Valentine's

Red Thread

“Man the only good thing about Mondays is P.E.” Hyukjae told Donghae while they were both stretching.

“Why is that?” Donghae asked a bit curious.

“A good work out is always good” Hyukjae said blinking. Donghae shook his head smiling.

“Even though we have dance practice right after this?” Donghae asked.

“Yep” Hyukjae answered smiling.

A pained scream was heard from all across the room and Donghae and Hyukjae looked up in surprise at the direction of it.

“Jessica’s bleeding!” Taeyeon –Jessica’s best friend- yelled panicked.

“What happened?” teacher Hodong asked.

“I-I hit her with the ball! It was an accident!” Taeyeon yelled nervous and panicked.

“It’s ok Taeyeon, let me see Jess” teacher said examining Jessica’s bleeding nose.

“Can I take her to the infirmary!?” Taeyeon asked desperate.

“Yeah sure, go” the teacher said nodding.

“thanks” Taeyeon said smiling slightly as they both left the classroom.

“Poor Jess” Donghae muttered worriedly.

“I bet she can pay another plastic surgery” Hyukjae said amused. Donghae sent him a death glare.

“Not funny Hyuk, she might really need one” Donghae said serious.

“It was a plastic ball, she’ll be alright” Hyukjae said shrugging it off. Donghae rolled his eyes and shook his head at him.

~~

“So why are we stealing it again?” Taeyeon asked Jessica quietly as the two of them were on the floor next to Donghae’s backpack. Donghae’s precious black notebook on Jessica’s hand.

“We are not stealing it, we are borrowing it; and we are borrowing it because I’m sure Donghae likes someone, and if that someone isn’t me I need to know who she is and why and I’m pretty sure he wrote who he likes here” Jessica explained.

“I still think you’re exaggerating over getting dumped” Taeyeon deadpanned. Jessica gave her a death glare before opening Donghae’s notebook and reading through the pages.

“Oh my God” Jessica said after reading through a few pages.

“What is it?” Taeyeon asked curiously.

“Is not a ‘she’” Jessica said surprised “Donghae likes a guy, and guess what?”

“What?” Taeyeon asked wide eyed.

“It’s not any guy… Donghae likes Hyukjae” Jessica said shocked.

“As in… like like? Like as… romantically like?” Taeyeon asked shocked. Jessica nodded a couple of times still a bit stunned.

“Ok, as far as I want to keep discussing this, we gotta get out of here” Taeyeon said standing up. Jessica followed her. “Aren’t you returning the notebook?” Taeyeon asked nervously.

“Not now, I want to keep reading it” Jessica said heading out of the classroom, Taeyeon following her in toe.

“You know… you should probably clean the fake blood of your face” Taeyeon said as they passed the girl’s bathroom.

“Oh yeah, forgot that” Jessica said nonchalantly entering the washroom. “Told you it’ll work” she said with a proud smile as she washed her face.

“I still think you’re overreacting” Taeyeon said blithe.

“We just found out that Lee Donghae one of the school cutest guys is gay and you still think I’m overreacting?” Jessica asked surprised.

“Well yeah Jess; you stole a notebook just to see who he likes” Taeyeon said matter-of-factly.

“Whatever” Jess answered grabbing a towel to dry her face.

They went outside to the school’s courtyard to continue reading Donghae’s notebook, while the rest of the class still was on P.E. .

“What are you doing?” Jessica and Taeyeon jumped in surprise at the sound of a male voice behind them. They turned around to find two guys standing behind them looking at them quizzically.

“You scared us Taeyang! Aren’t you supposed to be in class?” Jessica asked glaring at Taeyang.

“I could ask the same thing” he answered calmly.

“What are you doing though?” the guy next to Taeyang asked.

“Reading this” Jessica answered calmly, showing off the notebook.

In a movement Taeyang snatched the notebook from Jessica’s hand and read through some pages.

“Donghae is gay?! Ohhh this is gold” Taeyang said smirking.

“Give it back” Jessica said glaring at Taeyang.

“Wait… I have an idea” Daesung –Taeyang’s friend- said smirking.

~~

“You must have forgotten it back home Hae” Hyukjae tried to reason with Donghae.

“No Hyukjae, I swear I had it here” Donghae answered desperately, he was kneeling down on the floor taking books out of his backpack searching for his notebook.

