7: I Love You Forever

Winning Bom All Over Again

-----

Flashback

 

Bom had woken up to the sound of torrential rain. ‘Still raining…’ she thought sullenly. The brown haired girl wasn’t at all enthusiastic with the weather. It left her body freezing cold despite the overwhelming layers of blanket draped all over like a snake’s skin. She shifted her body slowly, bringing in her knees close to her chest in a fetal position, and wrapping the blankets even closer to her if that was possible.

 

After her restless bout with the blanket, Bom reached her slender arms to the opposite side of the bed, anticipating to grasp the big boulder of a human being which was her husband. However her touch disappointed as he wasn’t beside her. This did not alarm Bom. It’s not like Seung-hyun has never woken up earlier than her before.

 

She continued to savor the warm comfort the thick sheets of cloth had provided her. With Seung-hyun away, Bom reached for another pillow and bound it with her arms like a viper. It would have to make do.

 

BUT, it didn’t feel right. The pillow was nowhere near of a substitute to her warm, cuddly, responsive husband. Following the moments of wrestling the sheets, she finally succumbed into the decision of leaving the cozy bedroom in search of Seung-hyun.

 

She casually slipped her feet into the fluffy pink slippers Seung-hyun bought her a few Christmases ago when he started to court her.

 

Bom chuckled at the fond memory of how he used the gift to thank her for ‘walking into his life.’ It was cheesy, perhaps a dozen thousand high school boys have used the same catch phrase to win over girls’ hearts, but it made Bom feel secure because when he said it, Seung-hyun seemed like he meant every word.

 

Lazily, Bom clothed the blanket around her shoulder, as she felt cold with her shorts and tank top. She walked down the wooden stairs into the living room where she found Seung-hyun staring pensively at the raindrops-stained window.

 

Seung-hyun’s hands were dug deep his pocket, his shoulder was hunched. From where Bom was standing, she could sense that he wasn’t his usual self. Bom walked quietly towards him and wrapped her arms gently around him from his back. “Jagi?” she called.

 

“Mm, yeobo. Up so early?” Seung-hyun spoke weakly as he continued to stare at the window, removing his hands from his pockets to entangle his long fingers into Bom’s. His hands were unexpectedly cold. “You should rest a bit more.”

 

“How about you?” Bom buried her head sleepily on Seung-hyun’s back and yawned. “Can’t sleep?”

 

“Mmm.” He answered cryptically, arousing Bom’s suspicion even more. “Go back to sleep, I’ll catch up in a while.” 

 

“Choi Seung-hyun.” Bom pronounced strictly, her grip on his hands tightening. “If you don’t tell me what’s wrong, you’re sleeping outside tonight! Err… Morning!”

 

He softly sniggered. “You really want that for me? It’s raining cats and dogs and all kinds of animals outside.”

 

“I can manage my conscience.” She replied playfully. “But can you manage yours? Knowing that you’re keeping something from your beloved wife.”

 

Seung-hyun removed her locked arms and faced Bom. Now that they were face to face, she could see how his eyes were blood shot and puffy, as though he’d been crying all morning. He cupped her face and slowly leaned towards her. When they were almost a breath away from each other, he said. “I love you.”

 

That was it. Something was DEFINITELY wrong. Bom was always sure that Seung-hyun loved her, but he never just said it casually. There had to be a special occasion; otherwise, Bom would have to torture the words out of Seung-hyun’s mouth.

 

“What’s wrong?” Bom gazed at his eyes. “Tell me.”

 

Seung-hyun closed his eyes, tears trickling down to his cheeks. He rested his chin on Bom’s head. “Appa called this morning… Omma… She passed away.”

 

------

 

“Omo! What was that?!” Dara exclaimed in surprise by Bom’s action. She, Chae-rin (or CL, as they often called her) and Seung-ri had just gotten out of Seung-hyun’s condominium when the ex-wife just slammed the door behind them. “Did I see it clearly? Did Bom close the door? Or did Seung-hyun do it?! Omo! Should we call her?!”

 

“Shush, keep quiet noona.” Seung-ri calmed her down, as giddy as a five year old kid who just got his candy. “Goodness, who would have thought they would progress soon! Oh my, y time already?”

