However Many First Dates

Kindergarten

The second date was on a movie theater. We watched Iron Man 3 together and in the process found another common point of interest—superhero movies.

“That was so cool!” I smiled contentedly as we walked out of the theater.

“I know!” Despite his general maturity, he let out his inner nerd-kid when it came to superheroes.

(A/N: Slight spoiler… I don’t think it’s anything major, though.)

“It really answered a question I’ve had from the first Iron Man movie: what is Iron Man without his suit? I mean, he isn’t Superman or Thor with his supernatural powers. He’s just a man with a lot of technological smarts.”

“Yeah! That’s what I thought too! I mean, if I were Iron Man, I’d be pretty insecure without my suit.” Minseok looked like he was actually imagining himself as the suited superhero. I couldn’t help but laugh at his adorable concentration. It was moments like these— on their own not romantic or special—that solidified our growing bond. We shared little interests in this way, learning more about each other, growing accustomed to each other.

The third date was on a soccer field with Jiseok. I learned something new about him that day: he was competitive. Off the field, he was considerate and giving, but the light on his eyes changed when he had the soccer ball under his feet. He didn’t like losing. I didn’t either. That was our first argument. Still, I realized I like this part of Minseok as well—it gave him a new dimension, and it was a manlier aspect of him I missed the first time I saw him.

The fourth date was spent babysitting Jiseok. I don’t remember whose idea it was—did I spontaneously go for a visit? Did Minseok invite me over? Regardless, nothing was planned, and it wasn’t supposed to be a date. But it was another thing I realized about Minseok—anytime I spent with him felt like a real date. He just immediately took care of me without needing to be asked.

“Jiseok-ah, why are you so cute?” I patted his head as we played with his Gears! Beginner Set. Suddenly, his uncle appeared next to him.

“But aren’t I cuter?” Minseok blew up his cheeks as far as they went and started giving me the trending ‘Bbuing bbuing’ motions with his hands. For a few seconds, all I could do was gape at him—I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

“A-are you okay?” I finally managed to find my voice. He was immediately blushing, covering his face with his hands.

“Pretend you didn’t see that. Oh gosh what the heck was I thinking?” He shook his head in embarrassment. I wanted to laugh, but held it in check. How many stupid, embarrassing situations have I made? More times than I could count with five pairs of hands. And never did he judge me.

Still, I let a chuckle escape my lips. “I would never. You looked adorable.” He continued covering his face.

“Wanna know a secret?” I leaned closer to him. He took his hands away to look at me. “I think you’re cuter than Jiseok.” I winked at him, meaning it with all my heart.

I lost track of the number of times we went on dates. All I knew was that somewhere along the way, I’ve forgotten how to live without him. He became a constant in my life, the blueberries in my bland vanilla ice cream.

-

“Make sure to eat everything on your lunch pack, okay, kiddo?”

I turned my head and saw a man, presumably a father, with his back turned to me, crouching so he’s eye-level with a cute little kid. I smiled as I watched him ruffle the child’s hair, hugging him one last time before telling him to go inside. I expected the kid to cling to his dad: it’s always hard on the first day of school for these children because they’re being left alone for the first time. I was right—the kid clung onto the man’s neck as if his precious life depended on it.

The man chuckled, the boy’s back comfortingly as he picked the boy up off the floor. He turned to me unexpectedly and smiled. It was still the same chubby cheeks, cat-like eyes, and the button-nose. I smiled back, feeling my heart expand in happiness.

I started to walk in their direction, keeping my eye on him all the while. I tapped the boy on the shoulder. “Hey, buddy.”

He turned to me and immediately outstretched his little arms to me. “Mommy, I don’t wanna go!” I took him into my arms, whispering sweet nothings into his ears.

“It’s going to be like playing with mommy, but you get to meet new friends. Doesn’t that sound fun?” I started tickling him on his neck—his weakness. He started laughing uncontrollably, his tears drying on his cheeks. “Yeah. That sounds fun,” he finally admitted as I stopped.

I set him down and held his hand. “Now go say goodbye to Daddy, okay?” I gave him a little push towards a smiling Minseok.

“Bye, Daddy!” He waved, already much happier than ten minutes ago.

“Bye, buddy. See you after class, okay?” He crouched down to our little boy, winking goodbye.

He straightened so we’re face to face. “And I’ll see you after class, too, Mrs. Kim.”

He gave me a kiss—that kiss that still leaves me blushing—before smiling to leave. I tucked away his smile in my memory before heading to class.

--

It finally ended on six chapters. Bwahahaha yay! I hope you guys didn't feel like the ending was rushed. I tried to make it as smooth as it could be. As a note on the diabetes thread of the story, I'm sorry for using it merely as a plot device. However, it is not a debilitating disease if managed properly. Obviously there are extra costs and extra doctor check-ups for a diabetic patient, but I choose to leave that side story up to your imaginations. As Minkyung said, they're going to have it rough, but they're going to make it. So yes. There you go. Haha I hope you guys enjoyed reading through this fluffy fiction, and make sure to comment! I need to feel the love, guys. T.T 

Last notes before I completely let go of this fic, though: Thank you to all of you guys for subscribing. Those numbers, no matter how big or small, drive me to keep writing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me~ seriously, I never get tired of reading comments. <3 No matter how short the journey was, the fact that I got to share it with you guys was awesome. (What? Do I hear you complaining of my gross cheesiness? So shoot me. :P) Thank you for reading, too, if you're one of the passersby. I still like you. Haha I wish you left a mark on this fiction, but reading's fine too. That's my purpose for writing in the first place. ;) BYE! T.T If you want more mindless fluff, check out my other stories. :)

Till next time, 

nchopsticks ^_^