Part 4

Never Say Never

I walked to the front door and rang the bell. A few seconds later, it opened and I saw a girl a few years younger than me.

“Hi?’ she asked. I smiled.

“Hi, you must be Sunny. Um, I was looking for WooYoung. I’m a friend of his.” I said. She smiled and let me in.

“Unnie, are you his girlfriend?” she asked as she led me to his room. I hesitated.

“He came home real late last night. I was up with my friends. It was about 4 o’clock.” She said. I nodded.

“I know, he was with me.” I said. She smiled.

“Okay, he should be in there.” She said. I looked at the door. Before she left, I stopped her.

“Oh, Sunny?’ I asked. She turned back around and looked at me.

“I am. His girlfriend.” I said. She smiled excitedly and skipped away. I took a deep breath and was about to knock when the door opened. I saw WooYoung standing at the doorway.

“Oh, hi.” He said. I smiled.

“Hi.” I said. He let me in and closed the door.

“Look-“ we both said.

“You go first.” I said. He sighed.

“I’m sorry about what happened last night.” He said.

“About that.” I said. He looked up at me surprised.

“What I told you last night, about me liking you too. I think it’s true. And because it’s true, I think we did…that…” I said. He stared at me for a second.

“Really?” he asked. I could see the disbelief.

“Yea, and I really want this to work out.” I said. After a moment, he smiled.

“Oh, well in that case, will you be my girlfriend?” he asked. I smiled and nodded.

-------------------------------------------

Three Years Later

-------------------------------------------

I stepped out of the car and walked into the campus.

“TaeYeon!” I turned around and saw WooYoung running to me. I stopped and waited for him.

“Hey, babe.” He said when he reached me. He kissed my cheek and hugged me.

“Hey, WooYoung.” I said with a smile.

“I told you to get a room. Oh wait, you guys already got a room, three years ago.” Junho said coming up from behind holding hand with HyoYeon.

“Shut up!” I said. Hyo smiled and waved to me. I waved back and hugged her, freeing myself from WooYoung’s grip.

“Uh, no. I don’t approve.” WooYoung said. I turned around and looked at him with a smirk.

“And why not?’ I asked.

“Your hugs are strictly and only for me.” He said. I rolled my eyes and hugged him again.

“Aww, is that right?” I asked. He nodded. I smacked his head and we all started walking.

“Ahhh!” SooYoung said, running to us.

“I’m out.” Junho said. HyoYeon kissed him bye and turned back to us. It’d been three years since Junho and SooYoung broke up, and they still haven’t gotten any closer to each other.

“What?” I said.

“I have a stalker!” SooYoung said. Everyone looked at each other.

“Are you serious?” Hyo asked. SooYoung was fine with Hyo because Junho went to her first and she knew Hyo always had a thing for Junho.

“I’m dead serious!” she said. She looked behind her and pointed to a tall kid who was walking toward us. I sighed.

“He’s your stalker?” I asked. She nodded.

“He’s been following me all day!” she said.

“The day started 20 minutes ago.” Hyo said, making a point.

“Well, he’s been following me for the last 20 minutes! Hide me!” she said. The tall kid came right for us. He looked behind me and furrowed his eyebrows and sighed.

“Why does she keep running away from me?” the kid asked us.

“She thinks you’re a stalker.” I explained. He rolled his eyes.

“Okay, no matter how pretty she is, and yes she is pretty, I’m not a stalker. Do I look like a stalker?” he asked.

“You could totally pass for one.” Hyo said without hesitation. The kid’s jaw dropped. He shook his head and sighed again.

“Wait, you’re not a stalker?” SooYoung asked, coming out from behind me.

“No! They told me you were the transfer guide! I’m a transfer!” he said.

“Oh, well why didn’t you say so!?” SooYoung asked.

“Because you kept running away from me.” He said. SooYoung sighed.

“Okay, common. Let’s get you around.” She said. She led the kid away everyone busted out laughing.

