Minkyung

Kindergarten

I was standing outside my classroom door, waiting for students to come in as another day began. Really, I was waiting for a certain uncle to see his nephew goodbye. So, it came as a surprise and a disappointment when I saw Jiseok's missing uncle. In his place was Minkyung, holding her son's hand with the biggest smile on her face. I immediately felt my disappointment die away.

"Good morning, Jiseok!" I crouched down so I was eye-level with the little boy. He waved to me before kissing and hugging his mom goodbye, heading to his desk. I straightened up and smiled at Jiseok's mom.

"It's nice seeing you today," I said. I meant it—Jiseok glowed with happiness holding his mom's hand.

"Thank you. It's so rare for me to be able to do this for Jiseok," her smile reflected the same happiness that her son's held.

I nodded as I saw her eyes travel to where Jiseok was sitting, smiling as she saw her son interact with his classmates. I greeted other kids as they came in, saying my hellos to other parents.

"Actually, I had another reason for dropping off Jiseok," Minkyung said, looking at me meaningfully. "I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable yesterday."

I laughed. "No, not at all. That's okay."

"Truth is, I invited you over last night because I wanted to confirm something."

"And that is?" I wondered where the conversation was headed.

"See, when Minseok started talking about you, I immediately knew two things: one, he liked you, and two, you must be a really nice girl for him to be even broaching the topic."

I felt myself turn red at the prospect of Minseok liking me. "So what did you want to confirm?"

"I wanted to see if you felt the same way." Minkyung smiled. “And based on the way you were blushing yesterday—and today,” she smirked knowingly, “I have my answer.”

I didn’t say anything, feeling myself turn a few shades darker than a tomato.

“I don’t usually like this matchmaking business. Seriously, people need to find love on their own, not have it shoved up their faces,” she began. “But I felt like it’s necessary this time. My brother is the best guy I know—no bias just because we’re siblings—and I think his own happiness has long been overdue. He’s always thinking about Jiseok, considering me even when he’s tired from his job, and he just forgets about himself.”

I kept silent, waiting for her to continue. “All I’m saying is, you could be the answer. I want Minseok to move on, to be happy building his own family instead of trying to salvage mine. I know we’re not the conventional family, but Jiseok and I, we’re not broken.” She smiled. “You made me realize that yesterday.”

“What?” I wasn’t sure what she was talking about.

“You talked about Jiseok’s understanding,” Minkyung explained. “And I realized you were right. Jiseok and I will be just fine. It’s going to be rough, but we’ll make it.”

I smiled, happy to have helped.

“Now, down to why I wanted to talk to you. Minseok’s too shy to actually ask you out on his own. Believe me, I tried convincing him first. So now I’m leaving it up to you to put on the pants and ask him yourself.” Here she was again, going on like she was just talking about the weather.

I looked at her incredulously. “Um. Are you sure about this?”

“Of course. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.” She looked at me pointedly.

“But—“ the school bell cut me off.

“I’m expecting something to happen soon, mkay?” She winked at me, waved a last goodbye to Jiseok, and turned to leave. I stood there, amazed at both siblings’ ability to somehow leave me speechless.

-

Waiting for parents to pick their children up had never been so nerve-wracking. I smoothed out my skirt again, wondering what this family was doing to me.

Minseok was one of the last to come, slightly panting as he reached the door. “Sorry for coming late. Something came up at work so I had to stay a bit longer,” he explained to both Jiseok and me as he helped the boy put on his backpack.

“It’s okay,” Jiseok said brightly.

I was lost in my thoughts, wondering how the heck I should ask him out. When I got my head out of the clouds, they were already moving towards the door.

“Wait!” Crap. What do I say?

Both heads turned, and I immediately wanted to kick myself in the shin. I had no plan of attack whatsoever.

“Um, Minseok, I actually wanted to ask if you wanted to grab a meal with me sometime.” I didn’t know where I found it in me to spew that out.

He looked just as surprised as I was. Seconds felt like hours as I waited for him to respond.

“Sure,” he finally said, smiling softly.

I walked over to shorten the distance between us. “Can I ask for your phone number?” If I was being bold, might as well go all in. I already called him for Jiseok, but I wanted to ask for his permission anyway.

I knew he was thinking the same thing, but he humored me, extending an open palm. I gave him my phone and waited as he sent himself a text. “Here you go, Juhyun.” He smiled and bowed before they left. Well. That wasn’t as bad as I thought.  Still, it took my madly beating heart quite a bit of time to calm down.

-

I walked into the smell of frying bacon and eggs, a hint of maple syrup adding to the homey atmosphere of the diner. I saw him sitting on one of the stools against the counter, looking around the room as if he just came in. His eyes locked on mine and instantly, a smile lighted up his whole face. I stayed rooted to my spot, his stare holding me in place. He stood up from where he was and started walking towards me.

“Hi.”

“Hi,” I smiled at him nervously, feeling my heart beat erratically.

“I like how you chose this place,” he admired the interior, a replica of American diners in the 70’s.

I laughed, my nerves calming down. “It’s never too late to have breakfast, you know.” I liked the tucked-in diner too—not too formal, but not too basic.

“You’re right. The smell is amazing! It’s really making me hungry.” He rubbed his stomach to emphasize his point.

I laughed again. It’s so easy to laugh with Minseok—there’s no pressure to be anyone else but me.

--

So... I'm obviously not done with the story. And the chapter feels chopped awkwardly. Blame it on Exo's new teaser. (See paragraph below) But seriously, I am 1000% done with myself. I swear I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I gave up trying to tell you guys that the next chapter will be the last chapter, because I'm obviously going to break that promise. hahaha I have a clear ending in mind, I promise, but the getting there is the difficult part.

But you know what's even more difficult? Trying to concentrate after seing the Growl teaser. OMG I'M DYING AND I'M TRYING NOT TO EXPLODE ON YOU GUYS BUT THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH I CAN'T I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL MY FEELS OMG /I'm sorry guys. 

(Forgive the gif explosion. Feel free to skip the next part... IF YOU CAN. I DARE YOU. Lol I don't know what's coming over me.) 

tumblr_mqiwsfv9UC1qzh5sno1_500.gif

Get it, Xiumin! *snaps fingers* (This was the reason Minseok picked Jiseok up late)

tumblr_mqix5bLaWh1qi2aato1_500.gif

tumblr_mqixqztHXv1qcu4o6o2_500.gif

tumblr_mqizr1qGNk1ruvz5wo4_400.gif