Tip of the Ice Burg

It's Me La

“Jessica, I told you that you were playing your piece too fast when you were practicing. Now looked what happened. Your piano teacher specifically told you that you needed to slow down your playing.”

Jessica stared out the window of the car, trying to zone out her mom’s constant nagging. Her mom was driving Jessica back home from another shameful piano lesson. In Jessica’s opinion, her mom had no right to criticize, especially when her mom probably had no idea how to locate the middle C key on a piano. While Jessica’s other siblings’ piano skills have surpassed hers and make remarkable progress when playing, Jessica has been stuck on the same song for months.

“What happened to you Jessie, you used to be so good at the piano,” her mom exclaimed overdramatically.

There was no use trying to explain to her mother that she was playing faster than usual because there were other people in the practice room she was in, therefore she was very nervous. All Jessica could do was sigh and hope that she can get through the day peacefully and smoothly.

After a good 20 minutes the Martin’s minivan finally reached the driveway of the Martin house. Jessica’s house was nothing close to a mansion, but it was bigger than the average sized house. The house had three floors and 12 rooms. Two of the rooms made up her parents’ office, 4 of the rooms belonged to Jessica and her three other siblings, one of the rooms was the master suite which belonged to her parents, and the rest was either a guest room or study room.

Although Jessica’s room was fairly big, there wasn’t much in it. Her room only had a twin bed, an average size desk, a night stand, a drawer that was filled with her clothes, a closet that held a few formal dresses, and a book shelf filled with her favorite books. There was a lot of empty space. The hard wood floor that spread throughout her entire room was bare, with no decorative rug covering it. The walls were bleak with no pictures of anything hanging on it. This was because Jessica couldn’t worry about the appearance of her room and the main factor to that is because she had no time to do anything but follow her schedule.

As Jessica opened the car door and was about to rush out of the car, the “FOR SALE” sign hanging from a wooden post on her next door neighbor’s lawn caught her attention for a few seconds, but she quickly brushed the thought aside and dashed into the house. She hurriedly ran into her room to drop off her music books and grab a book bag off of her desk chair.

During the trip to her next destination, Jessica continued to look out the window and day dream. This is what Jessica usually did to keep herself occupied because her mother really didn’t like talking while driving. Her mother stated that it ruined her concentration. However, the “FOR SALE” sign that Jessica saw earlier really surprised her and she couldn’t help but feel happy inside. Her current next door neighbors were not bad people, in fact, the parents of the family that lived in the house next door were extremely nice to her and her family when they first moved in. It was the daughter of the family that annoyed her to bits. The thought of that girl moving away and getting new neighbors excited Jessica. Jessica decided to bring the topic of the next door neighbors up during dinner because at the moment she had to complete this one last thing on her schedule before she could even consider going home.

The minivan stopped in front of a church with a sign reading “Welcome to Dong Ju’s Korean Church”. Jessica’s last thing on her schedule was Korean school.