“That was such a slow moment!” HyoYeon said. I nodded and clenched my stomach.

“Okay, let’s go.” I said when I caught my breath.

-------------------------------------------

There was a silence between everyone as the movie kept going on.

“This movie is so sad.” SooYoung said, drying her eyes with a tissue. I yawned and leaned my head on WooYoung’s shoulder.

“This movie is so boring.” I said. He laughed and kissed my forehead. The lights flicked on and I immediately sat up.

“Bring back your books later, class is dismissed.” the professor said. I stood up and stretched.

“Oh my gosh, that was the longest class of my life.” I said. HyoYeon stood and agreed with me.

“What’s up with the TV?” SooYoung asked. We all looked up and saw a plane burst into flames as it hit the ground.

“What the…” I said.

“…reports are coming in that only three people have survived the plane crash. They’ve all suffered injuries but all are minor and they are not life threatening.” I stiffened.

“Hey, TaeYeon, aren’t…” I stopped Hyo from saying the rest.

I looked over at Junho, who was staring at the TV.  I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and looked at the caller. It was my aunt.

“Who is it?” WooYoung asked.

“My aunt.” I said. Junho’s head popped back to me.

“Answer it.” He said. I clicked the answer button and placed the phone to my ear.

“Hello?’ I asked.

“TaeYeon? It’s your aunt.” She said.

“I know.” I said.

“Well, have you seen the news?” she asked. I nodded, and then I realized she wasn’t there.

“Yea…” I said.

“I’m sorry…” she said. I blinked a couple of times.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, I don’t know if your mother survived.” She said. I shuddered.

“She’s probably fine.” I said. Everyone looked at me.

“Oh…alright. Call me when you hear from anyone.” She said. I nodded and realized that she wasn’t there.

“Alright.” I said.

“Well?” Junho asked.

“She told me to call back.” I said. Junho suddenly reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

“Who is that?” I asked.

“I don’t know…” he said.

“Answer it! It might be something important!” I said. He nodded and answered.

“Yes…” Junho said. He pulled me out to the hallway. No one was out there. He put the phone on speaker.

“Okay, we can both hear.” He said.

“Alright, well…I’m sorry but your parents didn’t survive the crash.” A lady said. My heart stopped for a moment and started again. My breathing became heavy and I felt my eyes sting.

“If you could, come down to the Seoul Regional Hospital?” she asked.

“O…okay.” Junho said. He hung up and looked at me. I looked outside and saw rain pouring down onto the window.

“I don’t believe this…” he said. I couldn’t say a word.

“TaeYeon?” he asked. I bit my lip and tried to hold back my tears that were stinging my eyes.

“It’s okay.” He said. And with that, my tears flowed and I fell back. I landed on the floor and sobbed. He put his arms around me and I felt his pain. The classroom door opened and WooYoung, SooYoung, and HyoYeon walked out. HyoYeon bent down and hugged me, then Junho.

“I’m so sorry guys.” She said. WooYoung came beside me and took my hand.

“It’s gonna be alright.’ He whispered into my ear. SooYoung stood there and watched us, soon, she was crying too.

-------------------------------------------

I watched as WooYoung, SooYoung, and HyoYeon all bent down and bowed in respect in front of the pictures of my mom and Junho’s dad. My cheeks were soaked from tears that flowed for two days straight. They stood back up and stood still for a few seconds. When they were done, they all looked at me and Junho. Junho hadn’t shed a tear yet. His eyes had bags because of lack of sleep, and his face was pale and he had gotten thinner.

“Are you okay?” HyoYeon asked Junho. He smiled and nodded.

“Stop lying.” I said. Hyo turned to me.

“Stop putting on that ‘I’m okay’ smile and just admit that you’re not okay.” I said. Junho looked down and then back up at me.

“I’m fine right now.” He said.

