Chapter 5: After Effects

Miracle

This is not the repeat of the last chapter, just continue reading till the read.Please and thank YOU!

Ara woke up from her alarm clock and stretched, yawning. She looked out the window for a brief moment to see the sunny weather then headed to the washroom to get ready. She wasn’t fully awake yet but she was going to be by the time she left her house. Her mind kept going back to her thought she had at the night of Danbi’s wedding. She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath, and tried to forget about it when she exhaled, but she couldn’t. She would always have that question come up in her mind, whether it was in the morning, at work or at night: Should she confess to Ji Yong?

     She shook her head, hoping that it could get out of her mind. She got dressed and headed to her car. She kept thinking about that question even while she was driving. She immediately stepped on the brakes at a red light. She shook her head, closing her eyes for a moment.

     I’m on the road right now. I can’t be thinking about something else at the same time. I’m going to end up in an accident.

     The lights turned green and Ara focused on the road and her driving. She turned into the parking lot and headed to her usual parking spot, which was always empty for her. She parked the car and turned the engine off. The low rumbling faded away, leaving only the silence of the inside of the vehicle. Ara took her keys out of the ignition and leaned her head back on the headrest. She let out a sigh and got out of her car slowly. She turned her head and her eyes widened. She immediately went back into her car quickly. Her heart was beating fast. She saw Ji Yong heading towards the company’s entrance and then she closed her eyes, resting her head on the stirring wheel.

     He was going to be in the company. She wasn’t going to be able to stop thinking about it. She took a deep, calming breath. Okay, she said. You’ve had this on your mind for a whole year. You’ve handled it well without bursting it out loud yet.

     She bit her lip. That was true but she did act a bit weird around him now. She couldn’t look him in the eye and her heart skipped a beat every time he came into her office. Well, she did that all the time before but she wouldn’t talk to him as much as she did before.

     She took a deep breath and got out of the car. She closed the door, locking her doors, and headed to the entrance.

     “Hey,” Ji Yong said behind her.

     Ara’s eyes widened and her heart skipped a beat. Ji Yong went in front of her and he was smiling. He looked so cute.

     “H-Hey,” she said, smiling back at him. She didn’t keep eye contact with him though; she was looking at the ground.

     “How are you?” he asked.

     He was so nice. Ara stifled a sigh. One of those sighs that you couldn’t help but wish he was your boyfriend type thing.

     “I’m good,” she said. “How about you?”

     “I’m pretty good,” he said.

     They walked through the entrance and headed towards the elevator. Ara reached her hand out to hit the top floor and her hand brushed against Ji Yong’s. She felt her face burn up and she dropped her hand quickly, looking away from him. He pushed the top floor for her while pushing the button for his floor.

     “Sorry,” Ara mumbled.

     Ji Yong chuckled. “That’s alright,” he said.

     The ride up to his floor was awkward. Ara could hear her heart pounding in her ears and she hoped that Ji Yong couldn’t hear it. She thought it was super loud and closed her eyes, trying to calm it down. It didn’t work.

     The elevator doors opened after what felt like hours.

     “I’ll see you later,” Ji Yong said, smiling at her.

     “See you,” Ara said, smiling back at him.

     When the elevator doors closed, Ara let out a sigh of relief. She was worried that she would blurt out her confession and she was glad that she didn’t. She wasn’t ready for it anyways. She wasn’t ready to hear his reply either.

     The doors opened and Ara walked to her desk. She heard the clicking of her heels on the floor. She was pretty sure that she would get annoyed by them by the end of the day. She saw that Young Min was already at his desk. He looked up from organizing the papers on his desk and smiled.

     “Good morning,” he said.

     Ara smiled back. “Good morning,” she said.

     Young Min got up and placed the papers on Ara’s desk. “These are some documents that you need to check,” he said.

     She nodded her head and went straight to work. Well…almost straight to work. She looked out the window for a long time, not really seeing what was there.

     “Um,” Young Min’s voice pierced through her mind. “Is something on your mind?”

