The Passive Twin

Kyungsoo Syndrome

The Passive Twin

Kyungsoo had many things he cared about. His grades, his job, his relatives, his friends. The most important things he cared about, however, was his older brother D.O. Kyungsoo and D.O. were twins, the latter being the older twin by just a few minutes. The two shared everything together from their worries, their thoughts, their grades, and everything in between.

They were alike in so many ways, and yet so different. While Kyungsoo was passive in everything he did, D.O. exuded confidence. Kyungsoo had chestnut brown hair, while D.O. had shave sides and dyed red hair. The same, yet not the same. Although, he finds himself stuck, when he realizes his brother was potentially hiding something from him. — They never hid anything from each other, but to know that D.O. possibly might be was killing him.

He’s tried asking the other what seems to be the problem, but he just waves him off, telling him not to worry. If anything, that just makes Kyungsoo worry even more. But he trusts his brother and he knows that if something really was bothering him, he’d say something. Right? The thought passes by in his mind, but he knows exactly what he thought. D.O. probably wouldn’t say anything and that’s what kills Kyungsoo inside.

`

Kyungsoo’s currently at the breakfast table, munching on a piece of bacon and some toast, animatedly talking to his mom. He’s laughing at something his mom joked about, when he catches D.O. rushing down the stairs, grabs a piece of toast from the plate. His older brother gives their mom a kiss on the cheek goodbye and rushes out the door. This makes Kyungsoo frown a bit and voices his concerns out to his mother.

"Hey Ma, don’t you think D.O.’s acting a little strange lately?" He asks her, as he finishes the last of his breakfast and moves to place his dish in the sink. He hears a hum from his mother and he sees a shrug of shoulders. “You know how he is, dear. Just wait it out? Maybe he’ll tell you eventually. I wouldn’t worry too much, though. — Now run along, dear, or you’ll be late for school!"

Kyungsoo smiles and nods his head, pecking his mom on the cheek and heads out to school on his bike. He gets to school pretty quickly, still managing to have about twenty minutes until the start, so he decides to head to his locker. He utilizes his combination by memory, unlocking the lock, and opens his locker. It’s neatly organized with his textbooks, notebooks, pencils, magnets and a mirror. D.O. insisted on the mirror, since he never really cared too much about his looks. But because they’re twins, they had to have similar lockers. Plus, it was on discount, a 2-for-1 sale really.

He glances at his mirror for just a second when notices that Jongdae was coming straight towards him. Kim Jongdae — the incredibly, hot hottie in Kyungsoo’s grade and he might harbour a slight crush on the other. Nothing too much really. Then again, who wouldn’t crush on Jongdae? He’s good-looking, cool, funny, and everything else that’s attractive in a person.

So maybe D.O. wasn’t the only one with a secret? Kyungsoo never told a soul about his crush on Jongdae and he was certain that nobody knew of it, either, so he was in the clear. He mustered up all the courage he could and exhaled a deep breath before closing his locker door and turning around to face the incoming student.

"Hey, you’re Kyungsoo, right?" Oh god, can I just his voice?! Kyungsoo blinks a little bit, before he clears his throat and smiles politely at the other, without arising suspicion of his red, flushed cheeks. "… Uhh, yeah. C—can I help you with something?" Goddamnit, he hates that he has to stutter in front of Mr. Gorgeous.

"You’re pretty cute when you stutter, Kyungsoo. — Anyways, I have a favor to request of you. My name is Kim Jongdae and I might potentially fail Physics if I don’t get my grade up. And I really can’t have that… My parents would flip . Everyone knows that you and your brother are pretty smart." Mr. Gorgeous, aka Jongdae, smiles a breathtaking smile at Kyungsoo and it leaves him staring in awe, until he’s reminded of what the other asked of him.

"So a tutor?" He asks after processing what the other wanted. “More or less. So what do you say? Up for it?" Jongdae gives a reassuring smile and it has Kyungsoo weak in the knees, but he nods his head anyways. “But why me? Why not my brother?"

