Nightmare

Red Thread

The last two weeks of February passed without much notice. When Taeyang, Daesung and Jessica returned to school, the bullying against Hyukjae and Donghae increased, though they had gotten used to it. People will fill their desks with post-its with phrases such as ‘sinners’, and ‘you’re going to hell’. And their school lockers most of the time got vandalized with the word ‘fags’.

Hyukjae stopped walking with Donghae to school, he woke up earlier and left earlier so he could get on school with enough time to erase the painting from his locker and get rid of everything at their desks. So when Donghae arrived, he only had to deal with the people’s comments and verbal words.

But Donghae had already learned to ignore what people said.

“I don’t think we’re going to hell” Donghae told Hyukjae one day when they were alone in the dance room. “I think is stupid to think that gay people are going to hell just because they are gay”

“It is” Hyukjae agreed.

“You know… I don’t think God will send us to hell, I mean if he had something against gays and all, why would he let us meet in the first place?”

“What do you mean?” Hyukjae asked curious, a small smile on his lips.

“I mean… we’re neighbors, we’re the same age, we have almost identical tastes, I mean… I think like God made us perfect for each other you know? Like… if God didn’t want us to be together why didn’t we were born in different places with no chances of meeting?” Donghae said, looking up at Hyukjae from his position on the floor.

“What, so you’re saying that we’re God’s OTP?” Hyukjae asked amused.

“I think all the happy couples are God’s OTPs like… if you’re not happy with who you are then I means that your soul mate is someone else, but if you’re happy then you’re with the right person you know? I bet like God sees everyone that bullies us for being together and goes like ‘why do you care if they are two boys? They love each other! Can’t you see? They’re happy! Leave them alone for MY sake!’” Donghae changed his tone of voice to one deeper to impersonate God and Hyukjae fell on the floor laughing. Donghae had a huge smile on his face watching and hearing Hyukjae laugh. “What you think?”

“I think” Hyukjae started getting over the laughter “you’re the cutest fish there is” Hyukjae said reaching out and pinching Donghae’s cheek. “And you’re right, people shouldn’t bother us… I mean we’re happy, and what gives them the right to do so anyway?” Hyukjae scoffed a bit mad. “Their loss, I much prefer to go to hell for loving you, than go to heaven with all of them for hating others”

“I love you too” Donghae said smiling, trying to distract Hyukjae so he wouldn’t be angry. Hyukjae turned to glance at Donghae and he smiled fondly at him.

~~

March; however, March became a nightmare.

First couple days of March were ok. The usual bullying and such, but everything else was fine. One day though; the 10th of March to be exact, Youngwoon –Donghae’s dad- was back early. And as he was walking to his house a neighbor stopped him to have a little chat.

“Hey, Youngwoon, how’s everything with Donghae huh?” the neighbor asked leaning against the wooden fence separating the houses.

“What you mean?” Youngwoon asked a little irritated.

“Oh you know…” the neighbor smirked “being gay for his best friend and all.”

“… what?” Youngwoon asked getting more irritated and confused.

“Oh you didn’t know? Donghae and uh Hyukjae are dating. My son told me, and it’s pretty obvious by the way the hold hands” the neighbor said smirking.

Youngwoon stormed off to his house.

~~

That day Donghae and Hyukjae were coming back from school, hand in hand, like usual. They were talking and smiling to each other, oblivious of the fact that Youngwoon was looking at them through his window. He got out; though, when he saw Hyukjae lean a bit and kiss Donghae’s cheek.

“HEY! Get away from my son!” Youngwoon yelled storming towards them.

“Dad?!” Donghae’s eyes widened in fear and he turned around to try blocking Hyukjae from his father.

“Get in the house!” Youngwoon pulled Donghae and threw him towards the direction of the house. Donghae landed on the ground wincing a little in pain as his back hit the grass. “And you get away from him”

“Sir-” Hyukjae wasn’t able to finish before a fist connected with his eye, effectively throwing him to the ground.

“DAD!” Donghae’s voice was covered in shock and fear as he could only see his boyfriend covering his eye and wincing in pain. His father grabbed his arm strongly and dragged him inside the house, Donghae tried to break free but it was useless.

Youngwoon throw his son against a wall, Donghae winced in pain as his back hit the hard concrete, while he closed and locked the front door.

