House Visit

Kindergarten

“I’ll get him checked up by a doctor. We can leave right away, right?” I saw Minseok’s eyebrows furrow.

“Definitely.” I said with a small smile.

“Thank you,” he smiled back, the smile not reaching his eyes. I’m not quite sure what the ‘Thank You’ was for, but I kept quiet.

He walked over to Jiseok, gently waking him up. “Seok-ah. Uncle’s here.”He sat down on the edge of the bed and shook the boy’s shoulder, smiling to hide his worry.

“삼촌 (Samchon, uncle)!” Jiseok gave him a sleepy smile.

Minseok chucked, ruffling the kid’s hair. “That’s right. You and me need to go somewhere real quick, okay?”

Jiseok nodded, rubbing his eyes.

“You can sleep while we drive there.” Minseok opened his arms, and immediately, the boy wrapped himself around his uncle, burying his little face on the crook of the man’s neck. Minseok stood up, carrying the boy out of the clinic. He gave me a small nod before leaving.

I returned to a class full of questions about little Jiseok.

“What happened, teacher?”

“Jiseok was just a little sick, so he had to go home,” I told the class.

“Was it a cold, teacher?”

I smiled. “No, honey. It’s something else.” After answering a few more questions, we had to move on.

“Okay, now. Give me your best monkey face!” Just like that, and with the kids’ limited attention span, all thoughts about Jiseok were forgotten. The rest of the day went by, my thoughts still on a special little kid. In all my four years teaching kindergarten, I’ve never had a diabetic child. I started looking up information about it, determined that I wouldn’t be caught unprepared next time.

Still, I wanted to see him personally, to make sure he was alright. I had half a mind to visit their house, but tonight’s probably not a good night to barge in. I could only imagine what they’re going through, finding out suddenly that their five-year-old child had diabetes. Except, it’s not ‘they.’ It’s just her—Jiseok’s mom—who would receive the bad news, who would have to carry it alone. My thoughts unconsciously landed on Jiseok’s uncle, how his arms wrapped around the boy so naturally. I smiled at the image. Jiseok needs someone reliable, someone dependable, as he’s growing up, and I’m glad that Minseok is always there to be a fort and a foundation.

My mind started straying, finding their way to him, not as an uncle, but as an individual. Somehow, his face is etched in my memory, painting details in my head the way I didn’t know it could. His smile, his worry, his relief, his affection for Jiseok all showed in his face like an open book. Just like a child. I caught myself smiling. Why was I smiling? I pushed the thought away.

I didn’t see Jiseok in school the next day. Somehow, the quiet little boy has managed to worm his way into my heart in just a day, and I didn’t even realize it. I missed his presence, his quiet little figure in the back of the room. I decided to visit him after school.

I found their home on a little neighborhood near school where roads were small and the houses were tucked in together. Rapping the door three times, I waited outside, examining the exterior. Flower buds were growing on the sides of the porch, pretty lavender salvia, pink peony, and white astilbe melding together into a sort of disorganized beauty. Everything about the home looked somehow unkempt yet put together—like it was given a last attempt to look presentable. The door slightly opened and I saw a little boy peeking out of the door’s tiny slit.

“Hi, Jiseok!” I smiled at him.

“Hello, teacher,” he shyly replied, the door not opening another inch.

“Is it okay if I come in?”

“Nobody’s at home right now, and uncle said I can’t open the door to anyone.” His fingers clutched the door tightly.

I laughed, nodding at him. “Okay. Is it okay if teacher talks to you, though?”

He took his time thinking about it before finally deciding. “That’s okay.”

I nodded again, deciding to take a seat on their front door so we’re eye to eye. “How are you feeling, buddy?”

“I’m okay.” He nodded as if to confirm to himself that the statement is true.

“Why didn’t you come to school today?”

“Mom said it’s better if I stayed at home today.” He scrunched his nose as if he was wondering why that was.

I laughed again. “I see. Where’s everyone?”

“Mom is at work and uncle—oh! Uncle’s here!” he opened the door widely and ran past me, hugging his uncle’s legs.

“Oof. Whoa. Hi, there, buddy!” I stood up and turned around, watching as Minseok patted his nephew’s head. He was wearing a buttoned-down denim shirt and dark-washed jeans, carrying a few bags with him.

“Hello,” I greeted him, unsure of what to do with myself.

“Hi!” he looked up, surprise on his eyes. He shifted so all the bags were on one hand and the other was free to hold Jiseok’s grasp. Realization hit his eyes, and immediately, he motioned me to go in. “I’m sorry you had to sit on the steps. Jiseok listens a bit too well,” he chuckled and squeezed the little boy’s hand.

“No worries,” I laughed. “At least you know he’s safe.”

“I guess. Take a seat. I’ll just set these aside.” He held up the bags. “Jiseok-ah. Go ask teacher if she wants something to drink.”

