Onew's Present

Red Roses

Taemin POV

 

Carrying five red roses and a picnic blanket, I made my way to the park, moving as quickly as my legs would go. After the two-block run, I finally arrived, seeing Onew standing under the archway entrance to the park.

When he saw me, he waved, a huge smile on his face.

A few more seconds and I was in front of him, happily accepting his hug.

“Happy Birthday!” he said, squeezing me tightly.

“Hyung, I can’t breathe,” I laughed.

Laughing along with me, he let go and took a step back. I smiled at him for a moment, then glanced around for my next present. I found it on the ground next to Onew.

He saw me looking at it, and, chuckling, picked it up. It looked like… a picnic basket?

Onew took the roses and blanket from me, then handed me the basket.

I opened the lid, not surprised to see the basket full of food. But there was so much of it. There were about twelve sandwiches, ten packages of apple slices, three bags of chips, and ten pudding cups.

I know I eat a lot, I thought, but even Onew and I together wouldn’t be able to finish all this.

The leader must’ve seen the confusion on my face, because he chuckled and said, “Key packed it.”

“That explains it,” I laughed. Key had a problem with always packing too much. Whether we were going on vacation, or to the mall, or, you guessed it, on a picnic.

So now I knew what was going on. I was going to have a picnic with Minho in the park, just like our first anniversary.

How romantic was that?

I looked up when Onew handed me another note. Carefully placing the basket on the sidewalk, I took the note and began reading.

 

     By now you’ve no doubt guessed what all these presents are for.

     So let’s not waste any more time.

     I’ve been waiting for you all day, and I can’t wait to see you.

     Come meet me. You know where.

     Love,

          Minho

 

I then handed the note to Onew, who was smiling widely.

“I know you’re in a hurry now, but there’s something I want to tell you,” he said, placing his hand on my shoulder. “I’ve known you for over five years now, and I’ve had the pleasure of watching you grow up into a strong, confident young man. I’m so proud of you and all you’ve done, and from the bottom of my heart, I wish you a truly happy birthday.” And with that, he handed me a single red rose.

“Hyung…” I was at a loss for words, and suddenly I almost felt like crying.

He smiled and patted me on the head. “Here you go,” he said, handing me the blanket, the basket, and the other five roses. “Now go meet Minho. He’s waiting for you.”

“Hyung… thank you,” I whispered. He gave me a fatherly smile, then turned and walked away.

I watched him go for a moment, then started on my way down the park’s path.

I knew exactly where Minho would be.

It was the same place where we had our first picnic—under that giant oak tree in the center of the park.

I ran down the path, butterflies in my stomach as I imagined Minho there, waiting for me to arrive.

I couldn’t wait to see him.

 

~*~

 

A/N: So, did anyone figure it out before Taemin did?

Probably all of you.

Anyway, one more chapter left! And hopefully it will be the best one.

At last Minho and Taemin will meet. Please look forward to it! :D