“D-dad wh-wha-” Donghae’s frightened voice stuttered but he couldn’t continue since his father punched his left cheek, Donghae covered it with his hand and he turned slightly to glance at his father; tears filling his eyes.

“SO YOU ARE A ?!” Youngwoon yelled at Donghae as he once again charged against him, but Donghae quickly dodge it and ran away from the wall and tried climbing up the stairs but his father grabbed him and pulled his shirt, throwing him to the floor.

“Dad please” Donghae let a few of his tears run free, he was used to be called but he really couldn’t take it when it was his dad insulting him.

Youngwoon kept throwing insults at his son while hitting him, Donghae was only able to curl up in a ball and hid his head between his knees and arms to protect himself as best as he could.

“LEAVE HIM” Donghae looked up in shock when he heard Hyukjae’s voice. Hyukjae grabbed Youngwoon from the back and throw him to the floor. He then quickly grabbed Donghae’s arm and pulled him up. Before any of them could move Youngwoon stood up, ran and tackled Hyukjae to the floor.

“HYUKJAE!” Donghae screamed terrified, he looked around and found an empty glass bottle, he reached out for it, grabbed it and hit the back of his dad head with it, breaking the bottle. His dad fell unconscious and Donghae helped Hyukjae getting out from below him. “Are you okay?” Donghae asked concerned. Hyukjae nodded and grabbed Donghae’s arm, pulling him away.

They left Donghae’s house and run towards Hyukjae’s. Hyukjae’s mom rushed them inside and locked the door after them. She informed them that she had called the police and they were on their way. Hyukjae nodded and thanked her, and then he explained to her everything that had happened in Donghae’s house. She nodded and told them to go to Hyukjae’s room, grab Haru, and lock themselves there.

Hyukjae nodded, he grabbed Donghae’s hand and pulled him upstairs towards his room. He told Donghae he would be back, Hyukjae returned a few minutes later with Haru at his side and a first aid kit.

Donghae was sitting down on his bed, Hyukjae rushed to his side with the first aid kit in his hand. Donghae had some bruises on his face and his arms. His bottom lip bleed, his cheek was bruised, his arms, legs and back hurt, and his eyes stung with tears that he let run free. He was shaken and all he needed right now was a hug but Hyukjae was more busy attending to his wounds.

When Hyukjae was done with the bruises at his face Donghae didn’t care anymore and he threw himself at Hyukjae. Embracing the other’s back tightly, though he let go a bit when Hyukjae hissed in pain. Hyukjae hugged him back carefully, Donghae’s hair softly murmuring comforting words at his ear. Donghae cried at Hyukjae’s chest, he let everything he’d been keeping in free.

A few minutes later there was a knock on Hyukjae’s door.

“I need to get it” Hyukjae said in a small voice, separating from Donghae a bit but running his hand over the younger’s back. Donghae nodded, wiping away his tears with his fingers. Hyukjae opened the door to meet with his dad. They talked a little bit before Hyukjae turned to Donghae. He walked up to him and sat again on the bed next to him.

“Hey Hae…” Hyukjae started his voice soft “umm, the police arrived… they want to know well… everything that happened and… your story” Hyukjae said carefully. His eyes never left Donghae, who was looking at the floor trying to control his sobs.

“ok”  he said voice barely a whisper. Donghae stood up and intertwined his fingers with Hyukjae, making him stand up too.

“Hey guys, I’ll go with you to the police station ok?” Tablo said trying to sound encouraging, he looked at Donghae sympathetically. Donghae only nodded, his gaze was at the floor, and he kindly asked Hyukjae for some tissues to clean up; apologizing as he saw Hyukjae’s shirt all wet and dirt from his crying.

“it’s okay” Hyukjae said softly helping Donghae clean his face.

The three rode to the police station where Donghae was asked to enter one room. Donghae clung to Hyukjae and requested for him to come with him, the officer accepted and so Donghae and Hyukjae entered an office with a blonde female officer.

“Hello kids, my name is Chaerin” the officer introduced herself smiling slightly. She had a long ponytail, feline-like features, she wore dark eyeliner, black pants, a light blue shirt, and black shoes. She sat down on top of the desk in front of Hyukjae and Donghae, her voice was calm and reassuring. “You need water sweetheart?” she asked Donghae. He nodded and she handed him a bottle. “Now… what’s your name?” she asked politely.

