Reflection

The Tale of Two Dragons

daeryong being y... ahajshfkajshfkajwehkjahwe

 

- Hana

“Do you know any twins?” I asked Daeryong out of the blue as we went to the market. Today was an off day for both of us, and we were running errands for both of our families.

“Twins?” Daeryong asked distractedly. “No… why?”

I looked up at him, letting my hood fall back, “Hm… are you sure?”

If the twins really had been born 19 years ago, that would be Daeryong’s age. Maybe one of his friends…?

“Yeah, I’m sure,” Daeryong said, giving me a weird look. He glanced around us and gave a sigh, pulling my hood over my head again, “Keep it up. You’re drawing too much attention.”

I grudgingly hid my face again, but pointed out, “You know, it might not be just me. You stand a lot yourself too.”

Daeryong had always been tall, and recently he had gotten more muscular from training, making him stand out in most crowds; not to mention his attractive face with an easy smile.

“Do you want to go riding with me later?” Daeryong said as we exited the market, our hands full with goods.

I shrugged, “Sure, sounds like fun.”

 

- Daeryong

I knocked quietly on Hana’s window, and a moment later, Hana opened it, peeking her head out.

“Why’re we even going so late?” Hana whisper yelled, glancing up at the black sky.

“Shh,” I said, holding my arms out. “Just come out before Granny comes.”

I helped her climb out, the deed done easier with her wearing my old breeches instead of a dress.

“I wanted to show you something,” I said, helping her onto Titania. I climbed on behind her and took the reigns. “But its full effect can only be seen at night.”

I led Titania quietly out of the town, the cobblestone ground gradually turning into dirt. As the ride lengthened, Hana leaned back into me, and I could smell her sweet scent, putting me into some sort happy daze.

I quickly shook my head, clearing my thoughts, and concentrating on finding my way in the dark.

“What’s wrong?” Hana asked, looking up at me.

“You smell bad,” I joked. “When was the last time you washed?”

“Do I really?” Hana laughed easily. “I bathed today though…”

To distract myself, I impulsively decided on something.

“We’re gonna go a little faster, okay?” I said, urging Titania to gallop. Her hooves pounded on the ground, carrying us quickly to our destination.

“We’re almost here,” I said, sliding of Titania. I led her past a short thicket of trees and arrived at an opening.

“Okay you can come down now,” I said, offering Hana my hand. She took it and slid down. I pulled her along and arrived in front of a small pool of water, perfectly still.

“Look,” I said quietly, suddenly feeling the need to soften my voice in the silent night.

Hana peered at the water, her eyes focusing on the still surface.

 

- Hana

“It’s like a mirror,” I breathed, staring at the clear reflection of the moon on the black water. The moon wasn’t completely full anymore, but it was still round.

Daeryong mumbled something, but I didn’t hear him, too mesmerized by the reflection of the moon. I couldn’t look away from it.

Without warning, my heart suddenly started racing unevenly, its loud pounding blocking out all other sounds. I felt dizzy and my vision was blurring. I swayed on my feet, and Daeryong steadied me, asking what was wrong.

“Make it stop Daeryong,” I gasped squeezing my eyes shut and putting my hands on my ears. “Make it stop!”

It felt like forever until the throbbing in my chest dulled and silence filled my ears.

“Do you think you can ride back?” Daeryong asked me softly. He had held me in his arms during my whole attack, soothing me and wiping away my tears.

“Yes…” I whispered, not trusting my voice.

The ride back was silent. I leaned back into Daeryong for support, drifting in and out of hazy sleep. The whole time, I could feel the moon’s gaze on us, following us wherever we went.