Chapter 4

Beneath the Moonlight

5 days went by quickly and before I knew it, the sky was filled with stars twinkling idly in its own way, all surrounding the crescent moon above. The town is now completely deserted; all the townspeople going by their business in their own homes.

And I find myself back in the same garden I was the other night.

I’m the kind of person who doesn’t like being ordered around, but strangely enough, I seem oblivious enough to follow the princess’ instructions and come back. There’s something about her that I can’t make myself not obey her. Or maybe it’s just me. Yeah, I think it’s just me.

Looking in every direction, I search for any guards that are probably out on their night shift. When I find that the coast is clear, I quickly and quietly make my way to the mansion and up to Yeonhee’s window. Without making any noise, I quietly creaked open the window and slipped inside, closing it back gently. I turned around to face the bedroom and found Yeonhee in her night gown, patiently waiting for me. She was sitting on her bed, the pink bed covers covering her up to her legs.

“You finally came.” She smiled that same gentle smile she put on that same night. “I was afraid you wouldn’t come again tonight.” She added as she got up from her bed and walked towards her tallboy. A little bag, which I haven’t seen it there before, sat neatly beside it. She took the bag from the floor and handed it to me. Feeling the heavy weight of the bag, I’m beginning to wonder what’s inside in such a small but heavy bag.

“There are some valuable things inside that I thought might be good to give out, which I found around the house. Don’t worry about my family looking for them. I’m absolutely sure they won’t notice. I think some aren’t even being used anymore.” She said as I went through the contents. True to her word, everything inside felt and, from what I can see with the moonlight, looked valuable. I looked back up at her and nodded as thanks.

“Why don’t you talk? It doesn’t hurt to say something. Unless you feel uncomfortable around me…?” She asked and I shook my head in response.

“Oh… Well, I was actually wondering what your name is but I understand that you might not trust me, well, yet.” When I didn’t do anything in response, she pursed her lips together, her eyes focusing somewhere else rather than me for a while as she rocked on her heels. I looked around her room, still holding the bag on my hand.

“Well, um… I guess you probably need to leave now.” Yeonhee said after a few moments of silence. “You have people to help.”

I bowed in respect to her. After all, she’s the daughter of the most influential man in the village. She smiled that same gentle smile and shooed me to her window.

“Good night.” She called as I quietly and carefully slid open the window. I was about to leave when I stopped and looked back at her. She now stood beside her bed, fixing the sheets and pillows of her bed to her liking.

Should I tell her my name? It wouldn’t kill to tell her, would it? I could trust her, couldn’t I? It’s been 5 days and no one has actually jumped out of her closet and arrested me on the spot. Aish, don’t be crazy! Just get out of the window now!

“P-Princess…” Don’t be a fool, dammit! Just shut up and get the hell out of there!

Yeonhee froze for a second then turned to look at me. I kind of expected her shocked face. But she composed herself real quick then.

“Y-Yes…?”

“I-It’s Yoochun…” Too late.

“My name is Yoochun. And, thanks.” I gave a sly smile, waving the bag she gave me to her a bit then left her there, blinking in shock. I closed the window, easily climbed down and walked my way farther and farther from Yeonhee’s home, being careful of guards who are on their shift.

Yeah, I’m crazy for having told her my name. I should have just left without saying anything. Aish, good skills, Park Yoochun. Good skills.