"Like I said, you’re pretty cute." Jongdae stuffs a piece of paper into the shirt pocket of Kyungsoo’s collared button-up and wave’s goodbye. Blinking back the surprise, he pulls the strip of paper out, widening his eyes at the phone number of Kim Jongdae.

`

Later that night, he decides to text Jongdae to figure out the times he should tutor him. He looks over at his brother and sighs in relief when D.O. is too busy reading a One Piece manga and jamming out to music. He quickly types out a message on his phone.

[Sent at 7:43pm]

Hello? Jongdae, this is Kyungsoo.

[Sent at 7:45pm]

Oh, well hello there, cutie. What’s up?

The compliment has Kyungsoo sputtering and blushing, which has D.O. pulling his headphone out, and with a raised eyebrow, asks Kyungsoo what’s wrong. “N—nothing… Just go back to reading your manga…" D.O. doesn’t seem to buy it, but he does it anyways.

[Sent at 7:48pm]

I’m not cute. ; n ; but I was wondering when you’d like me to tutor you? And where?

[Sent at 7:49pm]

Definitely a cutie. But is my house fine? And maybe after school until 6? Is that okay?

[Sent at 7:50pm]

I’m not cute! >.< but sounds good to me. See you then.

[Sent at 7:52pm]

See you then. G’night cutie. Sweet dreams.

Kyungsoo stares at the conversation he just had moments ago with Jongdae and mentally swoons. Kim Jongdae called me cute, Kyungsoo internally squealed, clutching his phone to his chest as he smiled like an idiot. He sighs contently and gets up from his chair and plops down onto his bed.

He buries his face into his pillow and screams quietly, missing the judging look of his brother. He spends the rest of the night in a happy mood, finishing his homework rather quickly. He would be awaiting the next day.

`

"I have to tutor someone afterschool, D.O. hyung, so don’t wait up, okay?" He tells his brother in the morning, so he doesn’t forget. The other carries a look of surprise, but quickly smiles. “Tutoring, huh? Are you sure it’s not a date? — My little baby brother Soo has a date, doesn’t he!"

Kyungsoo swat away the hands of his prying brother and tried to fight the blush from appearing on his soft, smooth cheeks. "—Not a date! I’m really tutoring someone, I swear!" D.O. ruffled the other’s head and chuckled. “Okay, okay, I believe you."

He wasn’t too convinced by his brother, but he decides to ignore it and just get through the rest of his classes as normal as possible. As soon the bell rings, he receives a text from Jongdae telling him to meet up at his locker. 

[Sent at 1:55pm]

Hey, cutie. Meet me by my locker. It’s locker 243. Near the water fountain.

[Sent at 1:57pm]

Okay, see you there. And what did I say about calling me cute, Jongdae?

[Sent at 1:58pm]

Can’t help it, cutie.

The boy with the chestnut, brown hair picks up his messenger bag and slings it over his shoulder. He doesn’t forget to grab his agenda book and heads over to Jongdae’s locker. He’s close to where he’s supposed to meet the other, but suddenly he stops because he hears voices talking a hushed voice. —Not so hushed, considering Kyungsoo can hear them.

"Why can’t we get back together, Jongdae?" A softer, lighter voice asks.

"You know the reason why. You dumped me first. I moved on. Get over it, please." Kyungsoo picks up Jongdae’s voice after that.

"I’m sorry, Jongdae, please! Take me back. I’ll do anything!" The voice pleads again. Kyungsoo doesn’t know what overcame him, but he steps from behind the corner and the two are staring at him. Jongdae has a look of amusement, while the other looks appalled.

"J—jongdae, I have to tutor you now… We’re on a tight schedule and all." Kyungsoo says and smiles politely at both of them. He then proceeds to walk towards the parking lot and right now, he really wants to curl into a ball and hide away forever.

