Siete

The Red String of Fate

“Thank you all for coming tonight. I appreciate it more than you think I do. I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks to the people who all made LAY possible. Lu Han, my guardian angel, my staff who put up with my quirks and mood swings, my partners, and. . . .” She swept her gaze over the spot where she knew they’ll be sitting. She didn’t know if she’ll be relieved that she saw neither Sehun nor Yifan anywhere. “And my family who waited patiently for my return.”

“Honestly, I’ve been quite comfortable living in Milan and speaking the language like any other local.” She paused, eyes almost glassy.  “But the moment I stepped into Korean soil, I’m reminded of the things I’ve been missing all along . . .the smell of kimchi, the Han Gang, the busy Myeong-dong, noisy noraebangs, small things that I didn’t appreciate before because I got almost everything in a snap of my finger. When I left everything behind, I had to rebuild dreams, find myself and rely on memories to keep going. Though it was anything but a smooth ride, I don’t regret anything except that my parents aren’t here to welcome me on my homecoming. Mama, Ba Ba, wherever you guys are, this is for you.” Her body bent into a 90-degree bow as the crowd erupted in loud cheers and applause. Moments later, she was flocked by people who wanted to personally meet her or just to congratulate her.

 

***

Korea being one of the safest places in the world even at night was the only reason Lu Han let Yixing out of her sight. When the last of the guests left the after-party, Yixing asked if she can take a moment by herself and she didn’t have the heart to say no. Afterall, Yixing knew the place by heart and seeing old friends visibly took a toll on the poor girl.

 

She was busy barking orders to the remaining staff when she felt eyes burning holes on her back. She let out an inaudible gasp when she realized those eyes belonged to the same man who kept her awake these past few days—because he kept sending her text messages even in the wee hours of the morning—leaning lazily against one of the ballroom’s Corinthian columns. “You--!” She seethed. “What are you doing here?!”  

 

“Wow. Nice to see you, too.” He said dryly. She finally noticed that he was not wearing his old tattered jeans but a simple black dinner jacket over a plain white shirt and generic slacks. At least he had the decency to dress up before gate crashing the event. He must have noticed that she was giving him a once over and again, it was the same disarming smirk she hated the most. “And before you throw a fit, I didn’t crash the party.” He held his arms up in surrender when she looked like she wanted to inflict him some bodily harm. She didn’t look like she believed him but he wasn’t there to convince her. “I’m sure your staff got this. Let’s grab something to eat.”

 

“And why did you think I’ll want to eat with someone like you?” She scoffed.

 

Someone like you. Maybe it will be a lot better if she did inflict him bodily harm. He forced his tongue behind his teeth before he can say something that he will definitely regret later.

 

“Maybe because someone like me will know a very good place to eat stinky tofu and baozi?” He forced a smile.

 

She told herself the only reason why she found herself agreeing reluctantly was because she missed Chinese street food a lot. There weren’t many of them in Italy. But a nagging, annoying little voice in her head kept telling her otherwise.

 

***

 

Yixing stopped dead in her tracks. A few feet away from her were the boy—no, the man she wished to forget for the last five years. The man who broke her heart into million irreparable pieces. For the longest time, she worried herself on how her reaction would be upon seeing him again. She came up with different scenarios but she never thought she’d be tongue-tied. The only consolation was, he seemed to have the same reception.

 

You’re way past your swooning stage, Zhang Yixing! She scolded herself silently.  “I just came to get these.” She raised the medium-sized metal box. After the party, she asked Lu Han to have a moment to alone and she found herself walking aimlessly around the familiar streets of Seoul until she unconsciously ended up in front of their old house. It felt weird to have been asked to show identification so she can enter her own property but she was glad the guard didn’t make a big fuss out of it.

 

“Oh. H-Hi!” Well done, Yi Fan. Well done. He face-palmed himself mentally for being an idiot in front of Yixing. He needed an hour, too, just to calm down after seeing her in the fashion show.

 

She saw him walking over to her like a dream and her heart stopped for a second. It was ridiculous how he had the same effect to her after all these years. “Welcome back.” His smile was awkward to say the least.

 

“Thanks.” She gave him a tight-lipped smile.

 

“Congratulations on your Korean debut. It was a great show. Very intricate pieces.” He offered. And it was true. LAY’s Korea’s most anticipated fashion line of the year. Not that Yixing didn’t deserve any of it. He knew she worked so hard for it.

 

“Wait, were you there?” Only now that she registered his well-pressed tux sans the suffocating bow. She didn’t see him at all during the show and to be honest, she didn’t expect him to show up even if she did send him an invite. He didn’t come up to her even when her old friends flocked around her after the show.

 

Yifan nodded and smiled sheepishly. “You sent me an invite, didn’t you? I won’t miss it for the world.”

 

“Thank you.” She replied shortly, ignoring the effects of said smile. “I better get going before Lu Han sends a search party for me.” She walked over to the nearby shack and returned the shovel. It felt like it was just yesterday that she’d last been there. Even the garden tools were in the exact same place she remembered them to. She let her eyes roam around the dark garden some more, purposely avoiding Wu Yifan’s burning stare. Next time, when it was not as painful, she wanted to see the house, too. But she was afraid that it will only make her miss her parents more. She heaved a deep sigh and willed the tears to go away. “Well, it was nice seeing you again, Yifan.” She lied. It was a struggle, really. And Lu Han always told her to not let herself suffer in any way. At least not if she can help it.

 

“Did you drive yourself?” He didn’t notice any car in the driveway. And he’s sure he didn’t want to let go of Yixing just yet. She just shook her head. She didn’t have to tell him she didn’t even have a car to begin with. She thought it was impractical to get one since they’ll only be here for a few weeks. “Let me take you home then.”

 

“No need. I can just call a cab.” The close confinement of the car and Wu Yifan would be a dangerous combination.

 

“I won’t allow you to take a cab.” He said easily, almost challenging her to contradict him.

 

Which she did. “Don’t you think you have no right to be telling me these things?” She narrowed her eyes at him.

 

“What right don’t I have? I can’t just let my fiancée take a cab at this hour, can I?” He already anticipated her defiance and the look in her eyes told him she wanted to hit him. But along with fury, he saw pain. Raw pain. Before a cold mask took its place as she laughed out loud in the middle of the garden, disturbing the nocturnal beings around them.

 

A/N: Long time no post? Sorry guys! Work, SS5 and One Great Step Manila happened. Who watched? Spazz with me! J