Why so serious?

Nothing more to it

 

He swore never to fall in love with someone in the same industry - again.


It was the PD’s fault really. The female PD of You Belong Here was not shy about being a fan of SHINee. There was nothing wrong with that, of course - his dongsaengs were well-known noona-killers and obviously had not lost their touch with their latest album.


Before the editing process could start, the director wanted to re-film some scenes. During one of the breaks, Donghae idly roamed around where the cast and crew were chilling out. The movie was set in a village and he enjoyed his time outside Seoul, in the country. Who would have thought that he would be picked for a lead role in a movie?


It was funny, the Super Junior member never thought he would have been singled out as an actor. From the start, it was clear that Siwon was being groomed for television and the movies. Yet since Skip Beat! his acting career has gone into overdrive and suddenly Lee Donghae was credible as an actor.


It had been a mistake to look over the PD’s shoulder to see what she had been doing. She had been unusually quiet and Donghae, just like a regular busybody, went to peek at what she was so immersed with.


He wasn’t surprised to see SHINee on the tablet’s screen. Except the music show was Show Champion - the same show that his ex-girlfriend was the MC of.


As much as his mind wanted to his body turn away and abort his intention to scare the PD, his legs stayed stuck to the ground and his eyes drawn towards the tablet in her hands.


The boys, minus the injured Jonghyun, were standing next to Amber, working their all-white outfits. Just before the week’s winner was announced, Minho reached over, cupping a hand to Amber’s ear and whispered something. Even though this scene wasn’t happening in real life before him, Donghae’s eyes narrowed in annoyance.


SHINee won with “Why So Serious”. But there was no way he was going to send his congratulations to Minho now.



As the f(x) rapper was speaking to the maknae - Taemin was growing up fast - Mr Flaming Charisma was busy poking Amber’s cap.


His hands naturally clenched into tight fists - he wanted to poke Minho’s eyes out.


Then, he had to remind himself that him and Amber were over.


This had been the root of the problem. Everyone wanted a piece of her - from his own members, to the SHINee boys and now the EXO kids too.


And Lee Donghae wasn’t willing to share.


Who could blame them? Amber just emitted some kind of pheromone that drew people of both es towards her. Since the beginning, even before anything romantic between them blossomed, everyone knew that Amber and him had a special friendship. But it got harder and harder to catch Amber’s attention when the whole world was gathered on one stage. Add the 12 new kids to the circus and it was virtually impossible to even stand next to the f(x) member.


This issue followed the then-couple backstage. He found himself fighting his friends and her friends for her time. Donghae tried to be understanding. However, Amber’s cluelessness bugged him. One thing led to another and everything compounded to blow up in his face in the end.


But the break up was probably for the best.


“Oh my! Donghae, were you standing there all along?” The PD finally sensed a presence behind her and turned around.


Blanking out, he mumbled, “I got to get back on set”, before drifting away.


Wait a minute Lee Donghae, his inner voice reasoned, you have broken up with Amber so it’s none of your business if another guy touches her head or even hugs her.


Yes it was not his place to care, although Donghae sighed deeply, wondering why the hell was it so hard to erase that cheeky smile from his mind. They were friends before so why can’t they be friends after? That would make things easier than the current situation where they ignored each other.


Even if he tried his best to pretend Amber was invisible whenever she was in the vicinity, Donghae couldn’t possibly avert his eyes everything the short-haired girl appeared on a TV screen or magazine spread or when one of his idiotic friends mentioned her.


Yes, his next girlfriend definitely couldn’t be remotely famous.