Voices

Battle of the One-Shots

Chen had always been a lonely person and the voices were to be blamed. He heard them since ever and he couldn't probably imagine life without them. They were soft voices whispering in the back of his ears. At first, when he was a child and talked about them, his parents had worried and sent him to a psychologist. He was really scared of that old man that looked like a rat with shiny eyes and a predator manner. That's why the voices had told him to pretend he couldn't hear them anymore and so his parents stopped worrying much. Still he was always a lonely child and after that a lonely person.

His most beloved company were the voices, that were always advising him. He didn't trust them for everything, he liked his independence and taking his own decisions but when he was worried, upset or something along those lines he would always talk to them, and they would, of course, answer. For Chen talking "alone" was more than a simple habit, it was more of a way to keep himself sane, as weird as it sounded.

Contrary to peoples believes, whenever the rare situation of them knowing about his "state" happened, the voices had never coerce him to do anything. They were just company and a good conversation partner. Even though Chen was more of a listener than a talker so the conversation was mostly one sided.

He had adopted the custom of taking long walks along the beautiful park in front of his cozy apartment. In order for people not to think him crazy he would always use hands free, making people believe he was on the phone. He sometimes thought what it would be like if the voices had a body of its own but had never had the courage to say it aloud.

One day though, he did. He had imagined different scenarios, possibilities, of the voices reaction but nothing he could have thought about was even near to what reality presented him with. The voices laughed in a soft, tranquil fashion making Chen nervous all over. He didn't quite know what to expect. The voices just continued to talk to him softly, changing the topic. However Chen could perceive the faint shade of cheerfulness that overcame the voices.

That night he went to sleep with a smile on his lips and a lullaby on his ears, as always.

 

Morning came, waking Chen up with sun right on his face. He groaned, he was sure he had closed the blinds when he went to bed.

"Morning sunshine" the voices said. He recognized them but it was less that 'voices' and more like 'voice', it was also louder and stronger than it had been, sounding further away this time.

His eyes shot open and the first thing he saw was a smile, brighter than the sun shining through his window. A really handsome man was standing in front of him, smiling, sounding like the voices that accompanied him all his life. He didn't think 'who the hell is this man and what the is he doing in my house', he didn't quite need to know, he already liked the man, a lot, he couldn't

"How did you sleep?" the man spoke again. That's when Chen made his mind up that the voice was in fact his former 'voices'.

He neared his hand to the man's face, he felt the need to believe in him, to make the situation real and not just a dream. The man nuzzled his face into Chen's hand, his happy grin becoming incredibly happier. For Chen, the situation was so mind blowing he couldn't talk for another couple of minutes, all the while he continued caressing the other with his hand.

"You're them" he finally said.

"Yup," the other started "actually my name is Baekhyun, just in case you were wondering. I was so so happy you wanted me to have a body, I've wanted it for long" he finished.

"Baekhyun... I like it," Chen said, and added "I'm sorry it took me so long to make my mind up."

"Don't worry" Baekhyun smiled at him and Chen felt himself falter. That smile... he could live for and from that smile, he didn't need anything else.

"I'm so happy" he said, and he only realized he was crying when Baekhyun wiped his tears away.

He had finally encountered his voices body, his other half, his precious company. He was finally completely happy, his world was whole.