 

“Your erted mind annoys me!” Dara shouted furiously. “CL! Ottoke?!”

 

“Unnie, it was really Bom who closed the door.” Chae-rin said honestly, earning an even greater grin from Seung-ri. He was smiling from ear to ear. “I don’t know, maybe she needed to talk with him.”

 

“Yeah, right! Body language!” Seung-ri continued with his notoriously while pacing around the hall. “Everyone, we need to vacate this hall before they start making stimulating noises that we surely don’t need to hear!”

 

“Take this guy away before I burn him to the ground!” Dara raised her voice.  

 

“Unnie, I don’t want to hold him he’s too erted!” Chae-rin replied, faking a gag to symbolize her disgust. “Maybe we should wait for her at the lobby.”

 

“Aigoo, maybe we should.” Dara scratched her neck, which were filled with red marks that looked like insect bites. “But they better be quick, I’m itching all over! Come on, let’s go.”

 

“You heard her, let’s go freak.” Chae-rin glared at the blissful Seung-ri.

 

“Hyung! JJANG!” Seung-ri exclaimed in a whisper.

 

-----

“Bom, let go.” Seung-hyun uttered once he came into his senses. For a while, his ex-wife, Bom, had  been comforting her after he found out of Hae-Suk ajumma’s passing. Although her consolation was helpful and soothing, he hadn’t forgotten the fact that he should be setting some boundaries with Bom. Further, he wasn’t in the mood for conversations. “I’m sorry, this is not appropriate. I don’t want your boy friend to think wrongly.”

 

Did Bom hear him right? Here he was, mourning the passing of a loved one and he was worried about what her ‘boyfriend’ – who is actually gay, mind you— would think of her?

 

“I’m sorry. Force of past habits.” Bom tried to explain. Now was not the time to tell him she had lied about John Park being her boyfriend—if anything, John would have fallen in love with Seung-hyun.

 

‘Past habit.’ Seung-hyun repeated in his mind hurtfully. The fact that Bom referred to him as past habit was just a cherry on top of a dreadful day.

 

“You’re right, your girlfriend might misinterpret too.” Bom agreed as both of them pulled away from the dramatic embrace. Bom looked at the door, wondering if the rest of her office mates and Seung-ri were still outside; and thinking of what they would say with that sudden act of hers.

 

“My girlfriend?” Seung-hyun smeared the tears away from his face. “Who gossiped about me this time?”

 

“I-I don’t think this is the right time to talk about it, Seung-hyun.”

 

“It is when it’s not true.” Seung-hyun creased his brows, waiting for an explanation. “I don't have a girlfriend.”

 

Well, at least his mind was diverted from thinking of Hae-suk ajumma.

 

“Well, you were all ‘baby’ in the car the other day.” Bom said in embarrassment, her eyes surveying the condominium for something to focus on.

 

Seung-hyun stifled a thoughtless laugh. “Bom, that was Ha-yi. You made me by calling her baby because we saw that poor boy Seung-yoon trying to steal a kiss from her, remember?”

 

At that point, Bom was just mentally slapping herself in humiliation. Her presumptuousness was dangerous. Next time, she’d control herself better!

 

“So you thought I was talking to my girlfriend?” he continued, a small smile forming in his lips. “Bommie, you’re too much.”

 

“Don’t call me Bommie.” Bom looked at him sternly. It was all she could retort him with.

 

“Aigoo, you were always doubtful of me. Have you forgotten?” Seung-hyun darted his stare on Bom’s eyes. His eyes seemed to shift from playful to serious.

 

 “When I said that I love you, I meant that I love you forever.”

 

Bom felt that familiar prickly feeling on her cheeks. She was turning red again, if that was even possible given that she had blood red rashes all over. Her heart beat raced as though it was a Ferrari, and her stomach felt like it was being knotted up by eagle scouts. She was speechless. She didn’t expect this one coming—

 

She didn’t expect to feel excited to hear those words again.

 

For a moment, neither of them broke the awkward silence that engulfed the whole room. Seung-hyun observed Bom, who was as nervous as hell with all the feelings she wasn’t supposed to experience.

 

“You should go to the hospital now and have those checked.” Seung-hyun advised his ex-wife, walking her to the door. Bom could only follow.

