Chapter 12

Love me more, love me most

 

Kyungsoo and Luhan looked up from their homework attention caught by Fan Li’s sudden announcement as she entered the library, the woman in question looked excited.

“That’s quite sudden Mama,” Luhan commented putting his pen down to give his mother his full attention, “a dinner on Friday night, have you even planned for it?”

Fan Li nodded waving the list in her hand at her son,

“Of course I have and it’s just a small gathering nothing big, I’ve asked Yifan to invite your friends for you so you don’t have to worry about that. All you have to do is be present,”

Luhan frowned suddenly feeling uneasy as his younger brother was mentioned,

“Yifan knows about this dinner already and he’s invited our friends?” he asked skeptical, “why hasn’t he said anything to me?”

His mother shrugged,

“You know your brother, he does whatever he pleases,”

Luhan’s frown deepened as he glanced discreetly at Kyungsoo who was just as clueless as he was,

“Exactly he does as he pleases,”

 

-

 

The dining room was filled with an endless stream of conversation as their friends started to dine happily, even the heavy rain outside couldn’t dampen the light mood in the room. Kris sat across Luhan who was eyeing him and his smug smirk suspiciously, not even Jongin spoon feeding Kyungsoo earlier had wiped the smirk of his face and honestly Luhan was starting to worry.

His mother broke away from the conversation she was having with Minseok and turned to Kyungsoo,

“What do you think about a winter engagement Kyungsoo? I know its quite close but I think I’ll be able to make it work,” Her strong voice carried over to Kyungsoo three seats down. Kyungsoo dropped his fork in shock and everyone minus Kris flinched as it struck his plate almost shattering it, all the different conversations died down simultaneously.

Fan Li Imo continued not noticing the sudden change in atmosphere.

“I’ve called Seungsoo and he said he’d clear a few days for Yifan and your engagement, he even suggested having the party on your birthday,”

There was a long pause and Fan Li finally seemed to realize the shocked looks she had garnered with her announcement, she turned to Yifan and upon seeing the smirk he had on knew she had been played.

He older son on the other hand looked furious and was supporting the stunned Kyungsoo. A loud scraping sound filled the air and everyone turned as Jongdae shot up from his seat quickly upturning his chair, the boy bowed stiffly eyes trained on the floor.

“Thank you for the meal but I think I have to leave now,”

Kyungsoo tried to grab his sleeve as he rushed by, but he evaded it, Kyungsoo’s lower lip trembled,

“Jong-“

“Don’t,” the older boy warned as he backed away eyes betrayed, they heard the main door open before it shut with a loud slam. Kyungsoo pushed Luhan’s comforting hands away panicked as he scrambled to his feet running out after Jongdae,

“Hyung, hyung, wait!”

“Wei!” The confused butler entered after hearing his Mistress’ cry,

“Did Kyungsoo bring an umbrella with him?” she asked hopefully, he shook his head.

“A raincoat?” Another shake,

“A coat?”

“No ma’am, he just ran out after Jongdae-nim. I tried to stop them,”

Fan Li nodded before turning to frown at her youngest,

“Are you happy, Wu Yifan? I’ve never been more disappointed in my life!” she stood up mentioning for Wei to follow her, Yifan’s smirk disappeared as his mother and butler exited the room.

Baekhyun stood up slowly still somewhat stunned,

“You and Kyungsoo?” he asked slowly, Yifan nodded,

“For how long?”

“Ever since he moved in,” Baekhyun froze eyes tearing up with hurt and for the first time since Yifan met Baekhyun he felt guilty, everyone waited for the outburst as Baekhyun’s lips parted but only a shaky breath escaped him.

“Poor Kyungsoo, he kept it all to himself all this time…” the boy looked torn between anger and sadness, “Luhan hyung can I borrow an umbrella?”

Luhan got to his feet shaking his head,

“We’ll take my car,” the two left with Junmyeon and Minseok, Chanyeol was the first to break the silence,

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“We decided not to tell anyone,” Kris lied, he and Kyungsoo never actually talked about their engagement properly. Yixing eyes narrowed uncharacteristically and the two juniors at the table saw this as their cue to leave,

“Well that all changed today didn’t it!” the soft spoken boy spat angrily,

“Tell me Kris did Kyungsoo know your little secret would be revealed today? Did you give him a chance to tell his friends himself first or did you decide this all on your own?!”

They were all taken back, Kris lowered his eyes and Yixing stood up with a scoff.

“You’re unbelievable!”

“Ge, where are you going?” Tao asked getting to his feet.

“I’m going to search for his fiancé!”

 

-

 

Kris slowed down as he turned a corner and spotted Luhan’s car, he made out Luhan, Minseok and Junmyeon sitting in the car but Baekhyun was nowhere to be seen. Although the rain had let up in the past hour Kris had prayed that Kyungsoo was somewhere dry, the guilt had hit him at full force after Yixing had left.

His prayer however was left unanswered as he saw a sobbing Kyungsoo wrapped in Baekhyun’s arms, both boys seemed unmindful that they were getting completely drenched as they held onto each other in the rain.

Kris took a step backwards heart sinking as the sound of Kyungsoo’s cries filled his ears, he retreated head bowed all the way home.

 

-

 

Kris turned in his bed trying to get comfortable after his fifth turn he let out a sigh and sat up, giving up on sleep completely. He knew Luhan and Kyungsoo had returned home an hour ago he had heard them whispering outside his door before Luhan gave up asking Kyungsoo if he needed company that night and had retreated to his own room.

