03 J-Hope: When I Was Your Man

A Series of BTS Events.

03 When I Was Your Man

Featuring the reader and J-Hope.


[ Author’s POV ]

 

‘Geotjimariya you’re such a liar! See me see m-,’ J-hope picked up his phone, frustrated at the caller.

 

“What?!” He rudely spoke.

 

J-hope and you had broke up not long ago. He broke up with you because he was sick of your overprotective and stalkerish ways. You would call him almost every hour to ask where he was or who he was, you would trail him when he went for dance practices or hung out with friends. J-hope hated not being trusted. He knew you had trust issues, but it was too much for him. And, you didn’t treat him very well either. You would randomly accuse him of cheating, scream at him, order him around; his patience ran out.

 

“Why haven’t you called me, babe?” You, in an almost whispering voice, spoke.

 

“Look, we’ve broken up. I’m a free man now, I’m single. S-I-N-G-L-E,” he spelled out every letter of the word ‘single’, “Now would you stop bothering me?!”

 

He hang up the phone as he ran his hand through his hair and scratched his scalp. He was truly frustrated with you. He wish he had never met you. But then again, breaking up with you was the best choice he had ever made so far. Without you always mistreating him, endorphin was overflowing within his body. He smiled even more, he hung out with his friends, his heart felt so light.

 

Recently, you have been calling him non-stop. You still could not accept the fact that he dumped you. You really wanted him back, but it was too late now. You knew, the man who always brought you home when you were drunk as hell, the man who loved you and only you, no longer exists now. You regret not trusting him. All day long, you could not do anything, not a single coherent thought ran through your mind.

 

You were really lonely now. All the men you lied about when the both of you were having an argument, where are they now? They don’t even exist. The person in your fantasy whom you’ve often dreamt of, who was someone else, other than J-Hope.

 

For J-Hope, his life was only getting better. The apartment the both of you once shared became bigger, because J-hope was living alone now. He was socialising more, his circle of friends grew. He was playing like crazy, clubbing and partying every night, flirting with babes at the bar. He had become quite a casanova to be honest, it was something he never got to do when he was with you. For him, 24 hours a day wasn’t even enough for him to play.

 

One day, you were out window shopping when you bumped into J-Hope and his BTS members. When they saw you, they had a surprised expression. Suga, V and Jin awkwardly smiled at you, while Rap Monster eyed you from top to toe and Jung Gook and Jimin just pulled a straight face. J-Hope expressed his displeasure by letting out a breathy groan.

 

“Hello, you,” They greeted you awkwardly.

 

“We’ll leave the both of you to talk,” Jin paused as he nodded to you, “Hoseok-yah, call me when the both of you are finished talking.” With that, the 6 boys walked away.

 

J-Hope and you walked along the gravelled path towards a coffee house, not uttering a single work or making any eye contact. You knew he didn’t want to talk you, or even associate with you. When the both of you reached the cafe, J-Hope went to order the coffee, while you found a secluded spot at the cafe.

 

“Hot cappuccino?” He asked coldly as he placed the drink in front of you and took a seat with his in his other hand.

 

“Mm. How have you been?” You asked softly.

 

“Better than I would ever be. I’m more energized, unlike when I was with you, it was tiring,” He bluntly said, insensitive to your emotions.

 

You felt tears crystallising at the corner of your eyes, but you held it in. His words had hurt you. However, he really did not mean it. When he was with you, yes, he did feel tired. But without you, half of him felt empty, but it was probably just his messed up emotions.

 

“It must be embarrassing for you, eh? I’m doing so darn well, while you’re grieving. You kind of deserved this though. You’re mistreatment towards me, your overprotective ways, your stalker mode, your annoying phone calls and text messages, your controlling attitude and you not showing gratitude. It’s disgusting now. You really should have treated me better, miss you,”  He taunted.

 

[ A year later… ]

 

J-hope’s words were still etched in your mind, but you used it as a reminder and motivation. You were motivated to get a boyfriend and treated him better. You repented on your ways. Soon enough, you were with someone new now - Chanyeol - he was your source of happiness and joy now. You trusted him whole heartedly, you tried to be understanding, you learnt how to have empathy for others, and you truly loved him.


J-Hope was feeling the dire impact of his lifestyle now. His casanova tendencies led to fights and him being involved with too many girls. His drinking made his liver weak. He recalled what he said to you that day, he regretted it, those childish words. The boat has taken off and found another boat.