surprise.

surprise.
shin sekyung.  
 
who was she? 
 
an actress. cute round face. big brown eyes. perfect body. pouty red lips. straight, long black hair. just about every guy's ideal type.  
 
so why was kibum surprised that kim jonghyun, the most perfect being on the whole planet (in his opinion), was dating her? 
 
kibum should've known. he should've known months ago, when jonghyun had the sparkle in his eyes whenever he talked about her. even before hello baby, in their dorms when jonghyun would insist on watching her dramas.  
 
did he already lose jonghyun to sekyung then? when they were rehearsing for their come back, when jonghyun started spending less and less time with him? 
 
after kibum had known, jonghyun and sekyung seemed like the perfect couple in his eyes. a handsome guy and a pretty girl. almost a bit like romeo and juliet, since jonghyun's contract had forbidden him from dating.  
 
but weren't they like romeo and juliet too? being in the same group and same contract. yet, the romeo in this didn't seem to share the same feelings juliet had for romeo. shakespeare needs to come back and write a new version just for him and jonghyun, kibum thought bitterly. 
 
either way, kibum knew that sekyung had everything he didn't. sekyung was a female, kibum was a male. sekyung was nice and sweet, kibum was mean and naggy. basically everything sekyung had, jonghyun liked. everything kibum had, didn't seem to fit jonghyun. as much as he liked to believe jonghyun meant his 'i'd date you if i were a girl' and 'i love you's were true, but just seeing jonghyun's eyes light up along with his phone whenever the said girl would send him a text was enough.  
 
so it was alright to say that kibum was surprised when jonghyun came home from the dorm in tears, incoherent mutters coming out of his mouth.  
 
kibum was even more surprised when he caught 'break up' in between the mess of words. 
 
jonghyun headed straight to his and taemin's shared bedroom. kibum didn't miss how his shoulders started shaking in sobs. the rest of the members threw each other worried glances. sure, jonghyun cried a lot. but he shouldn't be crying after a visit to sekyung's. when three pairs of eyes landed on kibum, he sighed and stood up from his spot on the couch and headed to where jonghyun was. 
 
"jjong, what's wrong?" kibum walks straight inside the room without permission, because he knows jonghyun doesn't mind. he sits on the bed, right beside where jonghyun lays with his face stuffed into the pillow. the latter gives no sign of response except for more sobs that were muffled.
 
"jonghyun. talk to me, please." still no response. 
 
"kim jonghyun, you–" and jonghyun had sat up so fast to respond he narrowly missed bumping into kibum.
 
"sekyung, all right? sekyung broke up with me."
 
crack.
 
just hearing her name makes kibum's heart break.
 
"kibum, i think i love her. i can't lose her." 
 
craack.
 
there's the word, 'love'. kibum's heart breaks more. 
 
"i don't know what to do without her. kibum, you'll help me right?"
 
craaack.
 
help. how can he help jonghyun if his own heart's breaking?
 
"i'm sure it'll be okay soon, jjong. it'll work out in the end." kibum gives jonghyun a forced smile and pulls him into a hug. he whispers 'it'll be alright', 'don't worry's into jonghyun's ear as jonghyun continues to cry in his arms. 
 
it breaks kibum's heart that he can't have jonghyun, that he can't be the one jonghyun would love, that jonghyun's hurting, that jonghyun's hurting because of her. if this was a drama, kibum thinks, it would be the perfect moment for the best friend to comfort the other from a heartbreak. but it wasn't a drama, it was reality. reality where surprises come from all directions and heartbreak is most likely the only thing that comes out from liking (or loving) someone. 
 
the doorbell rings through the dorm. jonghyun immediately pulls himself away from kibum's hug, rushing to open the door. kibum's surprised, since when did jonghyun leave him like he was nothing in a flash? since when did kibum step down from the "first priority" in jonghyun's heart?
 
oh yeah, since he started dating her.
 
kibum gets off the bed and walks to the doorway, seeing pale, thin arms wrapped around jonghyun's neck at the dorm's entrance. kibum recgonizes the person jonghyun's hugging as sekyung. he notices the other members huddled at the very side of the couch, trying (with the video game paused, talking in hush voices to each other) to ignore jonghyun and sekyung at their door. 
 
"i love you." kibum hears jonghyun whisper, almost inaudible, but kibum hears it.
 
whoops. kibum's heart just broke in two. kibum's heart broke because he knows he'll never hear those words sincerely from jonghyun, he'll never be the one to make jonghyun as  happy as this, because he knows all he'll ever be is a best friend. 
 
so kibum doesn't know why he's surprised (even in the least bit) when jonghyun leaves the dorm with sekyung, probably staying at her place doing who-knows-what. 
 
kibum isn't surprised that his heart would be broken in two, though. because he knows that in reality, love always ends like this.
 
 

 

bleh. so yeah! that's my oneshot. um i hope my writing is improved and good now? otl ;; i think it seems really rushed, and i apologize for that because really, it's just a random idea that popped into my head and i had to write. i hope you guys enjoooooooyed it. sorry that it's short too otl i typed this all up in a rush and posted it in a rush too so it's fugly and there's probably typos bc i'm too much in a hurry to spellcheck or re-read it um. anyways yeah bye o/