Chapter 8: Rainie & Ariel

C for Cover Girl

 

Time: July 4th, 2009

Location: Taipei, Taiwan

 

Rainie said goodbye to Ariel and walked a few blocks over to her next job. She arrived a little before five at Cash Box, a famous KTV and popular hang out for young people. She changed into her waitressing uniform and checked the listing in her locker room for her service area. On Friday nights, she usually gets the V.I.P rooms from six to twelve. Rainie’s all plumped up because most of the people in V.I.P room want their privacy so they seldom ask for anything and this also means bigger tips for her.

 

Everything was smooth like she had hoped until Rainie spotted the last person she wanted to see, Aaron.

She pretended not to notice him as she cleared the table and brought them more chicken wings and beer.

But Aaron noticed her and he was not able to let things go so easily thing time. He pushed all the bottles on to the floor so Rainie had to get on her knees to pick it up: weren’t you so feisty earlier? Why aren’t you fighting back now?
Aaron’s reaction got the attention of his friends and they were all amused by this free show.  “Who is she?” one of the skimpy looking girls asked.

Aaron: No one important, just some dirty cockroach. 

The girl laughed: that’s pretty mean to say even though she must be poor to be working as a waitress.

Another girl joined in: yeah she probably can’t even afford school.

Rainie knew they all clearly had too much to drink so she started back out. But Aaron blocked her way and she was pinned to the door.

Aaron: Where do you think you are going? Or maybe you are Cinderella? Do you have to get home before 12 o’clock?

Rainie try to back away but someone pushed her from behind. She bites back tears as her knees hit against the table. Rainie quickly retrieved to the other corner and used the serving tray as a barrier between Aaron and her: I think you are drunk. I don’t think you want to do anything you might want to regret later. Just let me go and I’ll pretend nothing happened.

Aaron: and what if I don’t want to? What are you going to do then? Scream for help? Or pray that your fairy god mother will come to save you? Unfortunately for you, my big brother, you knight in shinning armor is not going to come to your rescue this time.

Aaron moved closer as the other people in the room continued to watch and laugh.

Rainie tried to hold him back but he was clearly much stronger than she was. He was closer enough that Rainie could smell the alcohol on his breath.

Aaron: I bet you don’t even have a boyfriend? Matter of fact, I been you have never even kissed anyone. Well, tonight this your lucky night because your prince charming has arrived, Cinderella.

 

Meanwhile, outside of the Cash Box, Ariel was waiting for Rainie to get off work so they could walk home together. Since Rainie gets off work at twelve, she’s usually out by 12:15 but Ariel had been waiting for 30 minutes and there is still no site of Rainie. She tried calling Rainie’s cell but there was no answer. After several tries she was getting a little worried. She thought about calling Patty but she didn’t want to make a big deal and cause Patty to worry. Just went Ariel was debating whether or not to go inside and look for Rainie, she was relieved to spot a familiar figure.

Vic also noticed her: Ariel, what are you doing here?

Ariel: Vic Ge, Rainie…she’s supposed to get off at 12 but she’s not out here. I’m getting a little worried.

Vic: are you telling me that she’s working her? Does Patty know about this?

Ariel understood by he might feel just like when Rainie first told her about this job. But Rainie convinced her that it was safe and besides the tips were really good.

But the angry and worried expression on Vic’s face made her feel like she was the worst friend in the world.

Ariel tried to follow Vic as closely as she could but the light was too dim and she was trying hard not to trip.

She got even more scared when a few drunken men brushed pass her. Ariel felt like she was able to cry and this is the environment Rainie works in every night.

All of a sudden someone was holding her wrist, she looked up in surprise and notice it was Vic.

Vic: stay close to me. I don’t want to lose one in order to find the other one.

The warm of his hand traveled up her arms and rushed into her brain. At that moment, Ariel was so glad for the dim light so Vic couldn’t see her blushing.

 

“This can’t be. My first kiss can’t be like this” Rainie thought to herself.

Rainie was pinned to the wall and Aaron’s lips were inches away from her face. She screamed and struggled but it was not use. Finally she accepted her defeat since the only thing she could do was stared him down in disgust.

 

The door busted open and two people walked in. Aaron was pulled back away from her and thrown onto the couch. Everything happened so fast, Rainie could hardly react as her knees gave out from beneath her. She had no idea how scared she was until she saw her Ariel next to her and tears started rolling down their cheek. Some of the people in the room tried to react but a cold stare from Vic and they are backed out quietly. Both men were surprise when they saw who the other person was.

Vic pulled Aaron up by the collar: what do you think you are trying to do? Even if she is just any girl she doesn’t deserve to be treated like this. Not to mention, she is…

Aaron: I don’t care who she is. And who are you to lecture me? You are the biggest player I know. You have done things must worst than what I was about to do to her.

Before Aaron couldn’t say another word, punches rained down on him. Vic didn’t stop until Rainie and Ariel both grabbed his arms.

Aaron was almost unconscious now.

Vic pulled him back up and made Aaron look at him: You need to get one thing straight, I might be a player but I never force a girl to do anything she’s not willing to. I am not going to tell your brother about the things that happened tonight because he will probably give you another beating if he find out. However, I think he is right about you needing a good lesson. From today on, I am going to make you a real man. Luckily for you, I am an excellent teacher.