9: Love in the Nick of Time

Winning Bom All Over Again

-----

 

“Bom.” The raspy baritone took Bom by surprise – a pleasant surprise more than anything.

 

“Ji-yong invited you here?” Seung-hyun said, making his ex-wife turn to examine his full features. He had slimmed down terribly from the last time they had met, a good three to four weeks ago. His eyes were blood shot somehow, not from crying, but from over exhaustion. His barely existent beard had grown in a way, making him look gruffy albeit handsome. “I had a feeling he would.”

 

“O-oh, he told me we were just dining alone together.” The girl said unhurriedly, still taking time to study Seung-hyun’s impression. He looked different, as though he has aged a million years since their last encounter. “I wasn’t expecting you.”

 

“Maybe he forgot.” Seung-hyun replied casually, closing his eyes to think for a moment. “But if you two are planning to talk alone, I can always meet him some other time. Send my reg—“

 

“Wait!” Bom cut his sentence off with her right hand in the air.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“If he invited you here, you should stay.” Bom suggested. “At least until Ji-yong comes. He’s only going to be here a few days, he said. He must’ve forgotten to tell me that he invited you as well.”

 

“You don’t mind?” Seung-hyun said genuinely. “I don’t know if we’re exactly friends, still.”

 

Wow, that was a fast change of heart. Bom thought. Wasn’t he all ‘when I said that I love you I meant that I love you forever’ last month?

 

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Bom agreed stoically. “Civil remember?”

 

Seung-hyun shrugged. “You’re right, we’re civil. How about we sit this one out while waiting for Ji-yong? Tell me how you’ve been.”

 

The two decided to sit on opposite sides of the circular wooden table. “Same old, same old. How about you? You look like you’re not well compensated by your company.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You look like you haven’t eaten since we last met.” Bom had to say.

 

“Oh. I just haven’t had the appetite recently.” Seung-hyun admitted bluntly, though more reserved. He observed Bom and commented back. “You look… well, nothing has really changed. Still beautiful.”

 

The nerve of this guy. One minute we’re not sure we’re friends and the next he’s giving me compliments. Is he having mood swings?

 

“You can flatter me all you want but I’ve been a mess ever since I’ve resumed working. Thanks to your company I haven’t had a day off.”

 

“I know, me too.” Seung-hyun grinned softly in agreement.  “But you really don’t look like you’re stressed, though.”

 

Something was wrong. They were conversing but he was too indifferent.

 

“You look tired.” Bom added.

 

“I am tired.” Seung-hyun rested his body on the cushion of his chair.

 

“And bored.”

 

“How can I be bored when I’m with you?” he said, though his eyes could only close as he talked as though they were too heavy to lift. “I may not look like it but I’m happy to see you now.”

 

“Yeah, you really don’t look like it.”

 

“Would you have wanted me to be happy to see you?”

 

“Doesn’t really matter.” Bom retorted somehow furiously. The conversation was going nowhere. They were throwing meaningless one liner answers to each other that they both seemed too mechanical. “Something’s different about you, though. You seem…”

 

“Hmm?” Seung-hyun continued to rest his eyes as he responded.

 

“You seem like a robot.”

 

“Oh really now?” he opened his eyes and leaned closer to the table, grinning foolishly as he did.

 

“Is there something funny?”

 

“No, nothing is.” Seung-hyun said, a big smile plastered on his face. “It’s just that when Ji-yong described the person he was bringing along, I half-wished it was you. But now that you’re here, I don’t know if we should be speaking.”

 

Bom paused, surprised at the rather bold statement from her ex-husband. It somehow made her stomach churn, and her eyes widen. “Why so? Where did the other half go?”

 

“Other half went to my rational brain; realizing that you already have a boyfriend and that I should just be happy for the two of you.” Seung-hyun replied straightforwardly.

 

Right. No one remembered to tell the dense guy that John Park was madly in love with him instead of Bom. Perhaps no was the time to say so.

 

“Seung—“

 

“Listen, Bom. I have to be honest.” He started, staring directly into Bom’s eyes. “When you first came back to Korea… No scratch that, even before you left Korea, I firmly believed that I had the chance of getting you back. But now I realize how selfish I’ve been acting… You’re here to start a new life, and I shouldn’t be here to remind you of the old times. I apologize.”