“Donghae is the third time that you empty your backpack, is not there” Hyukjae said tiredly trying to stop Donghae from searching “Look, maybe you put it in your locker”

“No, I’m sure I had it on my backpack” Donghae said nearly on the verge of tears.

“Hae it’s getting late, we need to go get going, I’m sure it’ll appear” Hyukjae knelt down besides Donghae and placed a hand on the other’s back trying to comfort him.

“Guess you’re right” Donghae said sadly. They got up from the floor, took their backpacks, and left the classroom.

“Do you think somebody took it?” Donghae asked Hyukjae once in the hallway.

“It could be but who would want to take it? Besides when could they have taken it?” Hyukjae asked doubtful.

“I don’t know Hyukjae, but things just don’t disappear like that” Donghae said mad. Hyukjae wanted to retort but he really didn’t know how to deal with a mad Donghae so he preferred not pushing it further. Instead they walk along the hallway in silence.

They turned around to the school’s main hall were the bulletin board was located only to found a crowd of students making an uproar. Donghae and Hyukjae turned at each other confused, and then they turned again at the crowd.

“Hyukjae! Donghae! I’ve been looking for you” Hyoyeon suddenly appeared next to them doubling over her knees tiredly. She took a few breaths until she finally stood up straight again.

“What is it Hyo?” Hyukjae asked curious.

“You need to come, see what is in the bulletin board” she said sympathetically.

The three of them walked towards the bulletin board, walking among the crowd that strangely let them through, though receiving several calls and whistles. Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other estranged until the three reached the front of the crowd and faced the bulletin board.

There were several white pages with handwritten stuff on them- though printed- on the board, each with a different text. Reading through some Donghae’s eyes began to widen and his mouth hanged open. He felt the beats of his heart much stronger, his breath began to uneven going faster, and his whole body began shaking.

“Hey Donghae!” he heard a male voice calling at his left and he turned to see Daesung and Taeyang standing next to Jessica with sinister smiles, Taeyang holding Donghae’s notebook in his hand.

Donghae let out a muted cry upon seeing his precious notebook at other’s hands, his mind was a mess upon seeing that somebody now knew his biggest, most painful secret; let alone that realizing that the whole school knew his biggest secret. Including…

“I gotta admit I never thought that you swing the other side… and that your favorite player was a certain Lee Hyukjae” Daesung added mocking Donghae, earning laughs from almost all of students.

Donghae’s eyes start getting watery and he was having a hard time trying to keep himself together, his breath was now fast pants, and his heart seemed like it was about to jump out of his ribcage.

“Hae?” Hyukjae called him, concern filling his voice. Donghae felt a hand being placed on his shoulders and he turned to lock eyes with Hyukjae, his terrified gaze meeting the other’s preoccupied look.

He couldn’t bear with it. He was sure Hyukjae must feel repulsed by him now. Hyukjae wouldn’t want to stay with someone like him. Hyukjae was about to leave him. And it wasn’t the mocking voices of the crowd or the hurtful words being thrown at him by his classmates that made Donghae snapped. It was Hyukjae, standing in front of him with a hand on his shoulder and the thought of him leaving him that made Donghae let his backpack fall to the floor.

And after trying and failing to find his voice Donghae slapped the hand at his shoulder away and ran through the crowd, pushing people away from him so he could pass.

The next few seconds were like in slow motion for Donghae as he just tried to escape from Hyukjae, from the crowd, from reality… he could hear Hyukjae calling from him and it just made him speed up. He got out of the crowd and then he just ran as fast as he could through the hallways, wiping the tears that were now running free from his eyes. He found the school’s main doors and just threw them open running away.

Hyukjae let out a heavy breath watching his best friend get lost between the crowd until he was sure Donghae wasn’t there anymore. He then turned around glaring at Taeyang and Daesung who were laughing happily, his fingers curled into fists and then he stomped towards them.

SMACK!

Taeyang fell to the floor covering his right eye. Everybody fell silence and just stared at the man in the floor shocked. Taeyang was a well known bully and nobody dared to mess with him or Daesung. And now Taeyang was on the floor, Hyukjae holding his right fist up.

“Hear me: Nobody. Messes. With. Donghae” Hyukjae said between clenched teeth glaring down at Taeyang.

“You son of a-” Daesung said before launching himself against Hyukjae, the latter dodge the attack and instead kick Daesung at the sides. He twisted in pain and Hyukjae took advantage of that to kick him in the balls. Daesung fell to the floor unceremoniously; covering his privates,  Taeyang got up from the floor and made Hyukjae turn around instantly punching his left eye.