He just totally embarrassed himself in front of Jongdae and he didn’t even mean to. A few seconds pass by, and Kyungsoo doesn’t realize that there’s another pair of feet walking beside him. To his surprise, it’s actually Jongdae who caught up to him.

"I’m sorry you had to see that, cutie. — Some people just don’t take the hint, do they? I don’t even remember why I dated her, actually…" The other says sheepishly, as he rubs the back of his neck.

"No, it’s fine. —" Kyungsoo suddenly stops, as his jaw drops when he sees the car that Jongdae drives. It’s a Mitsubishi eclipse, and it’s one of Kyungsoo’s favorite cars. He might look like the type, but he can appreciate a cool car when he sees one and Jongdae definitely has a nice one.

"I like your car." He blurts out to the other and quickly gets in. Jongdae seems surprised for a moment, as he chuckles while getting inside the driver side. He sticks the key into the ignition and starts to drive. He’s really good at driving while talking to others, so he makes sure to strike up some kind of conversation.

“Thanks. –So Kyungsoo?” He voices, as he keeps his attention on the road. Kyungsoo hums a little to signal that he’s listening. “What kind of music do you like?” He bites his lips in thought, and even playfully taps his chin. He chuckles a little to himself and shrugs his shoulders. “Ballads are nice. But I guess my favorite would be RnB. Supposedly, I get told I have a voice that’s suited for that. I wouldn’t know that. I really hate singing.”

“You should sing for me one day, cutie. I think you’d be amazing at it.” Kyungsoo sputters and shakes his head repeatedly, blushing at the thought. He didn’t really think he had a voice suited for singing, and singing in front of Jongdae, nonetheless. It was just absolutely absurd.

They arrive at Jongdae’s house in a matter of minutes, and as soon as he steps out, Kyungsoo stares completely in awe of the other’s place of living. It was a rather large and nice house. He couldn’t even begin to imagine how spacious it must be on the inside. Jongdae notices the other’s struck with awe and gently tugs on the other to go inside the house.

`

Immediately after they enter the house, Kyungsoo squeaks when he sees a tall somebody pulling Jongdae into a headlock and noogie. The tall somebody simply laughs, and Jongdae seems to be laughing, as well. The tall one stops what he was doing to Jongdae and notices Kyungsoo’s presence. He seems surprised to see the other, but he quickly masks it under a cool smile.

“Who’s your friend, Dae?” The tall figure asks, ruffling Jongdae’s hair up. He gestures with a hand, and Kyungsoo doesn’t miss the bright smile on his face.

“This is Kyungsoo. He’s my tutor for Physics. Kyungsoo —this is Kris. He’s kind of like an adoptive brother, I guess. He’s from China.” Jongdae nudges Kris in the stomach with his elbow, which in turn, holds out a hand.

“Nice to meet’cha, Kyungsoo. If Jongdae gives you any trouble, just come and get me, and I’ll kick his for you, okay?” Kyungsoo laughs at this and nods his head, laughing some more when he sees the flushed face on Jongdae’s. He just shakes his head and tugs on Kyungsoo’s wrist to pull him upstairs to his room.

Jongdae’s room is a lot roomier than Kyungsoo imagined, and it looks pretty simple. There’s a bookshelf, a desk, a lap, a bed, a few posters of models on top of cars. Somehow, he knew that was going to be there. Such a typical teenager male room. Kyungsoo can’t say that about his own room because the only things he has hanging on his walls are pictures of him and his brother, and song lyrics, and inspirational quotes, but really. That’s just it. Other than that, it was pretty normal.

“I didn’t think your room would be like this. It’s nice. I like it.” He walks around the entire room, taking in everything, before he takes a seat in the chair that Jongdae pulls up for him. He replies with a thank you and sits at his desk.

“So should we get started, cutie?” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, but nods his head nonetheless.

