Jonghyun's Present

Red Roses

Taemin POV

 

Roses in hand and stomach fluttering with excitement, I ran down the stairway as fast as I could, hardly able to wait until I finally reached the bottom. Once I did, I shoved the door open and stepped out onto the sidewalk.

Just as the note promised, Jonghyun was there waiting for me, a gift bag in his hand. At the sound of the door opening, he turned to look at me, grinning.

“Happy Birthday, Tae!” he called, opening his arms wide for a hug. I was more than happy to accept, running over and wrapping my arms around him.

After a moment we released each other, and I couldn’t help but stare at the present in his hand.

Laughing, Jonghyun passed me the bag. Was I really that easy to read?

I didn’t really care, though, as I tore the tissue paper out of the bag to see what was inside.

It was a… blanket?

I carefully pulled the blanket out and looked at it. Once I recognized it, I smiled.

This was the exact same picnic blanket Minho and I used on our one-year anniversary. I taught myself how to sew, and I made this blanket for Minho as an anniversary present. But when it started raining on us, we just left everything there, the blanket completely forgotten in our haste to get inside.

I looked up at Jonghyun. “How did you get this? Last time I saw it, it was lying in a puddle.”

Jonghyun smiled. “I didn’t get it. Minho did.”

“What?” I asked, very surprised.

“It stopped raining when the sun came up the day after your picnic. Minho ran out to get this blanket then.”

I was taken aback. He really ran out when the sun first came up just to get this?

“Here,” Jonghyun said, handing me another note. “This will explain it.”

I took it from him and read.

 

     You remember this blanket, don’t you?

     We both just abandoned it when it started raining that day, but I couldn’t just leave it there.

     I couldn’t leave something that you worked so hard to make for me.

     So I ran outside as soon as it stopped raining to dig it out of the mud.

     I washed it, of course, and I’ve been treasuring it ever since, keeping it safely stored just for today.

     I’ve been planning your birthday for ten months, so I hope you enjoy all of it.

     Onew is waiting for you in front of the park. Go meet him!

     And, of course, don’t forget your roses!

     Love,

          Minho

 

He really went to the park so early to find the present I made him? And he’d been planning today for ten months?

I didn’t know what to say. I was touched, and happy, and, most of all, in love. And with every sweet word that was written on these notes, I fell in love even more.

I looked up at Jonghyun, an impossibly happy smile on my face.

He handed me two more roses, then put his hand on my shoulder. “Happy Birthday, Taemin.  You look amazing.”

We smiled at each other for a moment, then Jonghyun took a step back. “Now go find Onew before he gets distracted and runs off.”

With a laugh, I started off toward the park, five roses in one hand, and a picnic blanket clutched in the other. “Thank you!” I yelled to Jonghyun over my shoulder. When I looked back, I saw him waving, smiling happily at me as I walked toward my next stop.

Now what does Onew have for me? I wondered excitedly.

 

~*~

 

A/N: So… how many of you have figured out what’s going on?

I fear it may be a little too obvious…

Oh, well. Hopefully it’s cute enough to make up for that :P

Any guesses on Onew’s present?