CHAPTER 2 Autumn Leaves

Unspoken...

 

A girl out of nowhere tripped me and my lunch fell and I was stained again.  I can hear everyone laugh at me and even him. “She is getting her karma!” one of his friends exclaimed and this annoying Junhyung laughs so loud. My friends didn’t even help me and they just run away maybe they don’t want to be involved in this bullying situation. I stand up with full courage and I was about to slap that girl but our director shouted at me and this girl pretended that I was the one hurting her and began to cry. The director called us to his office, I tried to explained but this girl is so good at acting and pretended that she didn’t mean it. Our director was so dumb and he was deceived. And now, I am given this punishment – a community service in our school. I will clean the whole school after my classes today! I am given a burden I don’t even deserve. Aigoo~ and things just get worse. I don’t have extra uniform now that I should be wearing for our project presentation in our class. What a bad luck! I stand to my locker for a few minutes. I still don’t know if I’ll open it for it will only add frustration finding out that I don’t have extra uniform to wear on. But to my surprise, a paper bag was inside my locker, and when I opened it, I was surprised to find out that it contains an extra unfirom. And there is this note,

Jae,

        We’re sorry if we left you at the canteen a while ago. We’re just… you know, we don’t want to get involve.

- Sunny & Seukkie

I was relieved to see that and thanks to my best friends who didn’t forget to lend me a hand and to help me when I’m in need. The presentation was successful and even though I’ve got much bad luck today, I managed it because I’ve got the highest grade! I was about to go home with a smile on my face but I’ve remembered my punishment. Ughh. I am going to hate this school starting today! They don’t have justice in here. Nevermind. I need to go to work.  It is autumn season and it was really hard cleaning all those leaves that were scattered on the school grounds. The wind was a destruction but someone is a greater destruction. As I look on the ground sweeping the leaves that keep on falling and in addition to, I was talking again to those leaves about my agony and how I hate Junhyung because all that’s happening to me is because of him. I saw someone standing before me, holding a broom too. I look up slowly just what I did before to Junhyung. The guy has a chocolate-stained on his clothes that made me realized it was Junhyung helping me! He smiled at me as if nothing had happened. I stop from sweeping and I did look at him, for the third time. It was silence and only the whoosh of the wind and falling of the leaves are all that I can hear even though he already started sweeping. No? Oh yes. I can also feel my own heartbeat too. It was loud after all that I couldn’t explain why. I was a bit shy to him after all that I said and did to him but I think he deserves it and this helping that he is doing serves me right, payment for my burden that was because of him. Then I remembered that I should also be working for this is my punishment.  Then after a long moment of silence, he called me, “Jaehee.” Oh how did he knew my name? Hmm. I turned around to look at him but his back was facing me as he face on the west. The tone of his voice means a lot. I know he wanted to say something to me because he called me. But why is he shy to tell that and even turned his back on me? I stood in silence again as I tried to speak but I couldn’t. I have the thought to tell him a sincere sorry but my lips are stuck in a way that I can’t speak. I turned around and the moment I turned, is the time he faced me. I took a glance at him but I saw him looking at me. And words just came out of my mouth without thinking what those are. “I-I-it’s finished.”

I said and took my bag and went away.

I’m making my way home now. And there is nothing that I could talk to, not even objects. So I decided to talk to myself. “What’s with those looks? It’s different from all his other stares that I see. And it’s so different from the look when he talks to Hyuna.” I went home leaving many questions in my mind.