“An eye for an eye, huh?” Taeyang said

Everyone started chanting FIGHT! At the two of them. Taeyang launched against Hyukjae, fist high up, Hyukjae took off his back pack and used it to hit Taeyang across the face. Then he threw it to the floor and took Taeyang by his shirt and pushed him against the lockers.

“I did you a favor, you should be thankful” Tayeang said despicably. Hyukjae snorted.

“You hurt my best friend, you want me to be thankful for that?” he asked angered.

“What is going on here?” a teacher’s voice was heard outside the crowd.

Hyukjae and Taeyang looked at the direction of the voice before looking at each other again. Hyukjae shoved for a last time Taeyang against the lockers before letting him go.

“This isn’t over ” Taeyang said pointing at Hyukjae. Hyukjae glared at him before picking his and Donghae’s backpacks.

“Here” Hyoyeon said handing Hyukjae Donghae’s notebook. Hyukjae looked up at her to see that her face was a mess and she had scratches in her face.

“What happened to you?” Hyukjae asked hurriedly as he took the notebook.

“Fought over with Jess to take it, no big deal, she is worse than me” Hyoyeon said with a smile and a wink.

“I need to go find Donghae” Hyukjae said seriously glancing quickly at the teacher that was every time closer.

“Go, the dance team will take down the posts on the board, I’ll talk to the teacher” Hyoyeon said reassuringly.

“Thank you” Hyukjae said with a small smile before running off.

“HEY! Lee Hyukjae! Come back this instant!” the teacher yelled at Hyukjae. “For the record, you’re suspended and I’m calling your parents!” he added in hopes that Hyukjae would stop, but he only waved him goodbye.

“Sorry Mrs. But he needs to find Donghae… I can explain everything that happened” Hyoyeon said with a little smile to the furious teacher.

~~

Hyukjae ran as fast as he legs would let him frenetically looking for Donghae. He searched everywhere he could, from their usual road from their school to their houses. He feared that Donghae would have locked himself up in his room.

He searched their park in hopes that Donghae would have decided to hide there, but nothing. Having no other choice Hyukjae ran towards his house, he was sure Donghae must be in his room… and if he had locked his window it would be really hard trying to get him to unlock it.

He threw his backpacks on the grass in front of his house and walked quickly to his tree. He could hear someone crying and he thanked God that Donghae was out in the tree instead of in his room. He climbed the tree and looked at Donghae who was sitting against a branch, his knees were against his chest and his face was covered by his hands.

“Fishy” Hyukjae said out of breath, trying to get the younger’s attention.

“H-H-Hy-uk l-look I-I kn-ow th-at t-this is y-your t-t-tree b-but ple-ase just l-ea-ve me a-a-lone” Donghae stammered between sobs, revealing his face from his hands.

“Fishy… wait, let me just…. regain my breath” Hyukjae said between pants. He took a few seconds to even his breathing until it was stable enough for him to talk. Donghae stared at him all the while trying to control his crying. “Hae I… I’m sorry, I mean I should have knew that you wouldn’t… I mean… agh” Hyukjae closed his eyes and brought his hands near his head, he tried to arrange the thoughts in his head to be able to express them- failing miserably.

“Hyuk” Donghae said softly.

“No wait! What I’m trying to say is that…” Hyukjae breathe in deeply before continuing “… that I like you too… no, I… I love you too Hae… in the sense of… I’m in love with you” Hyukjae said his voice barely over a whisper, Donghae was just able to listen to it.

There was a long silence in which the two boys only stared at each other, not moving at all.

“Are you just saying that to make me feel better?” Donghae asked in disbelief.

“What? NO!-” Hyukjae started but was interrupted by Donghae.

“Why would you even like me?” Donghae asked looking down at his knees.

“Hae-”

“What is there to even like about me?” Donghae asked, tears coming once again to his eyes.

“Lee Donghae!” Hyukjae called him in an angry voice and Donghae looked up at him immediately. “Don’t you ever talk about you like that again, you heard me? There are plenty of reasons to like you Hae, and I mean it. You can ask my sister if you want-”

“Haru? Why asking her?” Donghae asked tilting his head to his right, eyebrows knitted together in a frown.

“Well… you wrote how you felt in your notebook… I told Haru” Hyukjae said bringing a hand to the back of his head blushing slightly.

