his hands on the ends of his jersey.

“He… asked me out. Well, not really, but he asked to see me again. that’s a date right?” KiBum asked, turning to meet DongHae’s eyes.

“Yes!” DongHae squealed, hugging KiBum.

The two friends walked back to the main construction site as midday faded into evening.

 

As SiWon pressed harder on the gas pedal, he smirked. That KiBum was so easily moved. It would be child’s play getting him to fall in love with SiWon. It was obvious to anyone that he already really liked SiWon.

“Don’t’ screw this up Choi,” he muttered to himself as he sped back to his apartment. he needed to rehearse for tomorrow. He would take no chances, and there would be no flaws in his acting.

“It’s just for the land,” he comforted himself. The momentary contentment he had felt when KiBum had smiled at him was now gone, dead. He had to get this deal, else he would be out of a job. He was 99% sure the land wasn’t that important to KiBum. He would find out tomorrow anyway.

“First step, complete.”

 

COMMENT. SUBSCRIBE. UPVOTE.