chapter 8

clueDO

Baekhyun found both Luhan and Sehun waiting together in The Hall for their interviews. They didn’t spot Baekhyun right away, which gave him a moment to observe them. Sehun had his hand on Luhan’s waist, and was leaning in, whispering something in the other man’s ear. Luhan was nodding, lips pressed tightly together.

“Miss Luhan?”

Luhan jumped, eyes widening on Baekhyun. Sehun glanced over his shoulder, as expressionless as ever.

Baekhyun stepped back, waving towards the door, “If you would please?”

“Is it ok if Sehunnie- if Sehun comes in with me?”

Like it’s ok.

“I’m afraid that can’t happen.” Baekhyun said, offering a fake apologetic smile. “Don’t worry, this shouldn’t take too long, and I promise I’ll go easy on you.”

Haha. Right.

Luhan seemed to relax at hearing this, then gently pried Sehun’s fingers from his waist. The green-haired man didn’t seem to want to let him go.

“Don’t worry.” Baekhyun said to Sehun, as Luhan stepped into The Study, “You’re next.”

Even after he closed the door, Baekhyun could feel Sehun’s glare.

Luhan sat down and folded his hands nervously in his lap. “I still can’t believe this is happening. That someone was killed...”

“I’m used to it by now.” Baekhyun took his seat, “So, Miss Luhan, how long have you and Mr. Oh Sehun known each other?”

Luhan paled, “W-what do you mean? I thought you were going to ask me about the murder?”

That’s exactly what I’m doing.

“I just need to make sure I have all the facts.”

“Sehun and I, we just met this weekend. Like everyone else.”

“Really? Because the colonel told me you two have known each other for quite some time.”

“Kris... he actually told you that?”

Baekhyun nodded.

“How could he...” Luhan seemed to be speaking half to himself now, “How did he find out...?”

“Some things are just hard to hide.” Like killing a person. “Like relationships. Romantic relationships.”

Luhan stared at Baekhyun in shock.

“I’m sure you two tried very hard to hide it.” Baekhyun went on, “And I’m sure you were doing a very good job, but everyone slips up at some point.”

Luhan was quiet a moment longer, staring at his hands, “I... I don’t understand. Even if there is something between me and Sehun, what does that have to do with Kai’s murder?”

“Come now, Miss Luhan, you really don’t think I’ve figured it out?”

Again, Luhan blanched.

“It’s better if you admit it now, before it’s made public.” Before it’s made public that you killed Kai out of jealousy. Luhan, in The Ballroom, with the Unicorn. Done and done.

“Alright!” Luhan wailed, “Alright, I admit it!”

Good. That was easier than expect-

“Kai and I were having an affair!”

Baekhyun gawked at him.

“Uh, no. No you weren’t.”

Luhan, despite looking miserable, managed to also look confused, “Yes we were.”

No, because that would ruin everything and I finally solved this and now I get to leave the country so no you were not having an affair you .

“When did the affair start?”

“A couple of days ago.” Luhan said quietly, “I arrived early, before Sehunnie. Kai was also early. We hit it off right away and one thing led to another and... and we didn’t stop. Even when Sehunnie got here. You’ve got to believe me, I couldn’t help it! We just got along so well, and he was gorgeous! Did you see his body?!”

Yes, and I wish it was mine.

“Yes, and it had sustained multiple injuries. And was also dead.”

Luhan bit his lip. “Right. I keep forgetting... He was just so alive.

Yeah, and now he’s really, really dead.

“Did Mr. Oh Sehun know about the affair.”

Slowly, Luhan nodded. “He forgave me. Not right away, and not completely, but we’re getting there. Please don’t think he had anything to do with the murder. He was mad when he found out, but he wouldn’t do anything to Kai.”

Except him. Happily.

“Let’s move on.” Baekhyun said, and Luhan seemed to relax. “What did you do after the dinner last night?”

“I guess there’s no point in hiding it now. Sehunnie and I were in The Lounge all evening, together...”



“Waah~ Sehunnie, look at how pretty it is!” Luhan waved his arms at The Lounge, which was decorated with candles for their date. “Thank you so much, Xiumin!”

The groundskeeper, who had set up the candles, tipped his hat to Luhan, “Enjoy.”

Luhan nodded eagerly, giving Xiumin’s arm a thankful squeeze before he left. Sehun didn’t say anything.

“Why didn’t you thank him?” Luhan demanded when they were alone.

Sehun shrugged.

“Aw, come on, Sehunnie. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

Luhan walked over to Sehun and put a hand on his shoulder. The younger man moved away from his touch. Luhan pouted. “What was that for?”

“You’re just always so... touchy. Like just then, with the groundskeeper. Was it really necessary to touch his arm?”

“I think so.”

“I don’t.” Sehun snapped, “And at dinner too, with... with Kai. You know how much I hate it, but you’re always touching other guys when I’m around.”

“That’s because I like your jealous face Sehunnie~”

“Really?” Sehun sounded snide, “Is that all?”

Luhan reached for him again, “Sehunnie-”

“Don’t.” Sehun ran a hand through his hair, “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.”

“Don’t you want to try and fix things?!”

Sehun looked away, “I don’t know anymore.”

“Please,” Luhan begged, “Let’s just enjoy tonight together.” he offered a sad smile, “If we both survive it, we’ll try again.”

For a long moment, Sehun didn’t say anything. When he did speak, his voice was very quiet. 

“Alright.”




“Is that it?” Baekhyun asked.

“No, but you probably don’t want me to go into detail about the rest.”

Point taken.

“Looking back on it now, I feel horrible about saying that. ‘If we both survive’. If I’d known this was going to happen, I wouldn’t have don... I wouldn’t have said that.”

“No one could have known.” Except the murderer. “Thank you for your time, Miss Luhan.”

Luhan nodded and got to his feet, rubbing at his eyes.

“Do you need a tissue?” Even though Tao took my tissue box.

Luhan shook his head. “No, I’m not crying. I’m sad, but I can’t let myself cry. Men don’t cry.”

Men don’t wear tight red dresses or allow themselves to be referred to as ‘miss’ either.

Sehun was still waiting out in The Hall. His head snapped up at the sound of the door opening. He and Luhan exchanged a look, but whatever expression Luhan wore only seemed to confuse the man in green.

“Mr. Oh Sehun,” Baekhyun said, “It’s your turn.”