“How did you make her not tell me anything?” Donghae asked surprised.

“Oh she did, lots of times” Hyukjae nodded his head while he replied.

Donghae looked up at the tree’s leaves trying to remember.

“All the times she told me you liked me?” Donghae asked; Hyukjae nodded “I thought she meant it in a friendly way…”

“And I was glad for that” Hyukjae said smiling.

“Hyukjae?” Donghae called receiving an ‘hmm’ sound from the other “Do you… I mean are you… really in love with me?” Donghae asked in a small voice. Hyukjae nodded. “Hyukjae?”

“Yes?”

“What happen to you?” Donghae asked in concern just noticing Hyukjae’s bruises.

“Oh! I… had a fight with Taeyang… and Daesung” Hyukjae said looking anywhere but Donghae.

“Why?” Donghae asked surprised.

“… I got this back by the way” Hyukjae answered taking Donghae’s notebook out of his jacket’s pocket. “Didn’t read it, thought I would respect your privacy” he handed Donghae his notebook and received a little ‘thanks’ from him. “We should probably go inside, before we freeze here” Hyukjae moving to jump down from the tree. Donghae followed, they picked up their backpacks, and walked towards Hyukjae’s house, entering it.

“Lee Albarus Hyukjae!” Hyukjae’s mom- Hyejung- called him in an angry tone, standing near the staircase in front of the main door. Hyukjae stopped right away, confused.

“Mom I’m not named ‘Albarus’…” he answered still confused.

“I know, it sounded more dramatic” she answered smiling for a second before returning to her angry expression, her smile faded into a thin line, her eyes were now glaring at her son. “Care to explain to me why did you get suspended?”

“You got suspended?” Donghae asked surprised. Hyukjae looked between his om and Donghae a few times before facing his mother completely.

“Ok umm… I got suspended because these guys at school stole Donghae’s diary-” Hyukjae started, looking at the floor.

“Notebook” Donghae corrected quickly.

“-Notebook and photocopied it and then posted them on the bulletin board of the school. So, I got in a fight with them to recover the notebook and defend my boyfriend” Hyukjae ended nodding. Donghae widen his eyes and stared at Hyukjae in shock.

“Wait… repeat the last part” Hyejung said doubtful.

“So, I got-” Hyukjae started.

“No, no, no, fast forward” Hyejung said.

“Oh… I found out Donghae likes me back” Hyukjae said blushing, looking at the floor. Donghae too advert his gaze towards the floor, blushing.

“Oh… well congratulations to you too, now Hyukjae let’s go to your school to clear this up. Donghae darling, could you stay here and take care of Haru, please?” Hyejung asked sweetly to which Donghae nodded.

~~

Hyukjae was sitting down next to Hyoyeon outside the principal’s office were the parents from Jessica, Taeyang, Daesung, Hyukjae and Hyoyeon were all discussing their suspensions.

Hyoyeon was glaring down at Jessica who was sitting with Taeyang and Daesung at the other side of the room.

“So, did you find Donghae?” she asked Hyukjae.

“Yeah” Hyukjae answered briefly, he was –too- glaring at both Taeyang and Daesung.

“And?” Hyoyeon asked curious.

“We’re together” Hyukjae answered nonchalantly. Hyoyeon looked at him surprised. Then she hit him in the shoulder, hard.

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Hyoyeon answered mad and excited.

“Ouch… I don’t know, I just… well you’re his friend too and-” Hyukjae answered looking at the floor.

“And? I know how to keep a secret Hyukjae” Hyoyeon answered pouting.

“I’m sorry” Hyukjae said with a little smile.

“Idiot, anyway, that’s awesome, congratulations” Hyoyeon said happily. “Now we can go out in double dates”

“That would be hell awkward and you know that” Hyukjae answered smiling.

“You’re right… let’s forget the double dates. But… you know school is going to turn into hell now, right? I mean you’re going to be the only open gay couple there is… people is going to start pointing fingers, talking behind your backs, insulting you and what not” Hyoyeon said concerned.

“I’m aware, but you know… I’ve been in love with him for so long, none of that matters to me, as long as I can be with him” Hyukjae said with a confident smile.

“aww” Hyoyeon hugged Hyukjae strongly. “Don’t worry Hyuk, you’ll have me, and I’m sure the other’s won’t leave you either and will support both of you, too” Hyoyeon said encouragingly.

