xvii. look

carte blanche; drabble challenge

 

Today, Kyungsoo and Jongin decide to go camping because , it’s spring break and Kyungsoo has forgotten how to feel.

They sit with thighs pressed against another’s; legs dangling above thick tree branches that glisten with the age of moss. They share a cigarette and a pair of binoculars—Kyungsoo occasionally (frequently) snatches the binoculars from Jongin’s hands.

And maybe Jongin just imagines it, but he sees Kyungsoo’s lips tug up just a little. Then his hesitant arms wrap around Kyungsoo’s frame as the elder points at blue birds and exceptionally large seagulls with childlike wonder.

At night, an ambience of darkness exhales a thousand burning stars, and Jongin has long since climbed down from the tree and now lays sprawled across the tent that they never managed to set up. He stares at Kyungsoo until his eyes become sore and sleep overwhelms his will to see Kyungsoo’s beautiful smile.

But Kyungsoo still trails after the birds flying home, and the frantic insects, and the crawling of fiddler crabs beneath the shadow of his feet. Then he notices his lover’s slumber, deep breaths into the depths of the campsite.

God, Kyungsoo thinks, everything is so beautiful.