He looked up as he door creaked open softly, he sighed waiting for the scolding but to his complete surprise Kyungsoo popped his head in.

“Can I come in?” he asked nervously, Kris nodded unable to speak as he heard Kyungsoo’s gravelly tone. Kyungsoo shut the door behind him and made his way to Kris’ bed. Kris moved to make space for him he looked at his lap unable to look at Kyungsoo’s swollen eyes.

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo whispered shocking Kris, “now everyone knows,”

Kris shook his head grabbing Kyungsoo’s hand,

“No, I’m-“ Kris wanted to apologize he really did. He wanted to tell Kyungsoo it all his fault and that he had planned on having everyone find out, but he couldn’t stand the thought of another person being disappointed in him especially if it was Kyungsoo. He could deal with the guilt of lying to Kyungsoo, but he couldn’t lose all the progress he had made with younger boy so he kept silent.

“I’m fine,” he said instead, “They would have found out sooner or later.”

He bit the insides of his mouth when a look of relief spread across Kyungsoo’s face,

“Thank you for being so understanding hyung, I’m sorry for bothering you.” Kyungsoo stood up with a small smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes, Kris suddenly felt sick.

“Kyungsoo, I’m-“ he caught himself again, Kyungsoo frowned.

“You’re what hyung?” Kris shook his head,

“Nothing, goodnight,” Kyungsoo nodded closing the door behind him gently,

“Goodnight hyung,”

 

-

 

Kris spent the whole weekend avoiding Luhan and his mother while trailing after an unhappy Kyungsoo who kept on glancing at his silent phone. It didn’t take a genius to guess whose call he was waiting for.

Monday came and passed with an absent Jongdae and when Tuesday came with no signs of the boy, a pale Kyungsoo was found by Baekhyun crying in a music room.

“He’ll come around,” Baekhyun promised as Kris watched on helplessly.

“How can you say that hyung, Jongdae’s made it clear he doesn’t want to see me,” Kyungsoo managed to choke out, “not only does he avoid us during lunch but he even changed seats in all our classes,”

Kris’ brows furrowed as he searched for his cell phone, once he found it he dialed a number.

“What do you want?” He sighed at the angry tone,

“I want to make things right Yixing, where’s Jongdae?”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo sniffled quietly, he wiped away the tears that were blurring his vision and nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw a pair of feet in front of him. He lifted his head only to lower it again when he saw Jongdae’s glare, he shut his eyes tightly when he felt Jongdae’s cold hands on his face.

“Hit me if it’ll make you feel better,” he said worn-out with all the crying he had done. The hands left his face as Jongdae crouched down in front of him,

“Kyungsoo, look at me,” Jongdae sighed when Kyungsoo refused,

“Can you blame me for being so angry, so upset? Put yourself in my shoes, Kyungsoo! We’ve been friends for two years and for those two years we’ve kept nothing from each other. I mean I even told you I had a crush on you when I knew you didn’t feel the same way, I didn’t care about the consequences I just wanted to make sure there were no secrets between us” Jongdae chuckled bitterly, “Suddenly you’re engaged? How do you expect me to react?”

Kyungsoo remained silent,

“What do you want me to do, Soo? Do you want me to smile and pretend that you haven’t been lying to my face for the past month?” Kyungsoo flinched before shaking his head, Jongdae sat down tired of being angry,

“I feel as if I’m losing you Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo lifted his head at the confession looking at Jongdae,

“Hyung,” his voice wavered, Jongdae shook his head smiling sadly,

“I’m not upset that you’re engaged, you weren’t mine to begin with. I just wished you told me. To hear the news from someone else-“ Jongdae shook his head, “It felt as if I just wasn’t important to you anymore…as if I could easily be replaced by Kris, Luhan or Jongin and you wouldn’t even miss me.”

“Don’t say that hyung!” Kyungsoo said tearing up again, “You’re irreplaceable, how could you even think that? You know I love you!”

Jongdae laughed wiping Kyungsoo’s tears away as his own eyes started to water.

“I know and I’m sorry for acting like such a drama queen, I’ll forgive you if you forgive me,” Kyungsoo smiled and readily accepted Jongdae’s hug.

“Seriously though Kyungsoo, don’t keep things away from hyung,” Kyungsoo nodded holding onto Jongdae tighter,

“I won’t,” he promised.

 

-

 

-You know I love you!

Baekhyun grinned and pulled away from the door, brushing his sweaty fringe away from his face. He and Kris had barely made it on time only catching the end of the conversation.

“It worked,” he said happily as he turned, “good job...” he trailed off when he saw no one.

“Kris?”

 

-

 

Kris brushed by Luhan and Minseok, Luhan frowned.

“Yah where’s Kyungsoo?” Kris shut his door in their faces, he sat down about to shut his eyes when he saw two folders resting on his table. He flipped one open and scanned it eyes stopping on Kyungsoo’s name at the bottom of the page. His mind blanked out as Kyungsoo’s words echoed in his head,

‘You’re irreplaceable, how could you even think that? You know I love you!’

Why did it hurt? Kris thought, to hear Kyungsoo say he loved someone else. He let out a snort lips curling up in an unattractive grin as he realised he had been played and Kyungsoo had won.

 



A//N: Dramadramadramaaaaa (: Hey guyssss!! I got confused and thought I already updated this last week -.- Forgive this bird brain!!!

Hope you enjoyed the chapterrrr <3