Heartbeats

Voice of the Heart [AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest Entry]
Please log in to read the full chapter

He woke up even before the alarm went off and readily prepared for school. The memory of last Saturday was too sweet, that even the rumbling of the dark skies outside could not dampen his mood. Youngmin eyed him suspiciously during breakfast, as he smiled foolishly at his plate. He was too distracted by his dongsaeng that he lost his appetite. Youngmin knew that he was looking at his love struck twin.

"I'm going," Kwangmin tried hard not to give away the excitement in his voice but Youngmin was not to be fooled.

"Kwangmin and Hye Rin kissing on a tr-"

Kwangmin covered his loud mouth, glaring at him. Youngmin put his hands up in surrender and laughed hilariously the moment his twin released him. Kwangmin was blushing profusely with just a simple tease.

"We didn't... kiss," Kwangmin said between gritted teeth, almost whispering the last word.

"But you wanted to," Youngmin laughed mockingly making the redness in his twin's face spread to his ears.

"Aish, I'm leaving," Kwangmin grabbed his bag and walked briskly towards the door to escape his hyung.

But Youngmin s an arm around his shoulder, "Okay, I'll stop. Maybe you should introduce me to Rin's friends." He grinned liking his idea, but Kwangmin was awfully quiet. "Hey, I sai-" Youngmin immediately pulled his arm off Kwangmin's shoulder, aware of the change in his brother's mood.

 

 

Hye Rin arrived in school, with her shoes completely wet. Walking towards her locker, she felt all eyes of the students on her. She bowed her head politely and checked her uniform several times. Am I that soaked?

She was beginning to feel conscious with the stares the students were giving her when a voice saved her from the awkward situation.

"Noona! Noona!"

Or rather bring her into a more complicated position. No Minwoo, her neighbor and the aegyo prince of the school, was running towards her, ignoring his fangirls.

"Don't run!" She called back. "I won't go anywhere!"

Hye Rin smiled awkwardly at the other students. She had never gotten used to the attention that comes from being Minwoo's closest friend.

"Noona!" He cried, his lips turning into a frown as he showed her their school paper. To avoid getting shot with glares from his jealous fangirls, Hye Rin dragged her friend inside a classroom.

"What happened?"

"This!"

Minwoo flipped the newspaper to the last page and pointed at an article.

"Voice of the Heart," she read the title. "What's wrong with it?" Her forehead creased in confusion.

"Read the whole article. And you'll know," Minwoo handed her the paper and sat in one of the chairs, folding his arms in annoyance.

She knew better to just do as she was told by this demanding prince.

 

The words we want to say the most are the words that remain unspoken. Silenced by fear, we keep them deep within our hearts. But the heart has a voice of its own, unhindered and strong, stubbornly shouting the words wanting to be heard. It is only when words meet heartbeats, can one fully know how to say the words to make others understand.

I am Word and I met my heartbeat.

 

"Oh, it's about the mystery writer."

"Just read."

She nodded and turned her attention back to the article.

 

It has always been right in front of me, but it took me this long to finally admit it. I met my heartbeat ten years ago at the playground.

While the other kids played tag, I just sat alone in the swing, watching her. She was so clumsy that I could not understand how she trips and falls on her knees every time she runs. And unlike the other girls, she wo

Please log in to read the full chapter