 

“Will you be okay?” Bom asked unknowingly as she glanced back at Seung-hyun. As soon as she said it, she realized how worried it must have sounded. That wasn’t a good combo after letting Seung-hyun see her blush like a crazy tomato. “I-I mean the last time you were like this it took a while before you…”

 

“I’ll be fine.” Seung-hyun said briefly, his stare still directed at Bom. “Besides, you really need to go.”

 

“W-waeyo?”

 

“You’re too kind to me. I don’t know how much longer I can control myself before kissing you.” Seung-hyun revealed mischievously. “Passionately.”

 

“Yah TABI you ert!” Bom exclaimed, rushing to the door to leave the condominium.

 

“Ajumma, hear that? She called me Tabi again.” Seung-hyun said once he alone in the quiet condominium. He closed his eyes, mixed emotions filling him to the brim. He placed his hands back to his pockets, depression taking over him once more. “Yesterday she called me yeobo. Wish you were here to hear all about it. You would have been delighted.”

-----

 

Flashback

 

Bom frowned as she sat alone in the café. It was Christmas, a romantic day in Korea where most lovers go out and enjoy the holidays. Well, that technically did not apply to her because she hasn’t had a boyfriend since Hyun Bin; and the guy most closely resembling anything romantic to her was Seung-hyun: her relatively newfound best friend (for three years) who was two hours late because of the unexpected snowstorm that delayed his flight back to Seoul.

 

Tch. Who told you to work on a holiday? She thought as Bom stabbed the chocolate cake brutally. There are 364 other days in a year to acquire whatever land you want to acquire Seung-hyun. Seriously? Christmas?!

 

“Noona! Want hot choco? It’s on the house!” Jong-suk, one of the café’s youngest baristas, called out. He was too chirpy for Bom’s mood. “Beeecause it’s Christmas!”

 

“You better get away from me Jong-suk, Your cheerfulness makes me want to hurt you, with this chair.” Bom pointed out on the wooden chair opposite to hers.

 

“Ah, were you supposed to go out with hyung?” Jong-suk pryed.

 

“You really want to die on Christmas?” Bom raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“I bet he went to work today. Aigoo, that foolish hyung doesn’t know when to stop working.” Jong-suk continued courageously, without fear for his life despite Bom’s threats. “But you know noona, we’re closing early today, I have a date with…”

 

“You see this fork?” Bom cut his sentence. “I can stab you with it, you little rascal.”

 

“Oh, he’s here! Cue the music!” Jong-suk shouted, prompting one of his friends to play a track in the coffe shop’s stereo. Bom recognized the song well, Seung-hyun had been playing it in the car much too frequently the past few days. It was an old song called Keep on Loving You by REO Speedwagon. “Noona,  listen to the lyrics and just say yes, arrasou?!”

 

What the fck was this brat saying? She hated the lyrics to this song that she always stopped listening before the chorus.

 

You should have seen by the look in my eyes, baby. There was something missing….

 

Seung-hyun came into the café, looking dapper with the casual wear that Bom lauded him for. It was just a simple grey hoodie partnered with those dark pants and sneakers. To him, he looked like a typical Korean thief, but Bom seemed to prefer that look on him rather than the suit and tie he always had to wear for work.

 

You should have known by the tone of my voice, maybe. But you didn’t listen.

 

He beamed when he saw Bom, who was seated alone in their favorite spot of the café. Frequent visitors of the café cheered for him. They seemed to have rooted for the two of them to be together all along.

 

“This is embarrassing!” Bom mouthed words she hoped Seung-hyun would understand. Her cheeks were heating up vigorously.

 

“Trust me.” Seung-hyun mouthed back from afar, moving deadly slow towards Bom. He had that smug look on his face, his hands on his back as he was hiding something.

 

You played dead, but you never bled instead, you lay still in the grass all coiled up and hissin.

 

Does he hear this lyrics? What am I? A snake? Bom thought as she deciphered what Jong-suk has hinted for her.

 

And though I know all about those men, still I don’t remember.

 

Seung-hyun was half-way to her now, and Bom was getting impatient. She stood and waved her arms fast in humiliation. Can’t they just stand next to each other and get this thing over with?!

 

“PPALLI!” she mouthed words again, obviously uncomfortable with all eyes on her.