“Thanks Hyo, now let go, people are staring” Hyukjae teased, to which Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out.

~~

“How many days did you get suspended?” Donghae asked Hyukjae once he and his mom were back.

“2, same as Hyo; Taeyang, Daesung, and she-who-shall-not-be-named got a week” Hyukjae said proudly. Donghae smiled too, though shaking his head at Hyukjae.

“And what are we doing those two days?” Donghae asked curiously.

“You didn’t get suspended Hae” Hyukjae said confused.

“Don’t even think I’m going to school without you… I know what people will do… I… I can’t face them without you” Donghae said looking down at the floor. Hyukjae looked at him tenderly, and he placed a hand over his shoulder encouragingly. Donghae looked up at him with a small smile.

“So, anyway, I was talking with Haru and she confessed that she has two ken dolls, that happens to have the names of ‘Hyuk’ and ‘Hae’. She said you named them that” Donghae said with a proud smirk watching Hyukjae’s face change to red.

“sh-she said that? What a great imagination this kid has” Hyukjae answered, his right hand scratching the back of his head.

“She also told me they had a wedding” Donghae said with a big grin.

“Ok that’s it where is she?” Hyukjae asked looking for his little sister. “Haru!” Hyukjae called entering the living room. The little three years old kid jumped out of the sofa and walked towards Hyukjae. Hyukjae grabbed the kid, carrying her, and he brought her up to the height of his face. “I told you not to tell Donghae about the dolls, didn’t I?” Hyukjae asked the kid, in a serious tone but with a smile in his face. The kid shook her head smiling.

Donghae smiled fondly as he watched Hyukjae tickle his little sister saying stuff like ‘don’t lie’. Then Hyukjae was called to set up the table for dinner and Donghae took Haru to wash her hands.

Once everybody was ready and Tablo –Hyukjae’s dad- arrived they all sat down to dinner, Donghae next to Hyukjae.

“Hyukjae, dear, why don’t you tell your father the news? But please gently.” Hyejung said sternly, looking at Hyukjae accusatory.

“Oh yeah, I got suspended for two day for fighting” Hyukjae said nonchalantly, looking down at his plate.

“What?!” Tablo asked surprised, looking up at his son wide eyed.

“I meant the other news” Hyejung said with a sigh.

“Oh, I’m dating Donghae” Hyukjae said equally as before. Donghae glared at him, while his father choke on absolutely nothing, her sister laughed while clapping her hands, and his mother sighed.

“I said gently Hyukjae” Hyejung said muttering ‘these kids’.

Hyukjae shrugged his shoulders while Donghae shook his head.

“Congratulations?” Tablo said once he had his breath back.

~~

When Donghae and Hyukjae returned to school two days later, everybody received them with weird looks. Some students glared at them, others whispered among themselves, others looked at them expectantly. Rumors had spread among the whole school wether the two were dating or not.

Rumors that were confirmed when Hyukjae bravely interwined his fingers with Donghae’s –Donghae’s remaining straight up-, putting a bit of pressure to Donghae’s hand. Donghae looked quickly towards their hands and then up at Hyukjae meeting his eyes. His eyes seemed reassuring despite looking a bit scared, and Hyukjae smiled lightly at Donghae. Donghae took a deep breath and folded his fingers too, and smiling lightly.

A series of gasps were given when the couple, hand in hand, walked towards their lockers. Both tried really hard to ignore the stares, the whispering words, and the sounds of both disgust and surprise coming from others students. They gathered their stuff and walked to their classroom still hand in hand, but before they could enter Hyoyeon appeared out of nowhere and hugged them both tightly while giving them encouraging words.

After the surprise had died down, and the confirmation of the rumors spread; came the insults, the glares, and the expressions of disgust from practically everyone. Hyukjae and Donghae who before walked the halls calmly, now received shouts of “faggots” and “you’re disgusting”.

That’s why during lunch, Hyukjae and Donghae found themselves a nice, hidden place on the courtyard under the shade of a tree instead of trying to eat at their usual table in the cafeteria. No one to bother them or called them names, just themselves.

“I don’t know how I will endure the second half of this day without punching someone” Hyukjae said as he ate his lunch.

