Tres

The Red String of Fate

A/N: I know I said KangTeuk’s son will be Junyoung but EXO chibi fascinates me so I made it to Kyungsoo instead. Sorry! I’ll go back to the previous chapter and change it.

 

Present

Leeteuk made a warning knock on the opened door of the closet. She approached Kangin and fixed his bow tie. He noticed the faraway look on her husband’s face through their reflection on the life-size mirror.  “Is something wrong?”

 

“Huh? Uh, no. I was just worried about Yifan.” This was partly true. They’re getting ready for Yixing’s fashion show and memories of a night some five years ago kept swirling in his head.

 

“We’ll all be there so don’t worry.” Leeteuk playfully tapped his cheek and gave him a dimpled smile that he loved so much. “If you ask me, I’m more worried about Sehunnie. He didn’t take it lightly when Xing left.” Sehun followed Yixing like a puppy when they were kids. And when they grew up, he appointed himself as her protector.

 

Kangin smirked. “I wonder if he’ll really show up. You know Heechul’s threats don’t faze the brat anymore.”

 

“Umma?” A boy in his raccoon pajamas walked up to them and lifted his arms in front of Leeteuk. His eyes were misty.

 

“Hi, honey. Why are you still awake?” She tucked him to bed before she got ready.

 

“And why are you crying?” Kangin lifted their son instead. “Did you have a bad dream?” Leeteuk smiled seeing how her rather brusque husband coos at Kyungsoo.

 

“Um. There were giant chickens and they attacked me and—“ He sobbed. Kyungsoo was allergic to poultry. When they were in Disneyland, he was accidentally given chicken instead of fish fingers. They spent overnight in a county hospital. “Can you not go to that party?”

 

“Sorry, honey. We can’t miss this party. Our friend’s back in town after a long time and we have to see her.”

 

“Friend?” Sniff.

 

“Yup. Like you and Jongin.” Leeteuk pinched his nose playfully. “Speaking of Jongin, why don’t we call Aunt Heechul and tell her you want to sleepover?” Kyungsoo’s eyes lit up and he squirmed from Kangin’s arms.

 

“I’ll go get my pwuashie!” He was out the room before his parents could react.

 

“Who’s the disciplinarian in this family again?” Leeteuk wanted to erase Kangin’s smug grin.

 

***

 

The theme was Classical Movies. Guests of the black-tie event walked the red carpet to get to the fashion show venue. It was a clear display of wealth, power and swank. The women took the time to showcase their designer dresses and precious blings while men made sure to polish their shoes and their wheels. 

 

Yixing was a huge bundle of nerves which, for Luhan, was totally ridiculous since the attention the last two nights gathered were ultimately positive. "Oh my god, I'm doomed. I can't remember any of the things I have to say." Luhan’s eyes rolled heavenward. As if the other didn't forget half of the things she had to do or to bring. Though she'd managed to somehow counter her boss' forgetfulness, it's still hilarious sometimes. 

 

There was one time she forgot Luhan had sent her to a meeting because she was too lazy to drive. Instead of calling Luhan or any of the company drivers after the meeting to pick her up, she went looking for her car that's supposed to be sitting in the driveway at home. When she can't find it anywhere in the hectare-wide parking lot, she alerted the police. Yixing paid a huge fine for false reporting. 

 

“Just tell them what you feel and you’ll be fine. They came here to see your creations and not listen to your rambling anyway.”

 

“Why, thank you very much, Ms. Lu.” They shared a cackle before they parted ways. Luhan joined the awaiting crowd while Yixing went backstage to personally check each ensemble before the models walk the runway.

 

***

 

The show was divided in four phases: Casablanca, The Godfather, Life is Beautiful and Breakfast at Tiffany’s. 

 

Breakfast at Tiffany’s was the last of the collections to be shown. It wasn’t just a new take to Holly Golightly’s iconic little black dress and pearl choker but the love she lost and found.  It was a fusion of the epochal 60s and the present’s straight-to-the-point patterns. Each of the collection earned standing ovation.

 

Yifan must admit Yixing had come a long way. He thought using movies to embody a dress was too cheesy and overused but she proved everyone wrong. It was like watching the movie or reading it as a text. It invoked the same emotion from the inspiration movie but it was a whole new experience on its own. If that even made sense.

 

Breakfast at Tiffany’s was Yixing’s favorite movie of all time. She’d seen it over a million times. She always said she could somehow relate to the character.  He used to then. He always said that she was more of a 2E than a Holly. And that if he was Paul, he’ll never fall for Holly. And it will ensue a whole night of discussion on why she was fit to be the lead character and why he should change his preference in movies which he hadn’t won—not even once.

 

Though his friends told him they all had to be present at Yixing’s fashion show, he knew his friends never expected for him to show up at all. The fact that neither Heechul nor Leeteuk had tried to at least ask him where he was was a dead giveaway. If he’ll be kind to himself, he won’t be there either but he somehow developed Masochistic Personality Disorder when it came to Yixing. Seeing her again can be compared to a horrible accident in the freeway—you know you didn’t have to look but you did anyway.

