Moonless

The Tale of Two Dragons

- Hana

“What… is this…” I muttered, experimentally rubbing my inner wrist. There was a large, black bruise, but I had no memories of hitting my wrist on something.

“Hana, are you almost ready?” Grandma called. “We’ll be late!”

I checked my reflection one last time, making sure everything was in place, then rushed out to where Grandma was.

“Okay, I’m ready,” I said, and the two of us made our way through the chilly air to the town hall.

Tonight was the town gathering, something similar to an informal ball and a social gathering. Our town held them four times a year, to celebrate each season.

“Don’t get into trouble,” Grandma said as we entered the roomy building. “And keep Daeryong out of trouble too.”

As if on cue, Daeryong and his widow mother approached us, both dressed their best.

“Hana you look beautiful,” Daeryong’s mother, who I called Aunty, said in her soft voice.

“Thank you,” I smiled, giving a small curtsy.

Daeryong smirked, “You have someone you want to impress?”

I snorted, “As the to-be lady in waiting of the princess, I have to look my best.”

After all, the town gathering half a year ago had been where the Duchess of Freel had asked if I had interest in working in the castle.

Daeryong and I drifted away from Grandma and Aunty to join a younger crowd.

“Hi Hana,” Max greeted enthusiastically, his usually messy blonde hair swept neatly to the side.

I smiled at his bright smile, “Hi Max.”

“You greet her but not your friend…” Daeryong muttered.

Max laughed, punching Daeryong lightly on the shoulder, the two joking around easily joking around.

The musicians began playing, and the center floor began filling up with dancers.

Max bowed gracefully and offered me his hand, saying, “If the beautiful lady could grace me with a dance.”

Smiling, I let Max lead me to the dance floor. Max gently held my hand, and I rested my other on his shoulder.

“Daeryong’s quite lucky to be good friends with you,” Max laughed as we danced, his green eyes bright and playful. “You know, all the town boys are jealous of him.”

“Ah, so that explains his lack of friends,” I joked.

Max laughed, “You know, we should all do something together before we all start working. When do you start, Hana?”

“In about two weeks,” I said.

“Ah, we’re getting knighted around that time too,” Max grinned. “We’ll do something fun and crazy before that.”

“Fun and crazy?” I smiled.

“Really wild,” Max said.

He spun me around, and I was caught by a new partner.

“Hello Noah,” I smiled, greeting Daeryong’s friend.

“Ah, what luck. I get a dance with Hana,” he grinned.

And so the night continued, dancing with old friends and new people. I took occasional breaks in between to get drinks and snacks, or to catch up with friends.

When the final song was announced, a tall, handsome man asked me to dance. But before I could take his hand, I was pulled away by Daeryong’s arms.

“You weren’t gonna give me even one dance?” Daeryong asked as he pulled to the dance floor. He turned me to face him as the musicians adjusted their instruments.

“I couldn’t find you and when I did, you were busy charming girls,” I huffed.

Daeryong snorted, “Same could be said for you.”

The musicians started playing a slow song, and Daeryong pulled me closer to him, the closest I’d been to any guy tonight.

“You were drawing way too much attention tonight,” Daeryong said, resting his chin on my head. “You’re always such a pain Hana.”

I just laughed softly, knowing he was teasing me as usual.

“You know,” Daeryong said. “My nineteenth birthday’s coming up.”

“I know,” I rolled my eyes. “Are you going to celebrate it big as usual?”

Up until now, Daeryong has celebrated his birthdays in a rather grand fashion. Actually, more wild than anything. The whole town usually got involved by the end of the day.

“Nah,” Daeryong said. “I’m thinking of spending it with just a couple people.”

“Why?” I asked, surprised.

“You know,” Daeryong sighed. “Some of my friends are already married… I can't act like a kid anymore.”

I was shocked by the sudden change in attitude. I pulled back and took a good look at Daeryong’s sober face. “You alright?”

“Just growing up,” he smiled.

 

- Daeryong

“So… anymore bad dreams or attacks?” I asked as we walked home. In the end, Hana had told me about what had been going on for the past couple of weeks.

Hana looked up at the sky, and I followed suit. There was no moon tonight.

“No… I feel fine,” Hana said, her breath turning white in the cold air.

“Maybe you should visit the doctor…?” I suggested softly, already knowing the answer.

“And be labeled a crazy person?” Hana laughed softly, humorless. “I’m not sick. It’s not something a doctor can fix for me.”

I sighed, “I hate that you're not doing anything about it though… Especially with us all going to the castle so soon.”

“I’ll be fine,” Hana said, a smile on her lips that didn’t reach her black eyes. Black eyes were rare here in Agonia where people most commonly had blue or green eyes. My eyes, hazel, were considered one of the darker shades.

“Just… let me know if something happens, okay?” I said, wondering if she really would. Hana was the type to struggle with her own problems instead of telling others; similar to me. Growing up without a correct parent structure seemed to do that to people.

“Alright,” Hana smiled, stopping in front of her home. “I’ll see you tomorrow Daeryong.”

Mind spinning with thoughts, I made my way home, only a dozen paces from Hana’s.

“I’m back Mother,” I said as I stepped inside.

“Did you walk Hana back?” she asked from her chair in front of the fire.

“Yes,” I said politely, making my way to my room.

“Daeryong?” she called out. “Your birthday is coming up soon. We could make it extra grand this year, to congratulate your knighthood.”

“Thank you, but I’m thinking of just keeping it small this year,” I said.

She looked surprised, “Oh, then no feast this year?”

“No, it’s fine,” I said, opening the door to my room. “I’m thinking of just spending it with Hana.”

Hearing that, she smiled softly, “Alright son. Good night.”

“Good night Mother.”

Lying in bed, I tried to organize my thoughts. So many were swimming around my head in an almost dizzying way.

Mother…

I was worried about her. How would she survive when I went off to the castle? She depended on me so much… a woman who bore a son without a husband. She was an outcast wherever she went. The only reason we were able to live reasonably was because she seemed to have a mysterious source of money.

I assumed she sold her body for money. Only reasonable explanation.

I knew it was because we needed money, but ever since I’d pieced the puzzle together 10 years ago, I’d grown more and more distant to her until now I felt like she was a stranger. Hana was closer to her than I was.

 And marrying… marriage. A wife. A family…?

I shuddered just from the thought. I was definitely not ready.

But I was fast approaching twenty…

I sighed, unsure how I felt about the topic. I mean, sure, I was interested in girls, but I had never felt anything deep before. Never felt this thing called love.

My closest female friend was Hana, but just thinking of being anything more than friends with her made me actually laugh out loud. We had grown up together, and were the closest of friends, but that was it. No matter how stunning or beautiful Hana was, I dared to say that I’d become immune to her charm, unlike so many men who fell for her so easily. Although… some times I was caught off guard by that girl…

Thinking of her, I drifted into sleep.