One Week Off

Strictly No Commitment

“Luhan how long does it take to move in to an apartment I want to see it!” Baekhyun said stamping his feet. Luhan had his elbows on the bar and was massaging his temples in an effort to wish away the 7AM headache.

“Baekhyun please, Jongin and I just bought our first couch yesterday and we are currently sleeping on it. Have you ever tried to fit two people on a couch? Jongin kicks in his sleep! I don’t think my bruises have healed because of it.” Another month had gone by like clockwork and Luhan and Jongin were still filling their new flat with creature comforts. As sad as it was, they had decorated more than they had gotten necessities like a bed, drawers and a shower curtain. The shower curtain was first on the list at present, as it was still unnerving to shower without the confines of a shower cubicle even though Jongin had stopped trying to high jack him in the shower.

“Are you alright? You look terrible.”

“Ugh this move is slowly killing me.” Luhan groaned, now pounding fists into the sides of his heads.

“Well trying to squish your brains with your fists isn’t going to help.” Baekhyun said pulling his hands away from doing permanent damage to himself. “Why don’t you ask for a few days leave to get yourself rested and your apartment all straightened out?”

“I can do that?” Luhan looked to Baekhyun with eyes of last hope; last hope as in if Baekhyun was kidding him it would be the end of Baekhyun but if he was being serious he was about to ditch Jongin, kill Chanyeol and marry Baekhyun right now.

“Yeah, it’s the holidays so Sehun and I can cover your shifts and I’m sure Suho can pull in someone temporarily if he needs to. Just go ask him and-” Luhan cut him off with a sharp sprint up the stairs and him almost breaking the door to his office down. Baekhyun chuckled a little as he watched before greeting Kyungsoo as he came in.

“Hey Kyungie.” Baekhyun called from the bar as the singer walked in.

“Hey Baekhyun, is Chanyeol here yet?”

“No, he had to stop for gas so I got out and walked.” Baekhyun giggled. “I’m sure he’ll be here any second.” Since Baekhyun started taking shifts at the bar he wasn’t able to sing with Chanyeol’s guitar anymore which was a shame, but it gave Kyungsoo the opportunity to step in and shine; and shine he did. No one wanted to admit it but Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were on par as highly skilled vocalists.

Chanyeol had also landed a gig in the last few weeks so he and his band of merry misfits frequented a lot of events to get recognised and so Kyungsoo was sometimes left to call on his friend Minseok to sing with, the kid also sporting a stellar voice. The bar was quite different now, with Jongin now starting university, more people being brought into the fold and the drive from home to work for Luhan changing, it was all something he was happy to see.

Moving around so much meant constant change and Luhan had found that unlike city folk, Luhan thrived in change. He and Jongin had to find a new park to go to so they could push each other on the swings at night making sure to keep each other fit with the walk to and from it.

“OK so I get the entire week off next week to sort out the apartment and finally get a bed in the flat- Oh hey Kyungsoo!” Luhan’s breathing was heavy, probably from the sudden run.

“Hey, did you really get a whole week off? Awesome!” Kyungsoo congratulated.

“Thanks! Ugh I can’t wait to finally fill that apartment with some furniture, it looks like an insane asylum just without the padded walls.” Luhan said, making everyone laugh.

“The whole week off?” Jongin couldn’t believe it.

“Yup!” Luhan chirped in Jongin’s arms. “Look, I know you’ve had a long day dancing, but I’m going to be honest with you,” Luhan said, voice turning cold, “if I have to sleep on that couch with you for one more day I am going to make you sleep on the floor.”

“Lu, our floor is cast concrete!”

“Then take me shopping now. I don’t care if you have to bleed to make my bed tonight, but you are buying me something to sleep on.”

“You know you’re only cute when you boss me around and you’re .”

“Well if you succeed tonight we can put a new mattress to the test ASAP.”

“Deal! You owe me after all, that microwave was a huge let down.”

“I’ll get one, don’t worry.” Luhan assured, chasing Jongin’s lips for a kiss.

“You know this has actually been kind of fun, we’re making this place our own.” Jongin said, holding Luhan’s hips and looking over their home. Various paint cans lay around the house with brushes and trays next to them as they were still in the process of repainting. The plastic cover that they had for the couch was currently on and Luhan decided to let Jongin off the hook tonight on the bed issue so long as they did some much-needed painting.

The main room was on its’ last wall to being a nice low sky blue, the kind of colour that you would only see in fairy tales. The bedroom was a matching blue to the main room and only a little bit of the bare concrete had been dabbled with drops of blue. The bathroom attached to the bedroom remained white, as they had decided to try and match the already existing tiles in both bathrooms to a set colour scheme.

“You know the way you squat, and stand and squat, and stand with that roller should be illegal.” Jongin winked.

