Minho's Present

Red Roses

Taemin POV

 

This was it.

After all the buildup, I was finally going to see Minho.

My heart jumped at the thought.

Carrying six red roses, a picnic blanket, and a picnic basket, I dashed down the path to the giant oak tree. As I got closer to it, I saw him. Minho was there, leaning against the tree trunk, six red roses in his hands.

My heart sped up at the sight of him.

“Hyung!” I called, running as fast as I could.

At the sound of my voice, Minho stood up straight. Seeing me running down the path toward him, he called back, “Minnie!”

A few more seconds and I was mere feet away from him. I slowed briefly to drop everything I was carrying on the grass, then dashed into Minho’s wide open arms. He picked me up with ease, gracefully spinning me around a few times before placing me back on the ground.

He smiled, then kissed my forehead, followed by my nose, and my cheeks. Finally he moved to my lips, hovering millimeters away to whisper, “Happy birthday,” before at last pressing his lips to mine.

I melted into his sweet kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck to get closer.

It had been almost two years now, but each kiss still felt as exciting as the first.

Eventually we pulled apart, staring into each other’s eyes with matching smiles.

“So, are you ready for your last present?” he asked. I nodded eagerly. “Good. Where are the roses?”

“Umm…” I glanced around, finally finding them lying in the grass behind me. I picked them up and handed them to Minho. He added them to the six he held, creating a full bouquet of one dozen.

“There we go,” he said, handing all the flowers to me. I took them gladly, but I was a little confused. He must have noticed. “You brought the other half of the bouquet,” he told me. “You completed it, changing it from six bland roses, to a beautiful, full bunch of breathtaking flowers. And that is what you do for me every day.” He took my hand in both of his. “Before I knew you, my days were dull. Empty. Even blue skies seemed a little gray. But ever since I met you, you’ve filled each and every day with happiness and love. Colors seem brighter and everything more fun. Just like you did for that bouquet, you turned my days into beautiful things that I always want to have.”

“Hyung…” I breathed. I wasn’t sure quite what to say. His unbelievably sweet words melted right into my heart, filling me with a strong emotion. And that emotion was love.

“Taeminnie,” Minho said, staring directly into my eyes with an earnestness I’d never seen before, “I love you. I love you more than words can ever describe. And I have only one present that I’d like to give you today.” He pulled a small box out of his pocket, then knelt on the ground. As he opened the box, my heart threatened to pound out of my chest. Inside the box was a beautiful silver ring with three small diamonds in the center.

With trembling hands, I covered my mouth in disbelief.

He looked up at me, nothing but warmth and love in his eyes. “Lee Taemin, will you marry me?”

I nodded vigorously, tears forming in my eyes. “Yes,” I breathed. “Of course I will!”

The widest, brightest smile I’d ever seen spread across Minho’s face. He slid the ring onto my trembling hand, kissing it before standing up. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and crashed his lips to mine.

One thought kept running through my mind over and over again.

He just proposed to me. He proposed to me!

Minho broke the kiss to rest his forehead against mine. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I replied with a smile.

“HE SAID YES!!!” someone suddenly yelled. I looked to my left to see Key, Jonghyun, and Onew running towards us, grinning.

When he reached us, Key demanded to see my hand. He squealed when he saw the ring. “I can’t believe you’re getting married!” he cried.

“Congrats, you two,” Jonghyun said happily.

“Please tell me you’ll have chicken at the wedding,” Onew said, his sangtae coming out a little bit.

Minho and I smiled and laughed as the other three simultaneously congratulated us and rambled about how happy they were.

After a while, we all spread out the picnic blanket and the food. Now I knew why there was so much food in the basket—they had planned all along to have a big picnic together.

All five of us spent the rest of the day on that blanket, basking in the sun and celebrating both my birthday and my engagement.

I kept staring at the ring Minho gave me, still not quite able to believe that really just happened. I looked up at Minho, who was sitting next to me. We smiled at each other and leaned in for another kiss.

Surrounded by my four favorite people in the world, sitting in the sunlight, and holding the hand of the man I loved, I had one very clear thought.

This was definitely the best birthday ever.

 

~*~

 

A/N: What did you think? Did you see that ending coming?

Yeah, you probably did.

But I hope you liked reading it anyway :P

So, this was my birthday present for Taemin, even though he’ll probably never read it. But at least I can celebrate his birthday through writing :P

생일 축하합니다, 태민오빠!

Happy birthday, Taemin! :D

Thank you all for reading!