Chapter 3

Beneath the Moonlight

Dressed in a pink silk pyjama dress that is cut just above her knees, Yeonhee sat on the edge of her bed, lightly combing her long brown hair. The light glowering from her candlelight flickered as the wind blew softly from her window. Yeonhee’s gaze shifted to it.

The moonlight glowered down faintly through it.

She placed her brush down on her bedside table and stood up from the edge of her bed, walking to her window. After gazing at the beautiful moon before her, she closed her windows shut and headed for bed, blowing the candlelight off.

-----

Not far from where Yeonhee slept, standing behind the brush, stood the Black Robin, watching.

He crept out, after the lights flickered off, and sat there in a crouched position. He hacked the grass off the ground as he waited; waited for the right time to quietly come in unnoticed.

After quite some time, he stood up, sensing that the coast was clear, and casually walked to the direction of the two-story house. Within seconds, he was already standing on the edge of the window; Yeonhee’s window, but he didn’t know it belonged to her. Slowly and carefully, he pushed it open and wondered why the person didn’t lock the window shut tight.

He quietly crept inside, scanning the room as best as he can with his vision, using only the moonlight to illuminate his surroundings. So far, he saw nothing valuable out in the open; which was normal to him considering the rich keep their valuable things safely somewhere. He saw a tallboy and started his search for anything worthwhile there.

-----

The seconds turned to minutes. Minutes to hours. For some odd reason, Yeonhee couldn’t sleep at all. Every now and then, she would shift to the other side, close her eyes tight or drape the covers over her but drowsiness wouldn’t overcome her. She didn’t feel tired even just a bit. Just when she was almost drifting to sleep, she heard it.

A sound that seemed like someone was looking through something.

She remained still, not sure of what to do.

‘It’s probably my imagination.’ She thought to herself though she couldn’t help but feel the urge to sit up from bed and look around just in case there was anyone in her room. She knows there’s nothing but she did so anyway. In front of her, where her grand drawer sat, stood a dark figure roaming through her drawer quietly, his back to her.

She gasped, a soft gasp of surprise.

She didn’t mean to make a sound and cause danger to herself but before she could even realize it, the figure froze.

Silence.

Yeonhee just stared, her eyes wide in shock. The dark figure slowly turned to her. From what Yeonhee could see, he looked as if he is in his twenties and was completely dressed in black, except nothing covered his handsome face. What did, though, was a shocked expression.

She eyed him as he slowly reached down into his pocket and took out what looked like a small bottle with liquid in it, sploshing around as his hands shook. The bottle fell from his hands and rolled down to Yeonhee’s direction.

Yeonhee stood up from her bed, took the bottle from the floor and looked at it, grazing her fingers gently on the polished glass. She spotted a familiar seal imprinted on the bottom of the bottle and looked up at the man after realizing to whom this seal belonged to.

“You’re… The Black Robin…?” After what seemed like an eternity, he finally nodded, gulping and pursing his lips together. He knew this girl standing in front of him, despite her loose pink pyjamas and her hair flowing back. No one would dare not recognize Yeonhee and her beauty. Yeonhee’s the emperor’s precious daughter and strangely enough, he felt like he could trust her, which was odd for him. He never had this feeling before, especially towards the rich.

Yeonhee slowly stepped forward to his direction, catching his attention once again.

“Here.” Yeonhee whispered softly but with the stillness around them, he could hear her. She held out both her hands to him, the petite bottle cradled on her palms.

She’s returning it back to me… He thought as he eyed Yeonhee closely, his gaze going to the bottle then back to her and vice versa. With shaky hands, he took the bottle back and held onto it tightly, thinking if he should use it or not.

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone you were here.” Yeonhee finally spoke again after a long silence. She spoke with assurance and had a serious face on. She walked past him, to her tallboy and pulled something out. It looked like a wooden jewelry box to him.

Yeonhee opened the well-carved decorated lid of the jewelry box and took out everything that was of value, handing them to the man one by one. In all honesty, he never experienced someone who would willingly give up their belongings to him. This was the first time. Yeonhee closed the lid of the jewelry box and put it back to where she usually keeps it. She faced the astonished man and smiled a small smile.

“Come back tomorrow night, if you want. I don’t mind at all.” With that, she went back to her bed. Mid way, she stopped and looked back. “Oh and, don’t bother leaving your note card. Saves you paper.”