“Then why don’t you sleep at night?! And why are you always sitting on the couch and not doing anything but starring at mom and stepdad’s wedding photo?! Why are you hiding your pain?! It’s killing me to see you act like you’re fine, when you’re really not! You were the one who told me it was okay to cry! Now it’s my turn, Junho. It’s okay to cry. It’s okay to show how much you actually did love the two. I’m sure it’s gonna feel a lot better when you do.” I stared at him for a moment and finally saw a tear run down his cheek. I stretched my arms out and hugged him.

“Let it out Junho. I know it’s hard for you. It’s hard for me too…” I said. I pulled away and saw that he’d been crying the whole time. I felt tears come to me and turned back from him.

“TaeYeon…” I looked beside me and saw WooYoung. His arms were spread open for me. I smiled and plunged into his embrace.

“WooYoung, I have no idea what to do…” I said.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about that. Just put out all your tears.” He said. I squeezed him tighter and let the tears come out.

-------------------------------------------

I lifted the small table and carried it to the front door.

“Here” WooYoung took it from me and put it inside then he ran back out and got the bigger table. Junho and I were moving into a new house.

“You don’t have to do everything for me! I’m sure I can carry a tiny table.” I said. He smiled and kissed my cheek.

“I want to do everything for you.” He said.

“Yo! WooYoung! Come help me with this!” Junho yelled from the truck. WooYoung smiled once again to me and ran over to help Junho unload the couch.

“He’s so sweet.” SooYoung said, coming out from the house.

“Well. What can you say?” I asked. SooYoung pushed me and smiled.

“You know that guy that came up to me the other week, the transfer?” she asked. I nodded.

“He asked me out yesterday.” She said. My eyes got wide and I turned to look at her.

“Oh my gosh! You should totally go out with him! He’s so cute!” I said.

“Hey! I already said yes!” she said.

“So does that you and Junho are finally gonna stop being so awkward with each other?” I asked. SooYoung looked over at Junho, he and WooYoung were having trouble unloading the couch with just two people.

“Let’s go help the two first.” She said. I laughed and followed her.

“You guys need some help?” WooYoung looked up at me from under the couch. He was trying to support all the weight by himself.

“Yes…” He said. I ran over and tried to lift some of it. I grabbed the corner and tried to lift it.

“Ahhh! Not working!” I said. WooYoung laughed and took the corner from me. Him and Junho finally lowered it to the ground.


“Hey! I was gonna help this time!” I said.

“Umm…how’d that work out for you?” he asked. I pouted and smacked his wrist.

“Shut up!” I yelled. He laughed and ruffled my bangs. I stuck my tongue out at him as him and Junho lifted it and walked it into the house.

“Well, that plan didn’t work out.” SooYoung said coming beside me. I nodded. A shiny black car pulled into the driveway and HyoYeon got out.

“Ah! I’m sorry! I got here as soon as I could!” she said, putting her shoes on. I watched curiously.

“Why are you putting your shoes on?” I asked.

“Oh, I was sleeping in the car. You know, my feet were sore.” She said. The car drove out and I saw a pink suitcase sitting beside where the car was.

“Why do you have a suitcase?” I asked. She looked at me with a questioning expression.

“Didn’t Junho tell you?” I shook my head. Just then, I saw WooYoung and Junho walk out of the house.

“Lee Junho, explain.” I said. Junho looked up and saw HyoYeon, and then he looked at me.

“There’s nothing to explain. Hyo’s gonna be bunking with me for the rest of the year. Her parents are moving into Busan and she would have to transfer or something, so I convinced them to let her stay with us.” He said. I opened my mouth to say something, but I closed it and smiled.

“Well, at least it wasn’t like’ I’m gonna get married to Hyo so we’re gonna be living together now~’, or something like that.” I said. Junho rolled his eyes.

“Well, is the suitcase all you have?” I asked. She shook her head.

“My stuff is in there.” She said, pointing to the truck.

“Oh…” I said. She smiled and stumbled over to me in her heels.

“These shoes are killing me.” She said. SooYoung and I threw our heads back and laughed.

 “Then change your shoes!” SooYoung said. Hyo smiled.