“D-Donghae h-he is Hyukjae” Donghae stuttered nervously, pointing at Hyukjae.

“Ok Donghae, could you tell me how your relationship with your dad is?” she asked curious.

“My dad… is abusive, an alcoholic, and he is depressed. He has been like that since… since my mom left us about 5 years ago” Donghae explained looking down at the desk. Hyukjae placed a hand on Donghae’s knee and squeeze it lightly to support Donghae. Donghae looked up at him and smile just barely.

“Ok… could you tell me what has happened in those five years? How has your father treated you?” Chaerin asked calmly.

Donghae explained every single attack he had received from his dad, all the bruises he had, the abusive words, the lack of concern and love; everything he had gone through, his depression, his suicide attempt. Everything.

No one but Hyukjae knew his story. No one but Hyukjae had been there for him. And now there he was telling a police officer everything he had withstood for 5 years now. He had to explained too what had happened this night, he said every detail he could, almost to the point of perfect recreation. Several times Donghae had to stop and take a gulp of water, his eyes were dry from tears, and he couldn’t ever look up from the desk. When he was done he let out a long sigh.

Chaerin excused herself and she exited the room. While Donghae was talking she had taken notes and recorded the conversation. She came back half an hour later.

“Ok Donghae, your father was arrested for abusing you, if the case proceeds your father can get at least 3 years in prison… do you want it to proceed?” Chaerin asked seriously, leaning against the desk and staring at Donghae.

Donghae looked up at her and then at Hyukjae and finally his gaze landed on the floor.

Hyukjae squeezed his shoulder tightly, and Donghae looked up to him again. Al his focus went to Hyukjae’s bruised eye, and that’s when Donghae remembered that Hyukjae had being tackled to the floor and that his father was ready to attack him until Donghae put an end to that war.

And then Donghae’s fingers went over to caress his wrist band and he remembered what it hid.

He finally looked up at Chaerin and nodded.

“I want it to proceed” he said determinedly.

“Do you have anyone you can stay with for a while?” Chaerin asked concerned.

“umm” Donghae looked at Hyukjae desperately.

“Yes he does” Hyukjae was the one who answered.

“Good” Chaerin said before leaving the room again.

Half an hour later they were free to go. It was midnight when they arrived home, Tablo bid goodnight to the boys and disappeared inside his room. Hyukjae and Donghae both entered Hyukjae’s room. While Donghae borrowed some pajamas and went in to change, Hyukjae locked the window –just in case- and changed himself.

Donghae came back and they both sat down on the bed.

“Go ahead” Donghae said softly motioning towards the bed.

“I’m not gonna sleep if you won’t” Hyukjae said stubbornly, resting his head on Donghae’s shoulder.

“You’ve already done a lot for me, go to sleep Hyukjae” Donghae answered trying to get Hyukjae off of him.

“I dun wanna~~” Hyukjae said childishly, he leant closer and placed a soft kiss on Donghae’s neck, making the other shrink from the tickles. Hyukjae kept tickling Donghae, making the later fall on the bed with Hyukjae on top of him pressing just the right points to make Donghae laugh.

“Yo-u-You a-re gonna w-ake y-your p-HA-parents” Donghae tried to reason with Hyukjae.

“They are probably awake either way” Hyukjae said still tickling Donghae, who tried not so successfully to suppress his laugh.

When Donghae wasn’t able to breathe anymore Hyukjae stopped to let the other catch his breath.

“I…” Donghae started still breathlessly “I admire the way… you make me laugh… after everything” he said looking up at Hyukjae, his view was transfixed on Hyukjae’s. “Thank you”

Hyukjae lay on the bed, his head over Donghae’s tummy, not breaking eye contact with the other at any moment.

“I don’t like seeing you sad. It’s the most heartbreaking sight ever. So you can be sure, that I’ll do whatever it takes to make you smile Donghae, even if it’s tickling you” Hyukjae said reaching out and brushing his fingers against Donghae’s neck. Donghae swatted Hyukjae’s hand away from him, Hyukjae laugh a little.

They spend the rest of the night talking, with Hyukjae trying his best to make Donghae laugh. Though both were tired neither of them wanted to sleep, Donghae feared nightmares, Hyukjae feared for Donghae.