“Your mouth should be illegal.” Luhan shot back.

“Ooh, . Maybe you should join me in prison-”

“OKAY STOP. The beach was hot but prison fantasies will only get you kicked onto the curb.”

“Kicking is new.” Luhan sighed at that.

“There is just no pleasing you there… And before you say anything!” Luhan snapped as he held the roller threateningly.

“Let’s just get this last wall finished so we can sleep.” Jongin said surprisingly out of character.

“Let’s. I can’t believe this is the last wall of the main room, yay!” Luhan cheered, dabbing his roller in fresh paint as he started to paint even quicker.

“Yay, then we can move on to the guest bathroom.” Jongin deadpanned.

“Don’t you think it’s weird we have two bathrooms and one bedroom?”

“Yeah, but at least then we can leave as many condoms in our bathroom without looking weird.”

“Amen to that.” Luhan said, not really caring how he’d begun to catch on to Jongin’s thought patterns, even though it probably wasn’t a good.

“Does it have to be green?” Jongin sighed.

“Oh come on Jongin, I promise it will look smashing when it’s done.” Luhan had taken a bit too much pride in the bathrooms. He had colour-coordinated the walls, towels, soap bars, even the tiny picture prints on the toilet paper down to the same shade of green as the tiles already present. Though Jongin had to admit, when all was painted and done it would look smashing. It was a soft shallot green that would be calming to take a bath in.

Their own bathroom attached to their bedroom though had been given a matte black, chrome silver and soft white theme. The taps in the shower and sink were matte black with chrome finishes and the glass mounting bracket was chrome enough to be spare parts for an aircraft. The tiles were black as well whilst the walls stayed white, and so did the cupboards with their chrome handles and the towel holder in the same finish. The towels as well as the soap and tissue paper were also white whilst the glasses along the sink to hold toothbrushes and so forth were glass as they were in the other bathroom.

Half an hour later, Luhan was done with the roller, dumping it in its’ tray as it splashed over onto the floor. He crashed on the couch and Jongin crashed on top of him. “You know Jongin you are the heavier one out of the two of us?”

“That’s no way to talk to your boyfriend!” Jongin protested.

“I like the way that word rolls off your tongue.” Luhan admitted.

“Well come a little closer and I’ll show you what else rolls off my tongue.” Jongin sweet-talked, reaching over and pulling Luhan’s chin up in his fingers.

“I’m only rolling in Jongin, sorry.” Luhan said falling into the kiss. The couch was a much nicer upgrade from their last one, which was crappy and cotton and Luhan had been prodded in the by a loose spring more than once. Just as Jongin had dropped his pants over the back of their new white leather one, the doorbell rang (another improvement; this bell actually still worked) and Luhan went to answer it under heavy protest whilst Jongin hid behind the couch and pulled his pants back on.

“Delivery for Luhan?” the man said.

“Oh thanks…” Luhan said. I don’t remember ordering anything… Unless Jongin used my credit card again, the er. Jongin was just as puzzled as they stared at the two boxes they had just dragged in and left on the floor.

“Well let’s open them, come on.” Luhan agreed, going to the kitchen and grabbing two knives as they each tore their way through a box.

“A foot stool?” Jongin said, tipping his on its’ wheels.

“Two of them?” Luhan said, doing the same.

“You know these look an awful lot like…”

“Our couch.” Luhan finished. And sure enough, as clear as day, their couch had transformed. The two ottomans were large enough (and too conveniently shaped to not be part of the ensemble) to fit together to extend the couch far enough to accommodate both Luhan and Jongin for a good night’s sleep.

“Would you look at that…”

“Oh my gosh I can sleep tonight!” Luhan nearly cried, Jongin pulling him in for a kiss and moving him over to the kitchen counter so he could prop him on top of it.

“Want to give these a test run, you know, just to make sure they’re safe?” Jongin smirked. His eyes were wide with renewed passion and his lips did that small side smile Luhan couldn’t say no to, and he didn’t.

“Hell yes.” Luhan breathed hoarsely. Jongin had decided to test the strength of their kitchen counter while he was at it, expertly jumping up on Luhan’s lap and pushing him down on his back with a sort of gentleness Luhan hadn’t expected. Luhan’s feet swayed off of the edge and Jongin straddled him with both knees by his waist. Luhan pulled himself up and was met halfway as Jongin came in and the two clashed for dominance. Luhan was quick to get his teeth into Jongin’s bottom lip but Jongin didn’t relent, pushing Luhan back onto the counter and down his neck for a few seconds, which Luhan had no complaints about until he remembered.

“Jongin the couch.”

“Right.” With Jongin not being any help, Luhan decided to use his body weight, however slight it was, to have Jongin upright yet still working his way across his clavicle with cute nips. Luhan thought the time for was over, and snapped Jongin’s attention forward like he had the first time they’d met and used yet another kiss to push him and send him over the back of the couch.

