Chapter 3: Just Friends

Miracle

Ara woke up and looked around her house. She looked at her phone and she frowned. Today was the day that she was supposed to hang out with Ji Yong.

     So that was a dream, she sighed.

     She got up and headed to the washroom to get ready. She wore the outfit that was in her dream and sighed again. She should have known that it was a dream because it was way too good to be true.

     Ara headed out the door and locked it behind her. She closed her eyes. Forget about that dream, she thought. It’s not going to happen. She walked over to her car and unlocked her doors. Her body stiffened at the remembrance of the exact place she was kidnapped at in her dream. She waited a few seconds, listening for any footsteps. Nothing happened and she sighed. She shouldn’t be wishing that it would actually happen but she wanted the last part of her dream to be true. She opened the door to her car and backed out of the driveway. She headed to the park that she was supposed to meet with Ji Yong at.

     She parked her car and saw Ji Yong sitting at the bench already. Ara walked over there and smiled at him. He looked so hot! He looked like he was a model or something like that. He looked gorgeous and perfect!

     “Hey,” Ara said, hearing her heart pounding loudly in her ears.

     “Hey,” Ji Yong said, smiling at her.

     Her heart raced faster and she looked away from Ji Yong. The two walked through the path in the park. It seemed like a date to Ara but to Ji Yong it was probably just a hang out.

     They took pictures around the whole park, making funny pictures and normal pictures. It was a lot of fun. They went to the beach and made a sandcastle. They took pictures around it and then destroyed it, laughing and smiling.

     “Want to go to the amusement park?” Ji Yong asked.

     “Yeah,” Ara said happily.

     They took their cars and headed to the amusement park. They went onto a lot of roller coasters and took pictures everywhere. Ara noticed that a lot of the girls were looking at Ji Yong and smiling at him. It kind of got her mad, but she pretended that it didn’t bother her. Ji Yong bought them some cotton candy. Ara took some and ate it and Ji Yong did the same. They walked around the amusement park, going to rides that looked fun or exciting. They went on a lot of rides until they got bored of them.

     Ara looked around and saw that there was a water park next to it.

     “Hey, did you want to go to the water park?” Ara asked, pointing to the water park entrance.

     Ji Yong looked over and smiled. “Let’s go,” he said. “There’s nothing else we can do here anyways.” He shrugged. “We pretty much went on all the rides here.” He laughed.

     Ara joined in. It was true.

     They headed over to the water park. They went one of the rides. It was one where you went in the water and get pushed by the current around the course. Ara and Ji Yong weren’t wearing any swimsuits but that didn’t matter to them. They got in their clothes, getting weird looks from everyone else there. Everyone else in the water park was wearing swimsuits but them. They laughed and started going around the course. Ji Yong splashed Ara.

     “You’re on!” Ara said.

     She started splashing Ji Yong back and he did the same. They did that around the whole course. They were soaking wet by the time the ride ended. They got out of the water and laughed.

     “Did you want some ice cream?” Ji Yong asked.

     “That’d be good,” Ara said.

     They headed to the nearest ice cream stand and bought their ice cream. They sat down and started eating it slowly.

     “Where did you want to go next?” Ara asked.

     Ji Yong looked around the water park. It didn’t even look like it was going to get dark anytime soon. They probably could stay at the water park for another good four hours. Ara looked back on what they already did today and they did pretty much a lot of things. She thought this was better than her dream, almost. She got to have the whole day with Ji Yong at the park, amusement park and the water park. The only thing that would complete this would be if he confessed his love to her.

     “How about we go to that ride?”

     He pointed to a ride with that looked like a roller coaster. Ara saw that throughout the ride there were splashes of water that you had to go through. She smiled.

     “Sounds good,” she said.