“I don’t think we should go to school…” Hyukjae said when he saw the sun rising.

“Because we haven’t rested?” Donghae asked sarcastically.

“I meant… for the rest of the week, or well for a few days actually” Hyukjae answered, again leaning his head on Donghae’s shoulder, they were both sitting on the floor against the mattress.

“Why?” Donghae asked curious.

“Because… Hae you are a bit… fragile right now… with everything that’s going on with your dad… You are really strong but people at school, they are really stupid, I don’t want you to deal with all the insults and bullying… I know you can take it under normal circumstances but right now-”

“Yeah… I get it, it’s ok” Donghae said reassuringly “I think you’re right, a few days off will be fine” Donghae said calmly, nodding. Hyukjae brought an arm over Donghae’s shoulders and pulled him close to kiss the top of his head.

After a few minutes they both went down to get breakfast. Both Hyukjae’s parents where at the kitchen Tablo was playing with Haru at a counter table while Hyejung cooked and prepared coffee.

Hyukjae and Donghae greeted them, and offered to help setting the table for breakfast. They all sat down on the table, a comfortable silence reigning over them while they enjoyed breakfast.

“Did you guys slept at all?” Hyejung asked after a while. Hyukjae shook his head. “Donghae… Tablo told me that your father case will proceed?”

Donghae let his chopsticks aside and looked down at his unfinished plate “yes… if it does, he’ll get minimum 3 years in prison”

Hyejung and Tablo exchanged looks and then Hyejung turned to Donghae.

“Donghae, do you have any legal tutor?” she asked sweetly.

“My grandpa… but he lives in Mokpo” Donghae answered looking up at Hyejung. “I guess… if the case proceeds I… I will have to move there”

“I…” Hyejung started nervously, she looked once again at Tablo and then back at Donghae “Tablo and I, we talked about this and… we would like you to stay here… well only if you want” Hyejung smiled sweetly at Donghae. Donghae’s eyes widened and his mouth hung open.

“Seriously?” Hyukjae asked with an equal expression though he had a big smile on his face.

“Yeah, it wouldn’t be too different since Donghae practically lives here” Tablo said smiling brightly.

“We’ll just have to talk with your grandpa” Hyejung said reassuringly.

“Thanks” Donghae felt tears forming, he felt so grateful to have a family that supported him. He let out a gasp of happiness when Haru jumped walked up to him and handed him a drawing she had made. In the drawing there were Tablo, Hyejung, Hyukjae, him –in the center- and Haru and it had written ‘Family’.

Donghae hid his face in his hands as he cried from happiness. Hyukjae rubbed his back comfortingly, smiling lovingly at Donghae.

“Well, we have to get ready for work, I take it you are not going to school?” Hyejung asked Hyukjae as she stood up from the table. Hyukjae nodded at her, and she nodded back understandingly.

Throughout all the day, Donghae and Hyukjae did many different things like playing videogames, going to the park, helping around the house, played with Haru; anything that would keep them busy. Donghae didn’t want to have a single spare moment; he needed his head focused on anything to not think about his father.

By the end of the day they were both exhausted. They haven’t slept for more than 30 hours, so the moment they both hit the bed-Donghae had asked Hyukjae to slept with him, Hyukjae would always hug Donghae to sleep whenever the other needed it- they immediately fell asleep.

They slept until it was about 5pm of the next day, and once they were up they; again, did everything they could to keep busy. They didn’t sleep that night, instead slept all morning of Friday.

On Friday afternoon while they were watching a movie on the living room a knock on the front door was heard.

“I’ll get it” Hyukjae said standing up from the couch and walking to the door. He look from the crystal on the door and saw the whole dance team outside, he raised an eyebrow in question and then he finally opened the door. “Hey guys, what cha doing here?”

“Hey yourself, we were worried” Hyoyeon answered a bit mad but more concerned than anything “Is everything ok?”

Hyukjae sighed, and he went outside the house, closing the door a bit, just leaving it barely open.

“Donghae… he had problems with his dad, he found out about us and… he didn’t take it well” Hyukjae answered looking at the floor. “I can’t really talk about it I mean… it’s Donghae’s story”

“We just want to know if he’s ok” Hyoyeon answered honestly, crossing her arms under her chest. Hyukjae glanced quickly at his house, and nodded, letting them all in.