Tutoring Jongdae turned out better than Kyungsoo had planned. Apparently, Jongdae wasn’t as stupid as he made himself out to be. He just needed more in-depth explanations and Kyungsoo could give that. He checked over the work for Jongdae, and he only missed a couple questions, but other than that, it was pretty good.

“You’re getting better at this. I’m proud of you. And it’s only been the first day, good job.” Kyungsoo tells him, as he’s putting his folders back into his backpack and zippers it closed.  Jongdae just smiles and nods his head.

“It’s all thanks to you, cutie. Same time tomorrow, then?” Kyungsoo hesitates for a second, nodding his head only comes after he’s thought about what he has to do tomorrow. He feels like he has something, but it probably isn’t important, anyways. If it was, he’d remember it. –Jongdae drops Kyungsoo back at his house, due to him insisting that he didn’t have to do it, but Jongdae continued to offer until Kyungsoo gave in.

`

Tutoring Jongdae for the past weeks had been a breeze, and strange enough, Kyungsoo felt odd that it was ending soon. Jongdae didn’t really need his help anymore, either. In a way, he felt sad because this was his only way of talking to the other, but he felt good that he somehow had gotten closer to the older.

His brother seemed to miss him apparently, and whined to him about wanting to hang out more. Kyungsoo was happy that his brother came up to him first instead of himself doing all the work. So his older brother decided to take him to the mall because he wanted to shop, despite not wanting to buy things.

After the little trip, Kyungsoo already had four bags of clothes, books, and other miscellaneous things. He wasn’t too keen on shopping, but his brother had at least eight bags.

“Did you have fun, Soo? Sorry, I’ve been so distant lately. It’s just you’d hate me for it. For not telling you, I mean.” D.O. smiles sheepishly and ruffles Kyungsoo’s hair. He pouts a little bit, before he pipes up.

“What do you mean, hyung?” D.O. just shakes his head, and holds up his index finger to his lips, saying that he won’t tell him just yet. This makes Kyungsoo sad, but he knows his brother and when he’s ready, he’d tell him. He’s about to offer the other a taste of his frozen yogurt, when he notices his brother staring off into the distance.

“Hyung?” He tries and before Kyungsoo can do anything, a voice calls out to him, which prompts him to turn around to find the source of the voice. In the distance, he sees Jongdae and a few friends walking over to him and his brother. He notices Kris; the tall one, Suho; brown, spiked up hair and a hit with the ladies and apparently males too, and then Minseok; the bulkier one with a nice smile.

“Oh, hi Jongdae. How are you?” Kyungsoo quickly stands up and bows his head. Jongdae’s friends seem to snicker, and Jongdae shushes them up with a glare. He turns back towards Kyungsoo with a friendly smile.

“I’m good, cutie. Umm, fancy meeting you here, though. With your—“Jongdae looks behind Kyungsoo and seems surprised to see the other one. His jaw drops slightly and looks between them both.

“You’re a twin?” Kyungsoo flushes and nods his head. He motions for D.O. to stand up.

“Jongdae, this is my twin brother, D.O. He’s older than me by four minutes and twenty-three seconds. He likes to point out that fact, though…” Kyungsoo laughs bashfully, as D.O. ruffles the top of his head.

“I’m D.O. Kyungsoo’s older brother. How do you two know each other?”

“He was my tutor.” Is Jongdae’s reply, and D.O. doesn’t seem fazed. He nods his head and smiles at the other.

“Well, he is pretty smart, isn’t he…?” Despite Kyungsoo knowing his twin brother and should have some type of twin telepathy, he couldn’t tell what his brother was trying to do this time around and it bothered him.

Kyungsoo looks back and forth between the two and there seems to be some type of tension, at least that’s what he thinks. If he looked at D.O. closely, he wasn’t even staring at Jongdae. When Kyungsoo looked to see who was behind Jongdae, it was just his friends, but he was certain that D.O. didn’t know any of them. But then suddenly Kyungsoo remembers Jongdae saying something earlier.

