Bumbling Boulders

The Red String of Fate

Warning: Abrupt change in POVs because I am really lazy to make two different versions of the conversation. Also, lots of dialogues, mianhe!

 

PRESENT

“How’s the renovation of the store coming along?” Sehun asked in between mouthfuls of savory beef hofan noodles. They ended up in a small, inexpensive Chinese restaurant in Itaewon. He ordered lots of dim sum and plates and plates of greasy Chinese food.

“How did you know about it anyway?” She pursed her lips. It wasn’t a top secret project but they would prefer an element of surprise—at least until the marketing department thought of gimmicks for their grand opening.

“I work for the building administrator, don’t I?” Sehun snorted. It was the same smirk that haunted Lu Han for days on end. She tried hard to assess the boy in front of her—she knew he’s no more than a boy—taking a good look for the first time since she met him. He was very handsome in an arresting kind of way despite the lousy way he dressed. He’s very tall and carried himself with arrogance she didn’t know where he got.

“Do you still go to school?” She asked instead. It’s a pity if he’ll remain a messenger. No offense to messengers, it was a noble job but she felt Sehun should be out conquering the world.  He looked taken aback for a second, chopsticks suspended in the air but answered nonetheless.

***

“School isn’t really my thing.” The nonchalant reply was really true. Everyone thought he was a protégé, finishing school ahead of everyone else but he was just thinking of getting out of school as fast as he can. It just so happened that his mental abilities were also a bit different from his contemporaries.  

“But you’re so young! How old are you anyway? Eighteen? Nineteen?” Her doe eyes were round and almost sparkling. And the way her fist pounded the table to get her point across was really adorable in Sehun’s opinion.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” He chuckled. “But I’m twenty-five.”

***

“No way.” She suddenly turned silent, more appalled than ever. She thought of her own boss. Yixing just recently turned twenty-seven but has achieved what a lot of people her age can only dream of. She herself had been working her off since she was sixteen and she never stopped since then. She almost died in Italy for dreaming for a better future for her family. Family problems forced her to drop out of college and work fulltime instead. She taught herself basic English in between breaks and when she wasn’t too tired to fall asleep on foot. When opportunity presented itself, she took the first flight out to Italy. She was lucky Yixing required her to finish her studies before she was given a managing position—in University of Bologna no less. But she’d been reciprocating her kindness with long hours of work and tons of diligence.

To meet someone without a care in the world didn’t really please Lu Han. She didn’t hate Sehun—it was too strong a word. But she knew he’s bad news. For her, there was no excuse not to work hard. “Hey, are you okay?” She looked up and realized she’d been spacing out.

“Yeah, I am. Sorry.” They finished their food in silence and after fighting on who should pay the bill (Sehun won and Lu Han grudgingly kept her bills), they were out and about. After thinking on how to say what she was about to say without offending Sehun too much, she cleared and she immediately got his full attention. “You should stop calling me and popping out everywhere like this. We barely know each other. ”

“Why, some power CEO like you can’t be seen with some lowly commoner?” He spat.

“I didn’t say that and I am not a CEO.” She frowned. His hardened expression puzzled her. What was it that he’s so mad about? “I am a very busy person and to be going out like this is already a luxury I can’t afford.” You’re a distraction I can’t afford. She wanted to add but chose not to. She wasn’t dumb. Why else would a guy spare a girl his time and effort? But thinking about all of her responsibilities at home, she concluded it would be best to avoid Sehun altogether. She was glad they’ll be going back to Milan as soon as the store opens and she can forget about this person who always ruffled her feathers. But ‘til then, she would have to make an effort to not get too close to him.

***

She waved an empty cab and got in without sparing Sehun another glance.

Sehun was too stunned to react. He didn’t even attempt to go after her. It was so frustrating because man, was the woman too hard to read! He purposely brought her to a dingy restaurant even if a single card in his wallet can pay for the whole restaurant block. She didn’t seem to mind that they were eating with college students and drunken ahjussis. He was amused to see her eat with gusto. Who knew Lu Han could eat so well despite her slender frame? She was just talking passionately about school then the next thing he knew, she was putting her guard back and they were back to square one. It was really baffling to say the least.

Maybe he was doing it all wrong. He decided to change the approach and this time, he’ll make sure Lu Han will be his.  

A/N: I do apologize for my nonsense rant last time. Please forgive me for not updating this story for a long time. This chapter is dedicated to authors who updated their stories diligently even after the EXO backlash. Thank you for reading and let me know what you think about this chapter.