 

Bom was gob stopped. How was she going to reply to this?

 

“You don’t need to worry, though. I’ve made a new resolve: I’ll stop.” Seung-hyun said as if it were the most common thing to him. “I’m happy you’re back Bom, and I hope you’re here to stay. If you still want to be friends… Well, I’m afraid I can’t be friends with you yet… Perhaps we can be acquaintances… Civil as you say, until I’ve completely sorted out my feelings for you.”

 

His resolve felt like he was dumping Bom, more than anything

 

“Sorry I’m late! Did I miss anything?” Ji-yong called from the threshold of the restaurant.

 

------

Flashback

 

To: Seung-hyun

From: Bommie

Have to cancel our date tonight, I’m doing an all nighter T.T

 

 

Seung-hyun heaved a sigh while looking at his girlfriend’s text message for what seemed like an hour or so. Bom had been busy for a month now, with fashion shows sprouting left and right. She informed him that today would be a free day, though; but apparently not.

 

Nothing he can do about it, though. She was living her dream. Instead of sulking, Seung-hyun forced himself to reply.

 

To: Bommie

From: Seung-hyun

I understand. Take care.

 

He walked out of the company and headed towards his car. The reply came almost instantaneously.

 

To: Seung-hyun

From:Bommie

Wae?! That’s all you’re going to say?

 

Seung-hyun furrowed his brows but found no reason to reply. He trudged nearer to his car until his phone rang with a phone call from Bom.

 

“Mmm?” Seung-hyun answered with his deep voice.

 

“That’s seriously all you’re going to say?”

 

“Yeah. It’s not like we can do anything about it, Bom. Let’s just re-schedule when we can.” Seung-hyun said coolly.

 

“You’re not mad that I ditched you for the nth time?”

 

“No, not really. If it’s for your career I understand what you need to do.”

 

“So if I told you I fell out of love for you, you would just understand?” Bom’s voice raised as she spoke.

 

“Well that’s a different case.” He analyzed the question. “But if you really fell out of love for me, I should let you be happy right?”

 

“WHAT?” Bom shouted. “YOU ARE THE MOST IRRATIONAL GUY IN THE WORLD!”

 

“Isn’t that the most rational choice though?” Seung-hyun responded. “Why are you even asking this? Yah, Park Bom, don’t tell me you’re cheating on me.”

 

“Of course not!” Bom exclaimed. “But what if I told you I did, huh? Would you simply, understand?”

 

“Ani, if that’s the case I would have already understood.” Seung-hyun continued to reply realistically.

 

“Tch. You’re the worst boyfriend ever.”

 

“What?! How did I become the worst boy friend ever?!”

 

“FIGURE IT OUT!” Bom shouted and hung up her phone.

 

-----

The three were grazing through the dinner quietly. Ji-yong would sometimes tell stories of his adventures in America, earning nods and remarks from Bom and Seung-hyun.  Generally, the latter two were just commenting on whatever Ji-yong had to say, barely addressing each other in the process.

 

“Ahh-ahh, I can’t believe the night’s almost over.” Ji-yong did another attempt at starting the conversation. “I have to attend a seminar tomorrow morning… Actually that’s the only reason why I didn’t invite you two to a round of beer.”

 

“Oh, I thought I found it weird.” Bom replied as she sipped her juice. “Being with you means that alcohol is nearby.”

 

“Mmm.” Seung-hyun acknowledged as he browsed through messages in his blackberry. “Sorry, I have to leave now. Work.”

 

“Yah, hyung, how can you say that to an old dongsaeng whom you haven’t seen in a year?” Ji-yong pouted as he ran out of excuses.

 

“I’m really sorry, this can’t be delayed.” Seung-hyun bowed uncharacteristically. “I’ll make it up to you.”

 

“Well at least bring Bom noona home.” Ji-yong proposed. “I have to buy some chocolate for my room mate before I go back to the hotel.  And maybe some booze to sneak in.”

 

“You never change.” Bom commented and looked at Seung-hyun. “But it’s okay, I can just take a cab.”