“Oh yeah, so what’s up, Jongdae?” This breaks the eye contact between the two and Kyungsoo is thankful. Jongdae focuses his attention on the younger twin and flashes a gentle smile.

“There’s going to be a party this Friday. I was wondering if you’d like to come. You can bring your brother, too. How does that sound?” Kyungsoo’s ecstatic to be invited to a party, and by Jongdae himself, nonetheless, but he doesn’t do things without his brother’s consent. Something about the older brother having to protect the younger brother’s innocence. Kyungsoo couldn’t remember, but he turned towards D.O. with a puppy dog look on his face and pushed out his lower lip in a pout.

D.O. rolled his eyes and flicked Kyungsoo’s forehead, a sigh escaping past his lips. He shrugged his shoulders, before nodding his head. Kyungsoo blinked back the surprise, until he started clapping his hands in happiness.

“All right. We’ll be there, Jongdae.” The younger twin flashes him a smile, and Jongdae returns it, also adding that he’ll text Kyungsoo the details later tomorrow. Jongdae and the rest of his friends leave, and Kyungsoo waves goodbye. As soon as they leave, D.O. nudges Kyungsoo in the shoulder rather harshly.

“Do you even have anything to wear tomorrow…? Tch. You need a lot of help, Soo. So let me do that, all right? It’s the least I can do for getting us invited.” Kyungsoo wonders what sparks the sudden urge to help him, but he definitely welcomes it with open arms.

`

Sometimes, Kyungsoo has to wonder why he lets his brother help him dress up. He wasn’t one for flashy things, not at all. His brother decides it’d be appropriate to dye his hair a more orange-brown color. He’s forced to wear a plaid shirt —Oh how he hates plaid. And he’s shoved into a tight pair of black jeans that accentuate more than what he wanted. Kyungsoo whines and pouts, but D.O. just laughs it off because holy hell, he looked smoking.

When Kyungsoo walked downstairs, he expected his mom to be on his side, but it turns out that she liked it all. How dare she, he thought, inwardly crying to himself. D.O. snickered to himself, before poking Kyungsoo in the left cheek. Looking up to his older brother, he gave him a look and a questioning glare.

“Did you check if that guy texted you, yet?” D.O. asks in a bored tone.

“That guy’s name is Jongdae…And umm, let me check.” Kyungsoo sticks his tongue out playfully at the other and slides his phone over so he can use it. He checks his messages and sees the text.

[Sent at 8:23pm]

Hey cutie. So the party’s gonna be held at xxx street. The house with the loud music, obviously.

[Sent at 8:25pm]

Thanks Jongdae. And what did I say about calling me cute? Nvm. We’ll be there soon.

Kyungsoo quickly shows his brother the phone, and D.O. nods his head, grabbing the keys in the process. He gives his mom a quick kiss on the cheek and heads out first. Kyungsoo frowns slightly, and checks himself in the mirror again. Was this really okay for him to dress like? He shakes his worries away and bids his mom goodbye, promising her that they’ll be careful and if anything happens, they’d call her to pick them up.

`

As soon as they arrive, D.O. grabs Kyungsoo by the wrist and smirks.

“Let’s lay down a few rules, Soo. If anybody offers you a drink, you get the away from them. You have the pepper spray I gave you, right? If you do have with someone, please use a . That is sanity enough and I just want you to be careful, all right?” Kyungsoo’s usually wide eyes stared back at D.O. with a blank expression. Neither of them moved, until they both started cracking up in laughter.

“All right, hyung. I promise. You can trust me, seriously.” D.O. just gives him a thumbs up and walks off ahead of him. Kyungsoo shakes his head, laughing all the while and follows him inside.

He’s met with a bunch of different things that he never really cared about. People making out, people drinking and playing beer pong, dancing like there’s no tomorrow. Kyungsoo really thought people had no care in the world, and it felt nice. He was immediately offered a drink, but he declined it almost instantaneously. He continued trekking through the house, and eventually found Jongdae in the kitchen holding a bright red cup and shoving some chips into his mouth.