“Just smile” Donghae said calmly. Hyukjae looked at him estranged, Donghae caught his stare so he explained “remember in middle school when people would call me ‘drama queen’ and such?” he asked and Hyukjae nodded “when you weren’t around to glare them down to death, I smiled at people, believe me they leave you alone once they see they can’t hurt you”

Hyukjae stared at Donghae, as the latter resumed eating. Hyukjae’s eyes showed nothing but admiration for his boyfriend.

“I’ll never understand how you can be so strong” he said sincerely, and Donghae just smiled lightly, a tad of pink adorning his cheeks.

“Hey I found them!” both turned around at the sound of Jongin’s voice from the distance. They saw the whole dance team walking towards them. The dance team arrived at their spot and they all sat down on the floor next to them.

“You guys do realize everybody is going to hate you for hanging with us right?” Hyukjae said sounding concerned.

“Yeah” Shindong said nonchalantly.

“We really don’t care anyway” Minzy added honestly.

“You guys… don’t hate us or anything for… you know… being gay?” Donghae asked in a small voice, hiding a bit behind Hyukjae.

“No!” Taemin and Jongin answered in unison.

“Of course not” Minzy, Jia and Shindong answered at the same time.

“We would never hate you guys, we are a family remember?” Hyoyeon said encouraging.

Hyukjae smiled brightly showing off his gums, and Donghae smiled lightly, feeling warm inside.

“And your parents already know it?” Taemin asked curious.

“Mine do” Hyukjae said simply “they accepted it quite quickly, they know Donghae from ever so I think they kind of were expecting it” Hyukjae explained, and then he turned to Donghae concerned.

Donghae looked down at the floor “my dad doesn’t know… I don’t think he should know… he would… probably get pissed at me” he said softly.

They all looked at him confused –everybody knew that Donghae lived only with his dad but Hyukjae was the only one that knew how things were at Donghae’s house- Hyukjae looked up at them and shook his head, as if asking them not to ask more questions. They decided t change topic for good.

~~

“You know… Valentine’s dance is this Saturday… are you going?” Donghae asked Hyukjae as they were both on Hyukjae’s room after school. Hyukjae was lying in bed on his stomach, though he had he chest up, supported by his elbows.

“I don’t think so. I mean… I would go with you but then everybody would stare and what not, we hold hands at school and everybody went berserk calling us  names and what not, now imagine what they’ll do if we are dancing together.” Hyukjae said disgusted.

“You are right” Donghae said, eyes widening imagining the situation.

“Besides those dances are boring, I much better prefer to spend our first Valentine’s somewhere else” Hyukjae said happily, smirking.

Donghae left the chair he was sitting on and fell down on the bed, his head above Hyukjae’s back.

“Our first Valentine’s? You talk like if we are going to have a lot of valentine’s” Donghae said grinning happily.

“Because we are” Hyukjae said simply but firmly. “I’m not loosing you that easily Donghae”

Donghae felt a blush coming to his cheeks and a sweet warm filling his insides.

“I love you” Donghae said sincerely staring at Hyukjae’s profile. Finally! I waited so long to say it out loud! Donghae thought excited.

“I love you too Donghae” Hyukjae beamed. “So, will you go on a date with me on Valentine’s?”

ASDFEJWFREGRTUILEGHTERNHUGVBTH –Donghae

“YES!” Donghae practically yelled and then he got up from bed just to throw himself at Hyukjae, hugging him tightly.

~~

“DONGHAE!” Hyukjae yelled jumping over his boyfriend, efficiently waking him up. Donghae woke up startled, flailing his limbs tangling them in the sheets. He then turned around to find his boyfriend smiling brightly at him.

“Hyukjae~~ it’s Saturday and it’s only…” Donghae said lazily, turning to his clock only to find out it was 7:17 am “7 am! Let me sleep~~” Donghae whined covering his face with the covers.

“But Donghae~~ I want to go out on a date! Come on it’s Valentine’s! ~~~” Hyukjae whined in what he thought a cute manner. He got down from Donghae and started rummaging through his clothes getting a t-shirt, a pair of jeans, boxers, and socks. “You don’t even have to get up to change, I’ll change you” he said dropping the clothes above Donghae.

“Let me sleep Hyukjae” Donghae demanded curtly.

but Hae~~ it’s such a nice day! You said you’ll go on a date with me remember? Come on sunshine! The sun is out, the birds are singing and-” Hyukjae couldn’t finish his speech before Donghae uncovered himself and sat up on bed.