 

“Noona!” Ji-yong called. “Haven’t you learned the American etiquette when you were there? The gentleman always brings the lady home! Besides, hyung brought a car so he shouldn’t mind.”

 

“But—“

 

“No Bom, it’s fine. I can take you home.” Seung-hyun offered offhandedly.

 

“So it’s settled.” Ji-yong concluded. “It was a pleasure seeing you two again. I hope I don’t have to wait another year just to hang out.”

 

The lanky boy reached out to Bom for a hug, patting Seung-hyun’s back afterwards. “Take care of noona. Drive safely.”

------

 

Bom started to play with the hem of her dress as she waited for Seung-hyun to drive his car to the restaurant’s lobby. The atmosphere had already been weird with Ji-yong, the two of them being alone would definitely be worse.

 

Gradually, Seung-hyun’s car came into view until it was parked right in front of Bom. The girl carefully opened the passenger door and asked “you sure you don’t mind?”

 

Seung-hyun smiled fondly. “Of course I don’t. Hop in.”

 

The fashion designer slipped into the passenger seat and closed the door.

 

 It was eleven in the evening, and the bright lights were the only impression left of Seoul. Bom preferred it that way, so Seung-hyun wouldn’t be aware of how awkward she was with him.

 

“Cozy?”

 

“Just fine.”

 

“Mind pointing me the direction to your apartment again? I’m not sure if I remember correctly.”

 

“Yeah. It’s just a few blocks from this place actually. Just go straight until the first stop light and then turn right from there.”

 

“Alright.” Seung-hyun motioned the car to start running.

 

“Hey Bom.” He added.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“What I said before Ji-yong came made you feel awkward, didn’t it?”

 

“Well, sort of.” Bom replied, her stare focused on the road.

 

“Why?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Why did it make you feel awkward?”

 

“I don’t know…” Bom said. “I guess whatever you say takes a lot of getting used to.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You ask an awful lot of questions.”

 

“Okay then let’s reciprocate. Is there anything you’d like to ask of me?” Seung-hyun asked back, looking at Bom from time to time.

 

“Nothing. What I’d like to know is your diet secret. You don’t need to get thinner, girls like men with muscles you know.” Bom pried. “Is it still because of ajumma?”

 

“Not exactly. I do miss her every day though.”

 

“So what else?”

 

“I don’t think I should reveal my diet secret to just anyone.”

 

“Oh come on, aren’t we friends?”

 

Acquaintances.” Seung-hyun stopped at the red light.

 

Unknowingly, the word stung Bom. “Dating anyone right now?”

 

“If you count work as ‘anyone’ I guess I’m dating everyday.” Said Seung-hyun.  “But real girls I don’t date. I’m too fly for that.”

 

Bom laughed. “Yeah right. I bet you’re just too scared to ask them out.”

 

“Nah, you just raised the bar too high.”

 

“Liar.”

 

Seung-hyun gazed at Bom, who found herself looking at her ex-husband too.

 

“You know I’m not lying.” Seung-hyun said seriously.

 

“Well no worries, you’ve set the bar pretty high yourself.” Bom replied casually. “Hard to find men like you these days.”

 

Seung-hyun blinked twice, though his reply fell short.

 

“Green.” Bom said, pointing to the stop light.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Green light.”

 

----

“We’re here.” Seung-hyun said as he pulled his car over.

 

“Thanks.” Bom replied.

 

“Yeah.” Seung-hyun acknowledged. “Take care.”

 

Bom was sitting still in her seat. A thought formed in her mind.

 

Waiting for the opportunity, she swiftly leaned towards Seung-hyun to place a kiss on his right cheek before hurriedly going out of the car and into the apartment.

 

“What… the heck just happened?” Seung-hyun stared at the apartment door, holding his right cheek where Bom’s lips were placed just a moment ago.

 

Cue in G-dragon’s Who You (from his newest album) 

 

 

------

A/N: Hello! I'm back! Thanks for subscribing and leaving comments! I hope you continue doing so :) 

What do you think of this chapter? 

 

P.S. Sorry for the late update! Life has been hectic, so I tried to make good use of it. Some of the scenes you will read here is actually inspired from real events I've witnessed or experienced HAHAHA! Hope you don't mind!