“Teacher, do you want water or orange juice?” Jiseok came up to me, asking me hesitantly.

“Water is nice,” I smiled at him. The little boy quickly ran towards the cupboard to grab a plastic glass cup before heading to the fridge.

“What brings you here, Ms. Cha?” Minseok came up to me, giving me a polite smile. I had a strong urge to pinch his cheeks.

“I wanted to see how Jiseok’s doing. He didn’t come to school today.”

“Ah. Yeah. His mom insisted that he stay home today, even though the doctor said it was okay to go to school.”

“How’s she taking the news?” I felt my eyebrows crinkling. Jiseok handed me water and I whispered a quick thank you.

“It’s… it can’t be easy for her.” Minseok shrugged his shoulder, worry etched on his face. “We went to the doctor yesterday, and there was so much information to take in. Now nuna’s blaming herself for not having more time for Jiseok, even though it really isn’t her fault.”

“It isn’t,” I repeated, shaking my head.

“It’s going to be a huge adjustment for Jiseok, but we’re already discussing meal plans with his doctor and making sure he stays active. The transitioning will be a bit difficult, but I’m sure after a while, we’ll all get the hang of it. The hardest part is testing his blood glucose.” Minseok paused. “Oh! We have to do that right now. Excuse me.” He stood up, taking a kit from the cupboard.

“Seok-ah. We have to check your blood sugar now.” I wasn’t sure, but I thought I saw an apologetic look on his face.

“Do we really have to?” Jiseok looked like he wanted to run away.

“If it were up to me, I don’t want to either.” Minseok definitely looked sorry. “But the doctor says we have to.”

Jiseok dejectedly came closer, and Minseok motioned him to sit on the sofa next to me. I patted the little boy on the head, hoping I could give him reassurance.

His uncle kneeled down in front of him, taking out the contents of the kit. He took out a pen-like device with his right hand while gently holding Jiseok’s hand with his left. “Which finger do you want?”  I took the opportunity to look at Minseok. He didn’t look pretty at that moment—he looked handsome, fatherly. Manly. I shook my head to erase the thought.

“It hurts anywhere, anyway.” Jiseok squirmed in his seat. Minseok gave him a look. “The fourth finger. We did the pointer yesterday.”

“Okay. This is going to be quick. Then uncle has a present for you.” Minseok gave him a reassuring smile. Putting pressure on Jiseok’s ring finger to lessen the pain, he quickly pressed a button on the lancet, making a small laceration on the boy’s fingertip. Jiseok cried out in pain as a bead of blood surfaced. Minseok quickly took a test strip, scooped up the blood, and slipped it into a reading machine. “We’re done, buddy."

A tear escaped the boy’s eyes. Without thinking twice, I slid over and slipped my arm around him, letting him lean on me. Minseok gave me a grateful smile before standing up. “Now, for uncle’s surprise!” He disappeared behind us for a second, only to reappear with a stuffed animal on his hand. “Ta-da! It’s a wolf!”He made faces with the toy before handing it to the little boy. Jiseok’s laughter echoed through the house, all traces of tears forgotten at the sight of the wolf.

KQ98GH35.jpg

“We can’t go to Alaska to see them right now, but isn’t that close?” Minseok smiled at the little boy. He looked at me and winked, as if he were sharing a joke with me. I had to remind myself to continue breathing.

Jiseok nodded his head enthusiastically, ruffling the wolf’s fur with his tiny hands. We watched Jiseok as he played with 복실이(Fluffy), running around and laughing.

“I know it isn’t for me to say, but thank you for being there for Jiseok,” I suddenly said, looking at him.

“I can’t stand by and do nothing when I know I can help.” He shrugged, as if it wasn’t a big deal. “Besides, who can resist that handsome brat?” Minseok smiled affectionately at his nephew.

For the millionth time that day, I wanted to ogle at him. I resisted the urge and looked at Jiseok instead.

“It’s admirable, what you do for him. Some fathers don’t even do half the things you do.”

He looked uncomfortable with the attention, the compliments. “It’s really nothing.” I smiled, adding humble to the list of reasons why I liked him. Wait. What did I just…

--

Aaaargh. Okay. I know I advertised it as a two-shot... but it seems like it's gonna be three chapters. hahaha I can't help myself! :O I know there isn't anything romantic yet, but that's the beauty of this romance--it's a slow attraction. I hope you enjoy the laid-back pace of this ff. And if all else fails, take the wise words of Mulan's father: 

"My, my, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late! I bet when it blooms, it will be most beautiful of all"

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! Cheers! <3 

Edit: Okay, I know I wrote this fic quite a bit ago, but lol look what I found!!!!! (It coincides with the description OMG)

tumblr_mri85e5iCE1rv8rjpo1_250.gif

If that's not perfection, I don't know what is.