His Heart

Voice of the Heart [AFF Summer Fic Writing Contest Entry]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

He stared long and hard at the ceiling, desperately trying to erase the image of Hye Rin smiling at Youngmin. It irked him knowing that it should have been him in his brother's place. Tossing and turning in his bed, Kwangmin fought the growing jealousy that was consuming his troubled heart and taking control of his sanity, or whatever was left of it. For how long had he built that formidable fortress around his heart, only for it to be shaken once again with the meeting of his twin and Hye Rin. As much as he hated to admit it, any girl would fall head over heels for his older twin who has a bright personality and more outgoing compared to him.

"AHHHH!" he screamed in exasperation, oblivious of his scheming twin sniggering by his bedroom door.

A devious smile crossed Youngmin's angelic face as he heard a loud thud coming from inside the room. He had successfully pulled the right string to mess up his calm and calculated brother. "Good night, my dear twin. You'll need it," he said slyly, walking back to his own room. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Not feeling any ounce of sleep because of the inner battle between his heart and mind, Kwangmin sat up and leaned on the wall, wallowing in defeat. His left hand reached for the top drawer and pulled out a photograph. It was a bit faded but still in good condition, and he held it with so much care. It was a picture of a little girl and a little boy. Her head was slightly turned to the side, smiling at a boy, whose eyes were fixed on their held hands. 

"I was so worried about you doing the shopping alone that I never thought I would be able to ask him to take my place," he finally heard his voice after calming down while his fingers gently traced her face. "And this is what I get in return?" he asked with a mix of frustration and sadness.

"Aish, I'm losing it," he chuckled, messing his hair even more. "Look what you have done. I'm talking to this photo... Our photo." He willed his self to stare longer until Youngmin popped inside his head. The inner turmoil that subsided was awakened once again.

"I don't care if everyone gets it wrong every time, but not you. You are not allowed to make that mistake," he narrowed his eyes on the image of the little girl, a deep hurt reflected in them. "Are you blind? How could you not know?! Do you really not even think of me?" Words spilled continuously and he doesn't care anymore if his twin hears him.

"Are you that stupid?! I hate you, I hate you!" he raised his voice, piercing her image with a fiery glare while his heart tightened at every word.

His eyes suddenly mellowed as he stared longingly at her image, "I don't hate you. I could never hate you. I am the one who is stupid. And I hate myself for that." His voice grew faint towards the end. The medicine was slowly taking effect, and he was slowly slipping out of consciousness. "I'm stupid... Not you..." He continued to mumble out a few words before finally passing out, his last words being the most important of all.

"I love you." 

 

The loud rushing of water from the bathroom woke him up. His brother who almost never wakes up during Saturday mornings was already taking a shower. Kwangmin pushed himself up from bed, feeling a lot better than yesterday. His fever completely gone, he walked to his closet. You want to meet her that bad? Let’s see about that.

“I’m going!” Youngmin announced enthusiastically, waving a hand at him through the opened door.

“Umm,” he groaned under the sheets.

“Get well soon!” Youngmin chirped before happily skipping down the staircase.

As soon as the front door closed, Kwangmin jumped from bed, fully clothed in casual attire. He had washed himself in their parent's bathroom without his twin noticing it. He literally flew down the stairs and the moment he stepped outside, he put on his cap and zipped his jacket.

Fortunately for him, Youngmin left his bicycle giving him plenty of time to catch up. He pedalled at a slower pace, keeping a safe distance between him and his brother. Nearing the school gate, Kwangmin parked the bicycle at a corner and hid himself behind a post. He closely watched his brother, who coolly leaned against the metal gate, his hands tucked inside his jean pockets. Aish! You are doing a lousy job copying me.

Kwangmin was busy pointing out the major differences between them when a sweet voice cut his train of thoughts.

“I’m sorry. Did you wait that long?” She bowed several

Please log in to read the full chapter