“I forgot to bring any…” she said. SooYoung and I stared at her with our mouths wide open.

“Close your mouth. A bug’s gonna land in it.” WooYoung said coming up behind me. He closed my mouth for me and walked off. I stood up straight and stared after him with an unsatisfied look.

“And that is all the stuff!” Junho said. He pulled the door closed and walked over to HyoYeon.

“I’m glad you’re gonna be here with me.” He said. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her nose. I looked back at SooYoung. Her smile was gone and her lips were formed into a line. I intentionally cleared my throat and smiled.

“Let’s get inside! It’s freezing out here!” We all hurried inside. There was a low rumble outside and it started to pour. I looked out into it and sighed.

“Come on.” Junho said, pulling me away from the rain. I turned to him and smiled.

“ Okay.” I said. I looked back outside once more and then closed the curtains.

-------------------------------------------

I lifted my cup of wine and smiled.

“To our new home and the happiness of every one of us, for now and forever more!” I said. Everyone said their cheers and we clanked our cups. I looked around at everyone. When I looked at SooYoung, her expression was sad and cheerless.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked, pulling SooYoung away from the other three.

“Nothing. I’m just tired, that’s all.” She said. I looked at her in skepticism.

“Really?” I asked. She looked into my eyes and shook her head.

“I still love Junho…” she mouthed. There was a slight smile on her lips, and then it faded. I her back.

“Maybe it’s time to forget, him and Hyo are going on strong.” I said. SooYoung smiled.

“You don’t know how many times I’ve tried to tell myself that. It’s just not possible. I didn’t even go on a date with Chansung, and I broke up with him an hour ago. It’s crazy. I’m staying up all night, thinking about him…I can’t do it anymore. I feel so sorry for HyoYeon, but I’m still so mad about letting him go…” she explained. I sighed.

“I’ll go talk to him. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s all a show.” I said. SooYoung nodded.

“Just try not to mention that I still love him like there’s no end.” She said. I nodded. We turned back around and everyone was staring at us.

“What?” I asked.

“We didn’t have anything to talk about.” Junho said. I rolled my eyes.

“Okay, common. Let’s go…play a game or something!” I said. HyoYeon jumped up and down.

“Charades!” she yelled. I smiled.

“That’s a fun game! I guess we’ll have two teams?” I asked. They all nodded.

“I’m with WooYoung.” I said.

“And Junho and me are on a team…well…” Hyo said.

“I have to go anyways. My mom told me to come home early.” SooYoung said. We all said our goodbyes and set ourselves up to play charades.

“I don’t wanna play. I feel bad.” HyoYeon said. I saw Junho and WooYoung nod along with her.

“Well, I guess we don’t have to.” I said. We packed up the box and sat down around the couch.

“Well…I gotta get going. Mom wants me home so she can talk to me about something.” WooYoung said, standing up. I stood up and gave him a kiss.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said.

“No, I’m coming back for you.” He said. I smiled and nodded. WooYoung left and the three of us were sitting in the living room.

“Did we unload three beds? Cause I didn’t see the third bed.” I said. Junho shook his head.

“Nope, just two.” He said. I crumpled my eyebrows together and pointed to the two.

“You guys are…” I said.

“Hey, it’s not like we’re gonna be doing anything!” HyoYeon said. She smiled.

“Unlike you and you-know-who.” She said. I pouted.

“We were drunk, thanks to HIM!” I said pointing to Junho.

“Hey, I didn’t tell you to drink so many cans of beer! That was you guys’ fault!” he shot back.

“Oh whatever! We were gonna end up together anyways!” I said. Hyo nodded in agreement.

“But still, you weren’t dating, and it definitely wasn’t on purpose. Hey, did you use protection?” Junho asked. I rolled my eyes.

“It’s been three, no, almost four years! If we didn’t use protection, I’d probably be sitting here with a kid in one of those rooms, screaming for me because they lost a toy or something.” I said.

“Oh…where’d you get it?” Hyo asked.