It was now when Jongin lay slightly crumpled in the couch with his knees over the back and growled seductively at Luhan. Neither of them could remember whose pants or underwear hit the floor first (which was probably an unfair competition as Luhan’s had ended up hanging off of the lamp), only that they had and were currently both on the couch putting it to a rigorous strength test.

“You know I think I’m beginning to get used to this routine…” Luhan said, face bunched as he let off a small smile at Jongin behind him.

“I’m just getting used to all the you’ve started giving me.” Jongin said.

“Should we at least try and eliminate the first aid from the picture then?”

“Why, is the nurse routine starting to bore you? Honestly, I think that’s your fault, you could at least wear a dress for me then we would have no problem.” Luhan actually considered it for a second before smacking Jongin behind him. “Worth it.”

“Are you done?” Luhan snapped, referring to the bandages on his hips from Jongin’s nails.

“Yup!” he chirped. The two got up, Luhan a little slower than Jongin who lent himself to help him up. It was with silent recognition that they applauded their new couch for surviving even a minute of that before they slid under the same silk sheets Luhan had insisted on stealing from their previous apartment, and fell asleep around each other like they always had.

“Lulu~” Jongin cooed, dragging faint fingers over Luhan’s soft cheeks. “Come on, I know you’ve been off work for a few days but we have work to do.”

“Mhrmm…” Luhan mumbled. Jongin sighed, deciding to start poking the end of Luhan’s nose a few times which might have made Luhan squirm like a fish out of water but it at least exposed his face enough for Jongin to pin him down and breathe some oxygen into his lungs with a kiss. “Mmmm… You always know just how to wake me up.” He smiled, eyes still closed.

“You stay in bed a bit longer, let me cook.” Jongin reassured, unsuccessfully. By bed he really meant the couch.

“Oh god, help me.” Luhan said as his eyes opened wide to stare at Jongin. “Do you remember the last time you tried to make breakfast? I think you set a world record for the earliest emergency services call for the fire department.”

“Hey that was because our gas line broke and I was trying to cook umma’s kimchi soup, for which there is a reason only umma cooks it.”

“Haha, well thank goodness our stove is electric then.” Luhan winked, before being shut up with a frustrating kiss.

“It’s actually gas.” Jongin said, not giving Luhan any comfort.

“You said it was electric!”

“Yeah that’s because I know how much you hate poorly installed gas lines, but this one’s solid.” Jongin reminded him. A lot had happened since Luhan’s nearly-apartment had been set alight by the fourth of July. He admired the irony in the situation; all he wanted to do at that time was get out of Jongin’s house and out of Jongin’s life and here he was, out of Jongin’s house and in their house; out of Jongin’s life and now living their life together. Luhan didn’t regret any second of it, even the bandages on his hips he’d learned to love.

No regrets. Luhan assured himself. He loved to watch Jongin function; he loved to watch him putter around the kitchen and seeing him less than comfortable in an alien environment was more than entertaining. Jongin had a cute face when he was concentrating; he almost looked like a cocker spaniel, his eyes open and his lip dropped yet it stayed that way as he flipped through a recipe book Luhan had brought with him on the road and was too attached too to throw away.

Jongin never had this face when he danced. When he danced, he didn’t need to concentrate. Dance flowed through his veins like the blood he depended on; it lived inside him. His feet would always find an appropriate rhythm when he felt a tempo, whether it be from a boom box or the way Luhan would sing little songs he thought of when they were alone at home or in the park. When they did this Jongin would always smile whenever he caught Luhan’s eyes through the fluid use of his limbs. Dancing well had been as confusing to Luhan as singing so beautifully had been to Jongin.

“You could really go somewhere with your voice.” Jongin would often tell him. Luhan never took him seriously but deep down he really did, given a day had never gone by when Jongin wouldn’t remind him of how sweet his voice was. Breakfast was done quicker than expected and they had both agreed not to eat at the counter standing this time, as the couch was not an easy place to use a knife and fork. Conversation was a dud as they were both starving from last night, but it eventually began to pick up. “So what’s on the list today for furniture?” Jongin asked.

“Well I was thinking since it's early we could first go and get some groceries at the store and then swing by the department store and finally look for a bed.” Luhan said, shovelling their favourite breakfast down fast; pancakes. “And then we can spend the day putting it together after you’re done in the studio.” Luhan really was the best boyfriend for Jongin. The apartment was a two-storey building but they had only rented the top floor to live in, as the bottom floor was actually a dance studio. Luhan had chosen this apartment for that very reason, so he could practise on a proper floor. The previous owner of the flat used to run dance classes in it but had since moved abroad apparently on a ‘spiritual mission’.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Jongin said, snapping Luhan from his reverie. “I’ve got to work on my solo choreography anyway.”

