Chapter 5: Meet Jolin

C for Cover Girl

 

 

Time: July 4th, 2009

Location: Taipei, Taiwan

 

By the time Jerry walked into the meeting room with Patty behind her, Cyndi just finished handing the magazines out. Barbie’s focus was on the magazine and didn’t event look up. Cyndi stood behind Barbie but she couldn’t help stealing a few glances at the guy sitting at the corner of the long table. His name is Jiro, the famous photographer of Cover Girl. To his opposite is the famous stylish of Cover Girl, Show Luo. Jerry took a seat at the head of the table as he looked from Barbie to Jiro to Show and then the empty seat at to him.

“I already called about an hour ago. They must be on their way now.” Patty reported to his boss.

But Jerry knew better then to wait for his long time partner/ best friend: “let’s get started with today’s agenda. I’m sure Vic will arrive whenever he feels like arriving.”

Jerry took at look at the latest magazine cover: “I believe the focus for this meeting is the cover of the 10th anniversary special? Let’s discuss everyone’s ideas.”

 

Meanwhile, on the high way of Taipei, Jolin was behind the stirring wheel going as fast as she could through the business traffic. She was glancing at the clock every few seconds and watched as it ticked away. In contrast to her nervousness, the person next to her was so relaxed that he even felt back to sleep. Jolin looked at her boss of two years and recalled how hard it was to get him out of the house and into the car this morning. Vic being the party animal he is often parties into the weed hours and sleeps his way into the evening and then starts his routine all over. Unlike her good friend Patty, whom is the assistant to the other boss at her company, her job is more like a baby sitter or a nanny.

 

Finally they arrived at Cover Girl’s head quarter but they were already late. Vic finally woke up as Jolin pulled in and parked her car. Vic got out and stretched while Jolin gathered his belonging. But instead of heading to the office he started walking down the street.

Jolin quickly ran after him: “Patty called this morning to remind you that there is an important meeting today.”

 

Vic didn’t seem to care much: “I know, I know. Jerry is there isn’t here? Besides what is the point of me being there, I don’t know anything to begin with. And Jolin don’t worry so much you will start to get old and get wrinkles. Let’s go, I will treat you to breakfast.”

 

Jolin knew there was not much she could say to change his mind so she stopped arguing and followed him into the café a few blocks down. As soon as they walked into the café, a young girl greeted them. She also took their order and asked them to sit anywhere they like. Right after they sat down, the owner of the café came over to café with them. Jolin had gotten to know the three people working at this café quite well since this was the first place Vic brought her to since she started working for him. She never quite figured out what it is about this place that seems to have a magic on Vic; from her point of view, this place is definitely beneath him. She was quickly ignored as Jacky, the owner invited Vic to sample his newest coffee collection. Jolin watched as Vic followed Jacky behind the counter and the girl named Rainie handed him one espresso cup after another. While the group behind the counter seem to be having a good time, Jolin tried to busy herself with her breakfast, magazines until she almost felt asleep from boredom. Oh how she wished she had a rich boyfriend so she doesn’t have to put up with being someone’s assistant.

 

The door bell chimed and a young man walked into the door. Maybe it was the sunlight or maybe it was his Manga like good looks but he almost appeared like a prince to Jolin. There was even a Prince like royalty feel about him. Jolin watched as he surveyed the room and had no luck finding a familiar face with no luck. The girl named Rainie greeted him as he retrieved to a table by the window.