What Did I get Myself Into?

It's Me La

Previous Chapter: 

“It’s not about whether what he is learning will be useful, but it’s about his pride and dignity as a Korean. Please think about it Soo Yeon,” the teacher asked.

“I’ll think about it,” Jessica replied shortly and with that, she grabbed Dong Hae’s arm and they rushed to the student council meeting that they were three minutes late to.

Bold= Korean Dialogue

Chapter 4:

The meeting was shorter than excepted and in less than 20 minutes the meeting was over. A rush of happiness went over Jessica's over. With Korean school finally over it meant to Jessica that she could finally go home, have dinner, finish homework (for bother regular and Korean school), practice piano, and sleep. Just as Jessica put the papers given out during the meeting away in her school bag, she felt a slight tug on her arm. Jessica was a little peeved because she wanted to get home as quickly as possible, but she got a little bit more annoyed once she saw that it was Dong Hae who had pulled on her arm.

"What do you what Donghae," Jessica said in English because Korean school hours were over and none of the Korean school staff was in the room either.

"Are you seriously going to tutor me to help me in Korean school," Dong Hae asked seriously. 

"I'm still thinking about it. I have a really strict schedule to stick to, so I'm not sure if I can," Jessica responded, not particularly caring if she really could tutor him.

"Please say that you can't tutor me." Dong Hae told her, almost beggingly.

"Why?" Jessica asked, but the redness on Dong Hae's face was more than enough to tell her the anwser to her own question, "So, you're embarressed about being tutor." 

"FIne," Jessica said. Dong Hae looked at her with confusion written on his face.

"Fine, as in, I won't tutor you. If you don't want a person's help and knowledge that can help you suceeed in something then don't force yourself to take their offer." Jessica explained. 

"Thank you sooooo much Soo Yeonie!" Dong Hae said with a huge smile, "I won't ever forget to inform you about another meeting ever again!"

"You're welcone," Jessica said smiling a little bit, "And don't ever call me Sooyeonie ever again."


Jessica and Donghae walked out of the Korean school with each other because they were the only ones left in the building with the exception of the preist and the Korean school principal. Once they walked out, they saw two minivan parked right out of the school. One belonged to her mom and the other one, Jesssica assumed, belonged to Dong Hae's parents. A young women got out of the car and starting walking towards Jessica and Dong Hae. The women was very pretty for a woman her age. The woman looked like she was in her late thirties, but she could be older. 

"Dong Hae," the woman said, "Where were you? You took longer than usual to get out of the building. I was starting to get worried."

"Omma, I was just talking to Soo Yeonie about something. I wasn't lost or anything," Dong Hae tried to explained to mom, embarressed that he was being treated like a baby when he was a "man". The woman looked at Jessica when an invisible light bulb popped out above the woman's head.

"Are you the Soo Yeon that was asked to tutor Dong Hae?" Jessica was about to respond when a voice beat her to it. It was her mom.

"Jessica, what's taking you. You still have work to do and you have your siblings in the car waiting for you." Jessica silently mumbled to herself and was about to leave the conversation when Dong Hae's mom asked her mom a question that would change everything. 

"Are you Jessica's guardian?" Dong Hae's mom asked Jessica's mom.

"Yes, I'm Regina Martin, her mom," Jessica's mom responded. 

"I was just wondering if Jessica would be willing enough to help tutor my son in his classes at Korean school since I've heard that Jessica is one of the school's starring students. Their teacher has told me that Jessica gets fantastic grades and has previously helped another student past their midterms for Korean school."

Jessica's mom had no idea what Jessica did at Korean school because she couldn't relate to any of the stuff. To hear that Jessica helped a students brought happiness to her and for Jessica to be asked to tutor another one of Jessica's classmates please herself in knowing that she's been parenting Jessica the right way. 

"Of course Jessica will do it," Jessica's mom said almost intently. 

"Perfect," Dong Hae's mom said, "If you can give me your email address or if we can possibly meet up somewhere, we can discuss where and when would be great for both parties."

"Is your family free this Sunday? My family is having a welcome barbaque for our new neighbors who will be moving in tommorow. Your family is most certainly welcomed to join us." Jessica's mom said happily and before Jessica or Dong Hae could even say anything, the event was set. Dong Hae's family would be joining Jessica's family on Sunday and Jessica will have to tutor him no matter what. And just when Jessica thought she was home free from any more stress, she thought wrong.