     Once they finished their ice cream, they headed to the ride. They got on near the front of the ride and off they went. They went up the first hill through the water and when they went down, it went super fast, splashing water when they reached the bottom of it. Ara was laughing and so was Ji Yong.

~~~

     It was night time and Ji Yong and Ara were both soaking wet still.

     “I’ll see you at work tomorrow,” Ara said.

     “Yeah,” he replied.

     Ji Yong gave her a hug before he left. Ara hugged him back, not wanting this to be over. Sadly, it had to. She let go and waved to him. She could hear her heart racing and pounding. She walked to her car and opened her door. She leaned her head back into the headrest with a smile on her face. She looked at the mirror in the car. She couldn’t believe that she hadn’t freaked out yet. It had been a year already but she would’ve thought that she would have at least screamed or freaked out at least once during that time. She smiled. Well, it was good that she didn’t. It might have freaked him out. She didn’t want to seem like a creep or anything like that.

     She headed home and made dinner. She started boiling the pasta.

     Once she was done, she got a call. She picked it up.

     “Hello?” she said.

     “Hey,” Unhee said.

     “Hey,” Danbi said.

     “Hey guys,” Ara said.

     “Did you and Ji Yong hang out today?” Unhee asked.

     “Yeah,” she replied happily. “We went to the park, amusement park and the water park!”

     “Holy crap! That’s a lot,” they said.

     “Did anything else happen?” Danbi asked suspiciously.

     “Nope,” she said. “But I had a dream last night.”

     Ara told them about the dream.

     “What is up with you and gangs?” Danbi said.

     Unhee laughed. “At least he saved you though! That would awesome if it did happen!”

     “It’s always great to hear the confession of someone you have a crush on,” Danbi said dreamily.

     “You have experience in that,” Ara laughed.

     “How are you and Hobin?” Unhee asked Danbi.

     “We’re still together. We’re going to get married!”

     “Oh my gosh!” Ara and Unhee said together. “When?!”

     “In two weeks,” she said excitedly.

     “Are we invited?!” Unhee asked.

     “Of course!” replied Danbi.

~~~

Two Weeks Later

 

     Ara was at Danbi’s wedding. She saw Danbi and Unhee and walked over there. Danbi was wearing a beautiful wedding dress. Ara and Unhee smiled.

     “You look beautiful, Danie,” Ara said, using Danbi’s high school nickname.

     “I’m so happy for you,” Unhee yelled.

     “Thanks you guys,” Danbi replied.

     Hobin came up and kissed Danbi on the cheek. “You look beautiful,” he said.

~~~

     The ceremony was over and the three girls were talking to each other at a table.

     “Let me see the ring,” Unhee said.

     Danbi showed them the ring. It was a diamond ring and it looked so beautiful. The three girls smiled at each other.

     “Congratulations,” Ara and Unhee said.

     “Thanks,” she said. “Are you going to confess to Ji Yong?” she asked Ara.

     She looked away at the sudden question. Unhee looked at her too.

     “I’m not sure,” she answered.

     “You might get surprised at his answer,” Danbi said. “I was.”

     “He might even like you back,” Unhee said. “And if he doesn’t then he just lost a great girl! He’ll realize it and run back to you.” She winked.

     The three girls laughed.

     “You’ll have to tell him or you’ll regret it,” Danbi said.

     “You need to be ready for his answer too,” Unhee added.

~~~

     Ara looked at the ceiling. She sighed. Maybe she should confess her feelings to Ji Yong. She closed her eyes and exhaled softly. Not now though. She would tell him eventually, when she was ready to hear his answer. She got up and headed to the washroom to get ready for bed.

     She headed back to her bedroom and fell back onto her pillow. She closed her eyes and waited for sleep to overcome her. She had to get up early for the next day and she couldn’t go to bed for what seemed like four hours. She hoped it wasn’t actually that long though, or she was going to be dead tired tomorrow.

~~~

     She yawned at work, covering . Young Min looked at her.

     “Did you not sleep well last night?”

     She looked at him, lifting her head from the paper work. “Yeah,” she said. She smiled at him though. “I’ll be fine once I hear some music,” she said.

     Young Min smiled back at her. “How was the wedding yesterday?”

     “It was great,” she said. “I’m happy for her.”

     The rest of the day was pretty much set on repeat: work on papers, listen to music, lunch, papers, listen to music, then close the company.