Kyungsoo quietly made his way over and tapped Jongdae on the shoulder. The other turned around and almost choked at the sight he saw. Thankfully, he didn’t, and he sipped at his drink and poured himself some more, flashing Kyungsoo a sheepish smile.

“Smooth, Mr. Kim, real smooth.” Kyungsoo has his hands locked together and put behind his back. Under Jongdae’s gaze, he feels completely , as if he was an animal in the zoo. He’s thankful that it’s just Jongdae doing that, though, or else he’d be really embarrassed.

“You look —uhhh. You look hot—I mean nice. You look nice.” Jongdae quickly recovers in his words, but the blush is still on his face. He laughs a bit at himself and tugs on Kyungsoo’s wrist to get his attention. He directs with his eyes and tells him to follow him wordlessly.

Jongdae ends up bringing Kyungsoo to an emptier part of the house, the home’s library to be exact. He placed his red cup on the desk, and turned around to face Kyungsoo. The silence was slightly awkward between them, but there wasn’t really much to talk about if it wasn’t physics or Jongdae calling him cute. If anything, he’d rather have him call him cute if it meant this awkward silence would go away.

“I’m sorry.” Is what Jongdae says to break the silence. That wasn’t exactly what he wasn’t expecting, but Kyungsoo will take it. He turns his full attention to Jongdae, after taking a sip from the other’s red cup. —Sadly, it’s alcohol, but Kyungsoo doesn’t make a face of disgust like he usually does, for fear he’d seem like a loser in front of Jongdae.

“I never wanted to invite to this party in the first place.” OhOh. Okay, then. Kyungsoo blinks slowly, and brings his head down to look at his converse sneakers. He taps the heel of it against the floor and looks back up at Jongdae.

“God, cutie, that’s not what I mean. I just—I didn’t plan on inviting you here the other day at the mall. I wanted to ask you out on a date. Somewhere that was just for the two of us. I’m not even big on the whole party scene, either. I’m sorry.” After Jongdae’s words, Kyungsoo widens his eyes to saucer-like proportions and almost forgets to breathe. When he realizes that the other wanted to take him out on a date, he almost squeals out loud. Thankfully, he doesn’t because he’s much too speechless right now and he didn’t want to appear lame in front of the other, either.

“Do you—“Jongdae begins, and Kyungsoo looks his way. It might be the ambiance of the library, or the fact that he already has a crush on the other, but Kyungsoo thinks that Jongdae’s deep, dark brown eyes are really mesmerizing to him.

“Would you like to leave this party? With me, I mean? To a café or something. —we can bring your brother along, if that’ll make you more comfortable…” Kyungsoo contemplates for a moment, before he shakes his head. He grabs Jongdae’s hands and heads straight outside.

“But what about D.O.?” The other asks.

“I’m sure he’s having fun without me to look after. Besides—if you try anything funny, Jongdae, I’ll pepper spray you and knee you in the balls.” Kyungsoo chirps happily, and laughs when he spots the grimace on the other’s face.

“I like you a lot, cutie. Thanks.” Jongdae happily opens the passenger door for Kyungsoo and waits until he’s safely inside to close the door. He walks over to the driver’s side and slips in. He winks at the other and starts to drive off.

Oh my god, I’m going on a date with Kim Jongdae. Kyungsoo gives a self fist pump and the smile on his face is wide and bright. Jongdae looks at him through his peripheral and chuckles silently to himself. Strange, but definitely cute. Definitely my type.


In which, D.O. and Kyungsoo are actually twins. OHOHOHO. Who knew, right?

Well, yeah, I thought the concept would be cool. And...

In my head, I believe Kyungsoo would be with Chen, while D.O. is with Kris. Just a thought. LOL.

CHENSOO ONESHOT. WOOT. Next one will be a Krisoo one, maybe... or was it Laysoo. IDK.

Everyday_Jongdae