“Alright, alright I’m up” he said lazily, dragging his fingers through his hair and rubbing his eyes tiredly. “I need to shower, I’ll see you down in 15 minutes” he said finally looking up at Hyukjae.

“Nooo~~ just change and let’s go” Hyukjae whined, pouting.

“No Hyukjae, I need to shower, I’ll see you outside in 15 minutes, now get out” Donghae said standing up and pushing Hyukjae outside the room through his window.

“Fine, fine I’ll wait” Hyukjae said taking a step away from Donghae but he turned to him and in a swift movement he leaned and kissed Donghae in the cheek, making his eyes widen in shock and his cheeks turned bright red. “See you soon~~” he crooned before exiting the room.

Donghae was left there standing still, not being able to move. A big smile slowly rose on his lips and then he excitedly jumped around his room, taking the clothes Hyukjae had separated for him and practically running to the bathroom.

~~

“Ok I’m here now what?” Donghae said a bit annoyed at Hyukjae for waking him up early on a Saturday, though smiling like an idiot for the kiss on the cheek Hyukjae had given him.

“We’re going on a date” Hyukjae said smiling his gummy grin.

“Where?” Donghae asked curiously.

“It’s a surprise~~” Hyukjae said grinning widely. Donghae sent Hyukjae a death glare, which the latter ignored.

“I’m going back to sleep” Donghae muttered heading back.

“Nooooo” Hyukjae yelled, grabbing Donghae by the waist, turning him and picking him up. He placed him over his shoulder and started walking off.

“Hyukjae put me down!” Donghae demanded, kicking and hitting Hyukjae lightly in an attempt for the older to place him down.

“Nu-uh” Hyukjae said ignoring Donghae’s attempts of breaking free “you’re going to run away, besides I’m supposed to be your charming prince and having no car, this is the only way I could pick you up and take you to our date” Hyukjae said grinning.

“How come I fell in love with you?” Donghae asked disgusted.

“Because I’m irresistible” Hyukjae said proudly.

“Or I felt pity” Donghae teased.

“Hey!” Hyukjae exclaimed offended.

“Kidding” Donghae said cutely and Hyukjae scoffed.

They continued fighting and teasing each other until Hyukjae reached the bus stop and he put Donghae down, immediately placing his arm above his’ shoulders to prevent him from running.

They took the bus and Hyukjae motioned for Donghae to get down once they reached a shopping mall.

“Seriously Hyukjae? You get me out of bed early on a Saturday to come to a shopping mall? On Valentine’s day?” Donghae asked skeptically.

“Will you stop complaining about getting up early? I’m sure you’ll love it” Hyukjae said, latching his fingers with Donghae’s and guiding them both inside the mall. Hyukjae practically dragged Donghae all the way through the mall until they reached an aquarium that had being inaugurated early on the week. “Here” Hyukjae said happily. “Surprise”

“An aquarium?” Donghae asked surprised “You know you should never take me to an aquarium for a date right? I will totally ignore you in favor of the fish” he said matter-of-factly.

“I know, but we’re here now so let’s just go in” Hyukjae said pulling Donghae with him.

Just like Donghae predicted he totally ignored Hyukjae in favor of the fish. He was amazed if not mesmerized by every single creature he saw, little fishes, big fishes, sharks, everything. He spent almost ten minutes in every tank admiring the animals. He decided that it had been worth to be dragged out of bed at ungodly hours to come and see the animals. He wondered why though, why would Hyukjae choose an aquarium over any other place? They could have gone somewhere where both of them enjoyed and not just one of them.

Donghae asked himself the question a couple of times until he caught the reflection of Hyukjae through one of the tanks. Hyukjae was staring at him with sweet eyes, a soft smile, his head was tilt a little and an expression of complete love adorned his face. And that’s when Donghae realized why Hyukjae had brought him to an aquarium.

While he got to be mesmerized by the fish, Hyukjae got to be mesmerized by him. How many times haven’t Donghae stared at Hyukjae the same way Hyukjae was staring at him right now? Now he completely understood why Hyukjae would bring him to an aquarium, it was the exact same reason why Donghae stayed longer to watch Hyukjae practice his dances.

Donghae turned to Hyukjae, who look at him surprised. He then walked up to him and grabbed his hand, dragging Hyukjae to a nearby bench.

“Is everything alright?” Hyukjae asked him concerned.