 

When the lights faded in and the models strut down the bright runway for the last time, he held his breath. He knew she won’t see him in this crowd, with him standing all the way to the back, partly hidden by the central control booth but he can’t help but be curious about her reaction. Would she get surprised? Nah, she sent him an invite, didn’t she? Would she be indifferent?  

 

[Flashback]

2008

He just came from another bout of discussion with his father. He’d been in transition for about a year now and the nearer he came to his confirmation as the new CEO, the more tedious it had become. He can perpetually feel his lower back aching because of stress. At 22, many shareholders were thinking he’s not at all ready to takeover a mega company but his father won’t take any of it. As the incumbent President, CEO and Chairman of the Board, his father still had the controlling stocks and the last say in everything, including appointing his son as his successor.

 

Though it was a lost case before it even started, he still didn’t want to give his detractors another reason to oppose his appointment. He can’t do anything about his age but he hoped they won’t find fault in his way of doing business.

 

A year ago, straight from Wharton, he walked up to his father and asked him to retire. To say that his father was totally weirded out by the request was putting it lightly. He’d explain later that he wanted his father to retire so he can spend more time with his mother. For almost 30 years, Wu Jianhao worked like a dog so he can breakaway from his father’s shadow and be a respected businessman in his own right—in a different country no less. Though he’s a living testament to how much his father loved his mother, he felt bad that they can only spend little time together until work gets in the way again.

 

When she learned about it, Min Sunye, his mother, went ballistic. “No, Wu Yifan! You’ll enjoy your youth as much as you can, marry Yixing, have kids after which you can reconsider taking over the company by then. Your father and I are happy the way we are. Our love is greater than all thes—“

 

“But, Umma, I want to do this.” He took both of her hands and held her gaze. “For you, for Ba ba. Please let me, uhm?” He knew that if his mother can take away all his responsibilities, she would, but like what he told his father, “The company is mine. It is my birthright therefore my responsibility.”

 

And now, after a year of intensive training, he didn’t even feel like he’s half-ready to takeover the company. He was all sorts of scared to fail and flush everything his father worked hard for down the toilet. He spent all his waking hours studying, reviewing employee profiles, analyzing sales data, and attending meetings and events with his father so he can get acquainted with other key people in their circle.

 

His parents won’t admit it but he knew they were both looking forward to the day his father retires and were secretly making plans as to how they’re going to spend it. They asked him more than a few times if he really wanted to do it and he knew he only had to say it and his father won’t step down for at least another three years but he didn’t want to disappoint them.

 

“Mr. Wu, Ms. Zhang’s been waiting for you.” Key informed him the moment he stepped into his office. Now, that was news. He sighed heavily. Truth be told, he’s not ready for any sort of confrontation right now. But it was the only time Yixing came to see him after a fight. He knew what she said about ending the relationship wasn’t real. It happened too many times before for him to even believe it. He was curious though about what she wanted to say.

 

She sat ramrod straight on one of the visitor’s chair in front of his massive desk. As per usual, she was simply stunning and his poor heart can’t help but beat faster than usual. When the door clicked close, she jumped a little but gave him a small smile that somehow didn’t reach her eyes. Did she miss me too? It had been 10 days since they last saw each other. “Your assistant let me in. I hope you don’t mind.” He wanted to say she’d barged in unannounced many times before but held himself. He’d miss her terribly and he thought he’d like to end their misery and make it up with her. But before he can say anything, “I’m leaving for Japan today.”

 

All his hopes of Yixing finally growing up and taking responsibility of her actions came crashing down. “With Jessica?” He gritted his teeth. Jessica’s Yixing’s official shopping buddy and Japan’s her favorite shopping destination. It angered him that while her absence for the last 10 days had taken its toll on him, she was out planning shopping trips. Was she even the least bit bothered that they still have an impasse they have yet to fix?

 

“Y-Yeah.” She nodded hesitantly.

 

“Okay. Let’s have dinner when you get back?” He kept his face straight. He’d talk to her once and for all and lay all his cards on the table. If they’re not going to make it out of this together then so be it. He’s getting tired of this.

 

“Yeah. . .” He didn’t know if he was just imagining it or her voice was really close to cracking. “I’m. . .I’ll go ahead.” He had a feeling it wasn’t what she wanted to say but he didn’t care. He was pissed and that was all he can think of at the moment. She hugged him, it felt different. She kissed him goodbye, it was so fleeting but it felt foreign to him, too. What he was not told about was that it would be the last time he’ll talk to her like this. He thought about what clue he missed a thousand times over but questions were left unanswered.

 

[Flashback ends]

 

Loud applause from the people around him brought him back to the present. He can’t believe he spaced out in the middle of the crowd. But whatever limbo he was in before, it felt like he was brought to life again the moment he saw her face. Time stopped and nothing else mattered anymore. You lost, Wu Yifan, he thought bitterly.

 

A/N: Vanness Wu and Wonder Girls’ Sunye’s cameo as Yifan’s parents. You’ll read about this again in one of the future chapters but in Yixing’s point of view. With that, I think I have to warn everyone that there will be a lot of flashbacks in this story to bridge the gap between the five years they’re not together. Thank you again for reading! Please leave comments because it inspires me to write the next chapter. Kamsahamnida!