“Hey Hae” Donghae turned around on the sofa to look at Hyukjae, though he widened his eyes and raised his eyebrows in surprise seeing the whole dance team after him. “they… want to know if you are ok” Hyukjae sat over the edge of the sofa, looking down at Donghae as if saying ‘tell them’.

Donghae sighed and nodded. Hyukjae and him moved the sofa and the coffee table to make room for the members to sit on the floor, all sat down on a circle, all eyes were on Donghae.

“I… my story is not easy to tell… I don’t like talking about it and just a few days ago only Hyukjae knew it all. You guys had done nothing but support us even when… when the bullies got you too” Donghae started looking down; he was fidgeting with his fingers, trying to restrain the tears from forming. He felt all the looks on him and it made him uneasy, talking about his life had never been easy. Hyukjae placed a hand over his shoulders, encouraging him to continue. “So I guess… it’s ok if you guys know my story too”

At least he had Hyukjae at his side.

 “My mom left me and my dad 5 years ago, I don’t why or where she is, she has never called, never said where she was going, nothing. One day she was there and the other she was gone, just like that. When my mom left us my dad… he became unstable. He was depressed, he drank a lot, and he would insult me and attack me sometimes… I was pretty scared of him. I’ve got bruises from his attacks, and the bruises I’ve got now are because of him.” Donghae made a short pause so that everybody could digest what they heard, he asked Hyukjae for a glass of water and the later quickly brought it for him. He take a gulp of water before continuing.

 “A few months later after my mom left and my dad well got depressed I was pretty messed up. I had no parental guidance whatsoever and I would ask myself a lot ‘why my mom would just left me?’ and at that time… I dealt with some bullies too. You see I was this depressed messed-up guy and an easy target for bullying. So after a ty day at school, and a bad episode with my dad I locked myself in the bathroom… and I cut my wrist. Three times. That’s why I always wear a wristband… to cover the scars.” Donghae trailed his fingers to the wristband. By now a few tears had rolled free, though he was pretty much calm. Everybody gasped in shock at the news.

Hyukjae placed a hand over the wristband and Donghae looked up to him. Hyukjae smiled softly at him, and somehow it made Donghae feel better.

Taking another gulp of water Donghae continued.

 “I don’t like my scars; that’s why I cover them. This wristband; and the wristband I had before, Hyukjae gave them to me specifically for that, he is the only reason I’m still here. When I was on the bathroom I heard pounding on the door and Hyukjae asked me to come out. I let him in instead and when he saw the cuts… he just cleaned them up for me and bandaged them. At that time I wasn’t eating well either, one day I collapsed from starving, and since then Hyukjae made sure I ate well. He’s always been there for me.” Donghae’s eyes never left Hyukjae’s as he spoke.

“And always will” Hyukjae added with a big smile.

Everybody went awwwww and Hyukjae and Donghae both looked down embarrassed.

“Shut up, I want to know what’s next” Hyoyeon said playfully.

 Donghae cleared his throat and took another gulp of water “So long story short, after years of my dad abusing me and stuff, this Tuesday he… he found out I was dating Hyukaje and he got pretty… mad. He punched Hyukjae, he hit me several times, I had to knock him unconscious with a glass bottle and the police came and took him. After talking to the police they told me that if the case proceeds my dad could get at least 3 years in prison. And so he will, I have to meet up with the judge next week and see how much time he’ll actually get.” Donghae finished sighing.

“Where will you stay?” Jongin asked curious.

“Here, Hyukjae’s parents already talked to my grandpa –my legal tutor- and he said that it was fine for him, if I want to stay here I can, so I will” Donghae answered happily.

“Can I hug you?” Jia asked sympathetically.

“Uh… sure?” Donghae answered doubtful. The whole team got up and walked to him, embracing him in a big hug group.

“You’re not alone Donghae, we are not going to leave you” Hyoyeon said sweetly, everybody agreed to that voicing their own statement about never leaving him.

Donghae felt a comfortable warm grow inside him and he smiled naturally at their words.

“Thank you”

~~


But I always write angst no matter what, that's what I do best

I'm sorry... I didn't want to make Donghae suffer like this
I felt like a horrible person writting this u----u

(at least I gave him a good, hot boyfriend?)