“Yeah everything’s ok I’m just… curious about something… why did you brought me here? We could have gone somewhere else, I mean… I don’t think you’re having fun here…” Donghae asked carefully, though he kind of knew why Hyukjae chose the aquarium for a date he wanted to hear his reasons.

“Don’t think that, I’m having as much fun as you are” Hyukjae said smiling at Donghae “I’m watching you, I love seeing you this happy” he said, tenderly caressing Donghae’s cheek with the back of his hand. Donghae blushed a little bit.

“I…I-I” Donghae stuttered not really knowing what to say. Hyukjae grinned, and bit his bottom lip.

“Cute” he said pinching Donghae’s cheek sweetly. Donghae could only smile fondly at Hyukjae when he retreated his hand. “Come on, let’s finish the trail and go get something to eat” Hyukjae said standing up and holding his hand out for Donghae. Donghae smiled at the action and hold to Hyukjae’s hand to stand up, later they intertwined their fingers.

They continued the trail with Hyukjae, holding Donghae from behind and asking him questions about the animals. Donghae kept staring at the fish and Hyukjae kept starring at Donghae. Both of them fell more in love with each other by each passing minute; Donghae from finding out just how sweet Hyukjae is, Hyukjae for finding out how beautiful Donghae looked like when mesmerized.

They went to have breakfast at one of the restaurants on the mall. When they finished, they decided to take a look around some shops just to pass the time. When it was lunch time, they left the mall to look for some good restaurant where they could eat. They found a good place where thankfully there weren’t many costumers. They took a nice table a bit hidden; so they wouldn’t get weird looks, and ordered some food. They spent their lunch talking to each other, and eating delicious food.

Some way between their meal Donghae gathered enough courage to bring up his chopstick with food and offer it to Hyukjae. Hyukjae looked at the offered food confused for a few seconds until a tad of pink adorned his cheeks and he leaned closer to eat the food. He then sat back down and smiled at Donghae, and Donghae just looked down at his legs embarrassed. When he looked up again, Hyukjae was the one offering food and Donghae smiled and bit it.

When they were done, they walked back to Hyukjae’s house; Hyukjae’s arm over Donghae’s shoulders all the while. They played some videogames and watched a movie while having dinner; both of them had huge smiles on their faces all the time. When the time became too late, and the tiredness was winning them, they both sat down on their tree, with some lanterns on.

“I… ” Hyukjae started nervously “I wanted to thank you Hae, for this amazing first date and first Valentine’s together… I wouldn’t want to have spent it any other way really. Umm… I… I got something for you” Hyukjae said and reached his pocket.

Donghae looked at him expectantly, wondering what could Hyukjae get him. Hyukjae held in his hand an object covered in pink and red heart-patterned -wrap. Hyukjae handed the gift to Donghae, who took it excitedly. He ripped the paper and revealed a medium black wristband with a monkey and a fish sewn on it.

“To replace the older one” Hyukjae explained nervously. Donghae’s eyes glistened softly, his lips curled up just slightly in a fond smile; his fingers caressed the wristband delicately.

“I love it” Donghae’s voice spoke delighted. Hyukjae felt warmer inside, and a small smile appeared on his lips. “Can you… couldyouputiton?”

It took Hyukjae a few seconds to discover what Donghae had said. He then nodded and took the wristband from Donghae. Donghae took off his old wristband and held his left arm out for Hyukjae to take.

Hyukjae grabbed Donghae’s arm with his left hand and slid the new wrist band with a little of struggle and help from Donghae’s hand. Hyukjae placed the wristband just underneath Donghae’s hand, careful of not touching his scars.

“Thanks” Donghae beamed happily, admiring his new possession. “I… I got something for you too…” Donghae then mumbled nervously, biting his bottom lip. He turned away from Hyukjae and grabbed something behind him, then holding it out for Hyukjae to take.

Hyukjae eyed the object curious, an eyebrow rising in question.

“Your notebook?” Hyukjae asked curious. Donghae nodded.

“I want you to… read it. So you’ll know… how I feel… about you” Donghae explained nervously, not daring to look at Hyukjae.

“It’s not necessary Hae-”

“No, I… I insist” Donghae interrupted quickly. Hyukjae took the notebook, and hugged it.

“Ok then… thanks Hae” he said before reaching out and placing one small kiss on Donghae’s cheek.

~~


I think I made Donghae too much like a shojo anime girl .____.
But there's a reason for everything, I'll explain later c;

(fluffy Eunhae is the best Eunhae)