“How goes your group production?” Luhan asked.

“It’s good, Minzy got in a call a few days ago to a local company who said they could design us all matching jackets in different colours which she got in a huge rave moment over.” Jongin said smiling. Minzy was one of the girls in Jongin’s dance class, she was also a first year but you would never have guessed it if you had watched her dance. She was small and very young, still wide-eyed out of high school, and had the cutest black bob with a complementary fringe to match. Minzy had a friend Hyoyeon, who was studying applied music, also at K-ARTS. She and Minzy were best friends from junior high. Luhan liked Hyoyeon a lot, although Jongin and her often clashed, leaving Luhan and Minzy to break up any disputes.

“Oh awesome! I want to see when all is said and done, OK?” Luhan said cleaning up his plate, leaving Jongin to wonder where the time had gone.

“Sure.” When Luhan was finished with the dishes, he quickly hopped over to where Jongin was and s his arms down his front and smiled.

“Do you want to shower and then dress each other?”

“You dirty little-” Jongin would never finish that sentence, as Luhan was already running a shower in their own bathroom and he was too busy leaving his clothes over the floor.

Jongin was sweaty. Need Luhan say anymore? He’d finally come out of the studio pressing a towel to his forehead before moving to the guest bathroom to take a nice soak behind their new shower curtain they’d finally bought. It was a matching shallot green to the only painted wall, with a double white pinstripe four inches from the hem at the bottom. Luhan loved hated it when Jongin would walk around the flat in nothing but a towel because it made it very hard not to shove him against the nearest dry wall and dispose quickly of the towel. With strict orders to put some clothes on (to which Jongin pointed out the iness of Luhan telling him what to do once more) Jongin finally sat with Luhan on their bedroom floor trying to piece together their bed.

“Does this go on the head board?” Jongin asked holding up one of the support beams.

“No, there is no headboard Jongin, remember?” Luhan showed him the picture on the cover of the manual he was busy reading. Their bed was, for all intents and purposes, a box to sleep on. It had rounded edges at the top and bottom, was made from a light pinewood with four melamine white drawers and was approximately futon height.

“Then were does my phone and our condoms go?” Jongin whined. Truth be told there was a headboard but that lay packaged in the kitchen, it being separate from the bed they were assembling but part of the same range of furniture. Luhan tried to explain this to Jongin with limited results. “I don’t get it…”

“Just help me fix our bed and then you can have your headboard.” Luhan sighed, that aching headache coming back.

“Okay!”

Work at the bar was beginning to increase each week, a little bit at a time but after a month it was clear Luhan was needed back. Baekhyun could only be so thankful to Jongdae for helping out tonight. His boss and Suho were good friends from Suho’s old bartending days (something Baekhyun had not expected to hear Suho ever say) and was sent over to the bar without any questions asked.

“Sehun, table three!” Jongdae asked politely. He was a good stand-in manager as well as he’d been waiting tables apparently since he was fifteen years old, and now twenty-one.

“Alright!” Even Sehun liked him, which was rare given he really wasn’t in the circle of friends Sehun was familiar with, but things had been changing a lot recently. Jongin only worked three days now that he’d started university, Luhan had picked up his hours and was practically working non-stop and with Chanyeol often not at the bar it was hard sometimes to stay positive, but all that changed when Chanyeol would come to pick Baekhyun up at closing hours, the two of them cleaning up with Sehun like they always used to. Jongdae’s only fault was that he seemed to get distracted far too easily. He was focused right up until certain points in the evening, usually at the end of every song Kyungsoo and Minseok were singing where he would stop what he was doing and clap tremendously, bringing all the other customers in to clap and leaving the two on stage a tangible shade of pink.

“Hey Jongdae, would you and Sehun mind splitting my tables, we need someone behind the bar and- JONGDAE!” Baekhyun shouted, Jongdae too focused on Minseok’s solo to catch what he had said and Baekhyun having to repeat himself.

“What? Oh, yeah sure!” Jongdae answered, passing Baekhyun on his way to the bar but being caught by the smaller boy’s disturbingly perfect fingers.

“You so have it in for Minseok, that’s why you can’t focus!”

“What? No!”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of, everyone on our wait staff is either gay, biual or dipping a toe in both pools to test the waters.” Baekhyun reassured.

“Can we talk about this after work?”

“You bet.” Baekhyun winked.


A/N: To be continued! Tee~hee ^^" not that you have to wait long, the next chapter is right there!

         >>> Here is my tumblr, scarletk21.tumblr.com, my twitter, @ScarletK21 and my ask.fm, ScarletK21 ✯
                  > All of it is pretty much K-Pop. Feel free to drop me a message or a question, I'm always happy to chat ◕‿◕