 

But it seemed her friend was there to torment her; Seung-hyun only slowed his pace with a playful smirk etched in his face.

 

‘Cause it was us, baby, way before then and we’re still together.

 

He was in front of her now, and Seung-hyun only leaned closer to Bom’s ear.

 

“Go hyung!!” Jong-suk screamed loyally from behind the counter. Even the café manager was raising his hands in support.  

 

“Listen.” Seung-hyun said, urging Bom to finally hear out the chorus she never bothered to listen to.

 

And I meant every word I said. When I said that I love you, I meant that I love you forever.

 

“Omo, was this always the lyrics?” Bom whispered embarrassingly, cupping with both hands.

 

Seunghyun nodded.

 

Perhaps the reason Seung-hyun always played it in the car was that he was trying to send a message to Bom: a message clearly not received until today.

 

And I’m gonna keep on loving you, ‘cause it’s the only thing I want to do.

 

“I have something for you.” Seung-hyun informed her, bringing out a gift inside a paper bag. “It’s too humiliating so just peek inside and read the card.”

 

“Yah, really? What could be more humiliating than this!” Bom whispered back, pulling out the gift from the paper bag. It was a pair of pink fluffy slippers with a note saying ‘Thank you for walking into my life.’

 

What. The. F. This was the cheesiest gift ever.

 

She saw Seung-hyun cringe. He obviously thought about the gift, but just found it too corny for the public eye. “I told you not to open it here. It’s too embarrassing.”

 

Well anyway, she loved it.

 

“Komawo!” Bom thanked him awkwardly. She wanted to give a hug, or a kiss on the cheek, but everyone else was monitoring their movements as though they were fishes in the aquarium. Instead, Bom patted Seung-hyun’s back.

 

I don’t want to sleep, I just want to keep on loving you.

 

“Seriously, a pat on the back?” Seung-hyun laughed, holding Bom’s hand and tilting his head to face Bom. “This is the part where I ask you to be my girlfriend. You’re supposed to say yes.”

 

“Aren’t you a little arrogant?” Bom teased.

 

“Fine. This is the part where you say you’re going to have to think of it. And then tomorrow, I’ll start courting you like they do in the olden days.” Seung-hyun chuckled. He honestly wanted to take it slow with Bom.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to say you like me, or something?” Bom asked.

 

“I don’t think I like you at all, Bom. Didn’t the song say it for me?”

 

“You don’t like me yet you want to court me? What kind of--” Bom stopped her words, realizing what would come after. His feelings were deeper than just the fondness he felt for her. The song had just professed that he loved her.

 

Seung-hyun smirked. At least she finally understood after the countless times he tried to tell her.

 

“F-fine. I’ll think about it.” Bom answered, flustered at the gesture. “You better be good at courting. Three years of being your friend has made my standards a little higher than before.”

 

-----

 

Bom watched the numbers change as the elevator she rode went down. Her heart was still racing from what Seung-hyun had said to her.

 

Her smile didn’t seem to fade away either; and Seung-hyun’s meticulous friend, Seung-ri was there to broadcast it in the lobby.

 

“Look. At. Her.” Seung-ri shouted, claiming the girls’ attention. “Totally had it served, huh? But you should have taken your time! After all it’s been one year…”

 

“Shut this erted man up!” Dara covered her ears. “Aigoo, Bommie, what were you doing up there, huh? I thought you didn’t want to be alone with him?”

 

Bom walked pass them, hurrying up to the facade. She was in deep thought, her mind was conflicted.

 

Perhaps when the time was right, she would tell Seung-hyun why she asked for the divorce.

 

-------

A/N: I am overwhelmed by the number of subscribers and comments for this story! Please continue to subscribe and comment (especially! since I reply to comments 100% of the time :>) You can also leave me personal messages! :) I do accept plot suggestions. Tell me how else we can interact! 

 

P.S. Will you be excited if I tell you the next chapter will be mostly about Bom? Hehe. One step closer to knowing why she did file for the divorce. 

The storm's finally gone! Hope you Filipinos out there are safe and sound :) 

 

AND! I recently made an 'author' twitter :)). Add me up if you want! :) https://twitter.com/readandwritenow

Cheers!