Hana

Turn Of Events {UNITed Trilogy}

{^*~

Hana's POV

I sat glumly in my seat, ignoring yet another confused glance from yet another auditioner. Yes, I'm a teenager sitting at the judging table for the trainee auditions for one of the biggest entertainment companies in Asia. Please get over it already.
I groaned loudly, slamming my head against the back of my head a few times. This boredom is literally suffocating. I groaned even louder, attracting the attention of my aunt and her fellow judges.

"Hana-ah," my aunt said, glancing at me shortly before moving back to the notes in front of her. "Please be more quiet."

"Hwayoung-unnie," Yes, unnie. She's my mom's younger sister, so she's not really that old but apparently feels that way if called imo. I did once to mess with her, and she almost murdered me. I didn't realize exactly how terrifying utensils could be until then.

"I'm bored," I whined.

"I don't see how," she replied coolly. "We're in your hometown. I thought you'd be more enthusiastic."

"Watching the auditions for two hours straight killed my enthusiasm," I deadpanned before slamming my head against the seat again. It's already two in the afternoon, and I was planning to ambush Abi at her house. Before I could do that, however, I have to both remember - what? It's been five years! My memory isn't that great, you know! - and find wherever her house is. That could quite possibly take one to two hours. New York City isn't exactly small, you know.

"I only have about an hour left," she said, rolling her eyes at my dramatics.

"But that's so looooooong," I moaned, causing my aunt to roll her eyes yet again - didn't really realize how often she did that until now - before calling in the next contestant who actually tried to argue with the judges about their decision. As if we - well, they -  would have accepted her with the way she frailed her arms and legs as an excuse for dance. She ended up stomping off all shocked and angry after being not even rudely, but gently, kindly even, rejected.

"You'd think they'd try to offer a bit more hard work and preparation for these, considering how it's supposed to be their dream," I scoffed, honestly disgusted by her lack of preparation. She had some natural grace and slight potential, but it was obvious by her attitude that she hadn't prepared, probably expecting to get in with no trouble  all.

"Not everyone has that type of mindset, Hana," Hwayoung-unnie replied, somehow managing to keep the annoyance she also felt out of her tone as she looked over her notes. "They replace drive with arrogance."

"And are somehow surprised when they don't succeed," I snorted.

My aunt chuckled, already calling for the next auditioners to enter. It was a pair audition this time, causing me to sit up a bit straighter and pay a bit more attention. Generally, pair auditions are better than solo since it takes more work to actually dance in sync. Naturally, with the extra work, pairs have gotten a better response than some of the solos. There were exceptions, of course, so my hopes for some actual entertainment that can't be considered a comedy or legalized torture aren't too high.

Two strangely familiar girls stepped up, bowing and saying some things that I didn't pay attention to since I was so occupied with trying to figure out who they were. I mean, I know I've met them before...

I was snapped out of my thoughts when music filled the room, having missed a minute of set up and introductions...which I probably should have listened to for the names. It would have saved me the headache I'm starting to get. Whoops.

On the bright side, this song is freakishly awesome, and while I haven't actually seen them dance, they get props simply for choosing this song to dance to. It's an old song, which was always really underrated, but the other kids and I loved it. We even choreographed a dance to it when we were-
Ohhh. Dude, that makes so much more sense now. I kinda feel ashamed that I didn't put it together earlier.

I shook my head at my slowness, watching Lai and Abi fluidly move through the dance that's been imprinted in my brain since the two of them taught to us. It looked kinda strange since two people were missing, but there was no doubt that they were in, meaning giving them a little shock would be harmless, right?
Smirking, I jumped up, ignoring my aunt's and the other judges' questioning stares. I quickly moved into position and joined in on the choreography, laughing at the way they faltered fron shock when they recognized me. Looks I'm not the only one slow today~

After Abi laughed off her shock and Lai attempted to coolly play off her slip, they matched my grin, and we ended up finishing the dance flawlessly. Pretty good for not practicing for five years.

We held our ending positions, waiting for those last few seconds of music to fade away. I couldn't help feeling nostalgic as I flashed grins at everyone.

"Well, that was fun," Abi said, stretching back as if we just saw each other yesterday, and she wasn't planning on hugging me to the point of no air in a few seconds. I couldn't help but laugh at that. Nice to see that she hasn't changed much.

"HANA~!" Lai squealed as the two of them tackled me.

"I missed you guys so much!" I exclaimed, near tears, which you can't judge me for. This is a touching reunion between best friends. We shall follow the cliche and cry together.

"We missed you and your manlyness as well! Five years without contact is way too long. Never again, people, never again," Abi said in her mock grave voice.
 
The words were true, but it was the mention of an old inside joke that made me burst out laughing.

"So how's everything? Family and all that stuff?" I asked, struggling to stop my laughter.

"Mine's fine. Siblings are annoying as usual. How about you guys? Abi, your onii-san's in college now, right?" Lai answered, rolling her eyes at her mention of her younger siblings.

"Yea, he decided to go to-"

"Ahem," I heard someone - my aunt, probably clear their throat softly to disturb our happy reunion. Rude. Well, we actually completely forgot they were there, so maybe we were the rude ones...

Abi seemed to have the same idea as she immediately bowed and apologized though it was easily waved off. Actually, all of the judges seemed to not have minded whatsoever, considering their smiles. I guess we just touched them with our beautiful reunion. Makes sense.

"We'd like to thank you ladies for that spectacular performance! Congratulations to all three of you for passing the dance portion of the auditions!" my aunt announced with a happy grin.

Heh, knew they'd make it in. It would be more shocking if they didn-
...wait, what?

"'Three of you?'" I asked, figuring that I just heard wrong.

"Yes, Hana, three of you," Hwayoung-unnie repeated with the same happy grin. "I've waited forever for you to finally take interest in being a trainee, and now that you've actually completed half of the audition, there is no way you're getting out of this, kid," she finished her little speech off with sticking her tongue out at me, obviously feeling victorious.

Yea, so I might have put off being a trainee for a while now. It just didn't seem right to do it without the others. Plus, I didn't want to take the risk that I would be debued earlier if I entered the trainee program before them. Now that they're here, I guess it's okay. Next is just the singing audition anyway, where I can just sing...nothing. Crap.

"Woah, okay, I have no problem with being a trainee now, but can't I wait until we get back home? I have nothing prepared! I'll completely fail thi-" I was cut off from my rant - complete facts, thank you - by my two so-called best friends attempting to dislocate both of my shoulders as they pulled me out of the room and to the next audition area.

"Guys, seriously, I have nothing prepared! Let me go back to my chair! It's my favorite! It's spins around, and it's comfy! COMFY! Nooo, please, don't do this! Yah, you guys!"

"So what do you plan on singing?" Lai nonchalantly asked Abi as if she didn't have my arm in a death grip at that very moment.

Of course, the jerks would ignore me.

"I'm thinking about singing that one son-"

"This could be considered kidnapping, you know! It's completely suable! YAH!" I cried, attempting to get them to let go of me for a second time.

"I don't think you can sue," Abi laughed. "You would need witnesses for one thing."

"I can get witnesses!"

"Really? Because I'm pretty sure that's your aunt and the other judges I hear laughing right now."
...
Sob.

~*^}

{*♦*} {*♦*} {*♦*} {*♦*}