“I didn’t know you had any.” She said.

“It wasn’t mine. It was SooYoung’s. She left it there the week before. She said that…um…her and Junho were thinking about it…but they didn’t do it…” I said. It got quiet. And Junho looked down at his hands.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?” I asked Junho.

“Me?” he asked, pointing to himself. I nodded. We excused ourselves from HyoYeon and went into his room.

“Tell me this one thing…do you love her?” I asked him. He sighed. I guess he knew it was coming.

“No. I’m not. I’m in love with someone else.” He said. My eyes widened and I was listening intently.

“What?” I asked, trying to clarify the meaning.

“I’m in love with SooYoung. But I don’t think she’s even interested in me. It’s been too long and I don’t wanna break Hyoyeon’s heart. I think she really loves me, but I don’t feel that way for her. I regretted breaking up with SooYoung the moment she ran out of my room. But I couldn’t turn back and tell her that I was sorry and get back together. It’s just not the right thing. So I kept it to myself. I don’t wanna go like this anymore, but I don’t think I have a choice.” He explained. There were tiny tears in his eyes. He was in pain. I could tell.

“Just to tell you this, when a plate breaks into two, it becomes separated. It longs for the other half until it gets it back.” I said. I stood up and opened the door. HyoYeon was still on the couch. She was staring into her phone.

“I’m out. You can go in now.” I said. She looked up and smiled. She bounced off the couch and closed the door on her way into Junho’s room. I heard laughter as soon as she walked inside.

“He makes her the happiest girl on Earth…I wonder if SooYoung will ever feel the same again…” I walked into my room and closed the door. Suddenly, my phone vibrated. It was a text from HyoYeon.

 

From: HyoYeon

I know Junho doesn’t love me.

 And I know he still loves SooYoung.

And I’m gonna do something

I’m probably gonna regret. But it’s ok.

Sent: 10:49 p.m.

 

I smiled. That’s my girl.

-------------------------------------------

The stars outside were shinning like there wasn’t a limit to how much they could shine.

“I’m glad we moved here. To the suburbs. There isn’t as much light pollution. I can see the stars so clearly.” I said.

“I’m glad you’re happy.” WooYoung said. His arms were wrapped around my waist as I was sitting on his lap, looking out into the stars from the balcony.

“Yea…” I said.

“But you do know the stars aren’t the only things that shine.” He said. I looked away from the stars and looked into his eyes.

“Well duh~ there’s the moon and the sun-“ WooYoung cut me off.

“I meant you.” He said. I pouted and smacked his arm.

“That’s so cheesy!” I said. He laughed and kissed me.

“I know, but it’s true.” He said. I smiled and kissed him back.

“It’s nice to have you here. It’s nice to have you beside me every night.” I said. He my hair and sighed.

“My mom talked to me about getting married.” He said. I turned to him and opened my eyes wider.

“What’d she say?” I asked.

“She wants me to marry someone I will be able to be happy with for the rest of my life. She mentioned your name. She said you’d be good for me and as a bride.” I blushed and felt myself smile.

“That’s great!” I said. He laughed and nodded. He placed me down on the floor and got up.

“So, I wanted to ask you now…” he said. I didn’t know what he was gonna do next until he did it. He bent down on his knee and pulled out a white bow. He opened it and there was a small sparkly ring in the box.

“Will you marry me?” he asked. I felt my eyes sting. A tear dropped onto my cheek. It wasn’t a sad tear, but a happy tear. I smiled and nodded. I covered my mouth when he slipped the ring onto my finger.

“It fits…”I said. He smiled.

“It’s the size of my pinky.” He said. I smiled wider.

“If my wedding ring finger is the same as your pinky…”

“Then we’re meant to be.” He finished. I nodded and hugged him.

“I love you.” I said. He smiled and nodded.

“I love you too. Even more than the stars.” He said.

------------------------------------------- 

 

Thanks for reading! No PR today, I gotta sleep, so thanks!