     Ara blinked and looked at him. She shook her head. “Just didn’t have a lot of sleep,” she said, half truthfully. She didn’t feel comfortable telling him what she was thinking about anyways.

     She went to work after that, flipping through papers and having a pen in her hand to make corrections.

~~~

     It was the end of the day. As she had thought, she got annoyed by the clicking of her heels. She walked to her car.

     “Hey Ara!”

     She turned around and saw that it was Ji Yong. Her heart started beating faster and she looked at him.

     “Hey Ji Yong,” she said. Her heart was racing even more when she said his name.

     “I was wondering if you wanted to go to the park tomorrow after work,” he said.

     Ara blinked. She didn’t know how to respond to this. Okay, well she did but she couldn’t speak. Ji Yong looked at her and tilted his head in a cute way.

     “Are you busy tomorrow?” he asked.

     She mentally shook her head. “I’m not,” she replied.

     “Did you want to go?”

     “Sure,” she replied with a smile.

     He smiled back at her. He waved and headed to his car. Ara got into her car and smiled, holding onto the stirring wheel.

~~~

     The whole day went by pretty slow. She had to do her normal work: looking through papers, going to the recording studio (which she didn’t mind. She got to listen to music, which was always relaxing), meeting bands or singers, talking with them about their albums and what not, and more papers.

     It was finally the end of the day. Ara was waiting for this the whole day. She headed for the elevator and went downstairs. She saw Ji Yong at the bottom floor and smiled at him. Her heart started beating faster like usual. He smiled back at her.

     The two walked to the nearby park. They walked around the park, taking pictures on the benches, by the lake and by the beach nearby.

     Maybe I should confess to him, she thought. What’s life without some risks, right?

     They walked and found a water fountain in the middle of park. They sat down at the edge of the water fountain. Ara could hear the bird chirping and the water hitting the bottom of the basin. The water splashed onto Ara’s skin. She looked up to the sky and smiled. It was a perfect day to confess to someone you loved. Ara turned around and looked at Ji Yong. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes briefly.

     “Um,” she said.

     Ji Yong looked at her.

     Ara’s heart started beating faster. She was going to confess today. She was going to do it. She wasn’t going to turn back on it.

     “Ji Yong,” she said, looking at the ground and fiddling with her fingers.

     “What is it?” he asked, leaning forward a little.

     She looked into his eyes. “I…” She gulped. “I love you,” she said.

     He was surprised. Ara knew that he would be because it was a confession out of the blue. There was silence for a long time and Ara was starting to get worried. She bit her lip.

     “D-Do you like me too?” she asked, hesitantly.

     He looked at her.

     Oh no, she thought. He was going to turn it down. She looked away from him, holding back the tears.

     “I love you too,” he said.

     Ara snapped her head back around and her eyes were wide. He was smiling at her. Ara smiled back at him and then the tears fell from her cheeks. She was so happy right now that she didn’t want this to end. Ji Yong brushed away her tears with his thumb and leaned forward. Their lips met and they kissed each other.

     He pulled away a little to look into her eyes. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?” he asked.

     Ara gave a half-choked laugh. “Of course,” she replied.

     They kissed again and Ara felt like she was the happiest girl in the world. She felt like she was the luckiest girl in the world too. She didn’t have to experience that heartbreak either.

     The scenery was starting to fade away. Ara tried to stay in it but she woke up in her dark room. She looked around with a frown.

     It was just a dream…

     She looked out the window and fresh, real tears were falling onto her cheeks. She sat up and leaned her back on the wall, pulling her knees up close to her and resting her head on them. Her arms were wrapped around her legs tightly, as if trying to keep herself together. She started crying even more and she was so glad that tomorrow wasn’t a work day for her. She wouldn’t even have a lot of sleep tonight anyways. She wouldn’t be seeing Ji Yong for two days and she was kind of happy for that. She didn’t want to see him yet. She needed some time to herself and sort out her feelings. She couldn’t do that if he was right there with her in the company. Plus, no one there knew that she confessed to him in the first place.