The Reason

Voice of the Heart [AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest Entry]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Don’t smile or even wave your hand. Don’t say unnecessary things!”

The hoarse voice of an agitated Kwangmin disrupted the peace and quiet of that early Friday morning. He has been nagging his brother for what it seems to be an eternity for him. Fortunately, they were the only ones left inside the house or he’ll never hear the end from his mom. A week has passed since their parents left for a conference in Daegu.  

“For someone who is down with a fever, he sure has lots of energy,” Youngmin mumbled in front of the mirror, the endless loud rushing of the water drowning the sound of his voice. Water dripped down his black hair, sliding through the contours of his handsome face. His right hand wiped the water that splashed in the mirror and a playful smirk formed in his lips as he stared at his reflection.

 

“No, it would be best if you don’t open your mouth. You heard me?” Kwangmin continued, heedless of the throbbing pain in his head. Kwangmin stayed up late for the last week typing in his computer despite having a cold. Now, he is experiencing a high fever and a splitting headache.

 “Umm,” he hummed, nodding as if his brother could see him.

 “Youngmin?” Kwangmin impatiently asked, not hearing a reply but only the sound of water splashing.

“Young…” He was about to push himself out of bed when the door to the bathroom swung open. His jaw literally dropped at the sight of his brother grinning back at him.

“What?” Youngmin chuckled at the stunned look on his brother’s face. “We’re twins. Why else would I look like you?” he ran a hand on his newly-dyed hair.

Kwangmin snapped out of his daze; it has been a long time since he last saw his twin look exactly like him.

“With my new look, no one will find out,” Youngmin flipped his hair, before going back to his room to put on his brother’s school uniform.

The younger twin slid under his sheets, furiously messing his hair. Aish! Why did I even ask him for a favour? Of all the times to get sick, it had to be that day. He couldn’t even begin to imagine what would happen to him once he goes back to class. Even though they are twins, they were exact opposites of each other in many ways.

A few minutes later, he heard the door open and he saw his own self winking at him which made him cringe. Kwangmin can’t wink.

 “I’m going now,” Youngmin informed his brother and before Kwangmin could say anything else, he said, “Trust me in this one and rest.”

Kwangmin buried his face under his pillow and groaned. “Please, don’t mess up. Please, don’t let him mess up!”

 

 

Youngmin happily skipped towards his twin’s bicycle and took one last look at Kwangmin’s room window. It was just another school day but it was different for him since he would be going to his brother’s school. The day also marked the first time his brother asked him for help. Aside from that, he also wanted to know what it is like to be his twin. Youngmin has always been curious about his brother because even though they are twins, Kwangmin tend to keep things to himself. And going to separate schools to prevent other people from comparing them, the twins were not as close as when they were little.

With his school located at the other end of town, Youngmin had always taken the bus. It was refreshing for him to ride a bicycle that morning, with the morning breeze lightly blowing his hair and skin and the sun’s rays bathing him in its warmth. A bright smile swept across his delicate features but the image of his twin popped inside his head.

He

Please log in to read the full chapter