Work

Salty Lips & Late Night Dips

04: Work



Blinding sunlight yanked a groan from Tao's throat as he lifted a hand to shield his retinas. He blinked several times before realizing he was lying against something solid and partially . Sitting up with a panicked yelp, he winced when a migraine rushed in at full force.

 

“Feels great, doesn’t it?” Kris asked sarcastically as he sat up in bed, chest bare and hair a tangled mess. It did little justice for Tao’s heart palpitations as he noted how the sun accentuated every plane of Kris’ lean body.

 

“I hate you,” Tao rasped. He rubbed his temples, trying to focus on the throbbing behind his skull instead of the half surfer sitting next to him.

 

Kris chuckled softly, the sound deep and gritty from sleep. “Congratulations, you just received your first hangover. How does it feel?” Kris pressed a hand into the mattress and leaned towards Tao to study him with an amused grin.

 

“Like hell. Or worse.” Tao shifted to put more space between them.

 

“Time to get you up and going," replied Kris, "Your dad is probably pissed.”

 

Tao sighed and rubbed his temples again. “ing fantastic. I’m sure he’s going to ground me for the rest of the summer.” He flung the covers off angrily and swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

 

“I doubt it. I already talked to him.”

 

Tao froze. “What.

 

“Your cell phone wouldn’t stop ringing last night, so I answered it. Your dad demanded to know your whereabouts, so naturally I introduced myself, told him you went with me to a friend's cookout, and that we'd been surfing all day so you'd crashed with us. He said he was glad you’d made some friends.” Kris paused to give Tao enough time to digest the information. “You know, for a city kid, you don’t have very many friends or get out much. Do you?”

 

Tao scowled, stood up, and stomped into the bathroom where he slammed the door behind him. “That’s none of your business!” he shouted as he stared at his disheveled reflection in the mirror. He was used to following a strict line he’d drawn for himself. But his experiences with Kris strayed far from his comfort zone.

 

A knock sounded on the door. “It’s not a big deal, Tao. Really.” Kris’ muffled voice invaded the bathroom. “I won’t say anything, I promise.” The surfer sighed when he received no response. “Why don’t you wash up? Lay is fixing everyone breakfast. Once we’re done eating I’ll take you home.”

 

Tao exhaled at the retreating sound of Kris' footsteps. Maybe Kris was right. He was probably overeacting. 

 

He emerged from the bathroom several minutes later, feeling refreshed but still hungover. His stomach flipped at the scent of eggs and bacon. Everyone had gathered in the living area and was either immersed in conversation or regretting their hangover.

 

“Tao! My man! How’s it going?” asked Jongdae with a sunshiny smile.

 

What in the actual living hell? The last Tao had checked, Jongdae had been the most wasted out of the bunch last night, yet here he was being Mr. ing Sunshine.

 

Luhan noticed Tao’s horrified expression and smiled apologetically. “Jondae is quick to get drunk but even quicker to recover. That’s what makes him so dangerous.”

 

At least someone was sympathetic towards Tao's not-so-pleasant condition.

 

"Hey, Lay!" Jongdae called into the kitchen, his gaze still fixated on Tao. It made him feel uneasy.

 

"Yeah?" asked Lay while flipping a pancake to brown the other side.

 

"You owe me eighty bucks."

 

"Really? How can you be sure?"

 

"Just look," Jongdae pointed to Tao.

 

At Jondgae's request, Lay looked over his shoulder and eyed Kris and Tao before turning back to the stove. "Damn," he mumbled under his breath. Meanwhile, Luhan sulked at the end of the sofa as he pulled out his wallet and forked over the rest of his cash to Jongdae.

 

Tao frowned. "Why do I get the feeling like I'm being constantly watched?"

 

"That's because you are," Minseok replied while flipping through the TV channels. "In case you haven't noticed, our circle of friends is more like a gambling ring. I wouldn't advise taking part in it. You'll only end up broke."

 

Jongdae and Luhan smirked devilishly. "It's not our fault you're ty at making bets," added Luhan.

 

"I'm not ty at them, I just haven't perfected the art of deception like you two have," retorted Minseok.

 

"Hey! I resemble that remark! And why are you complaining? You're the one who's loaded," Jongdae flicked a beer cap in Minseok's direction but missed.

 

Laughter soon filled the room, and even Tao had a hard time shaking the smile that pulled at the corners of his lips.

 

"Okay guys! Breakfast is ready!" Lay sat a large stack of pancakes on the kitchen table, along with a pitcher of orange juice and a bowl of fresh fruit.

 

Kris nudged Tao in the side with his elbow. "I know you’re probably nauseous but try to eat something. Lay’s pancakes are the best."

 

Tao hummed in acknowledgment and claimed a spot between Kris and Minseok at the table. He used the serving spoon to scoop a few pieces of fruit onto his plate, started nibbling on a slice of strawberry, and took a good look around the table. Everyone was bickering and over food and calling each other names. He fought back another smile. Ironically, he hadn’t wanted to stay with his dad for the summer. Yet somehow he'd managed to find something that gave him the courage to open up his heart just a fraction--friends.

 
 
 

-

 
 
 

Later that morning, Kris drove Tao home and offered to come inside but Tao declined. Although it was a thoughtful offer, Tao didn't want Kris to see his dad explode. He was already flustered enough. The last thing he needed was to add embarrassment on top of it. With heavy feet, Tao opened the door to the house and prepared to face the repercussions of his partying from the night before.

 

His father was sitting at the kitchen table with his hands folded neatly before him. Surprisingly, he didn't look as angry as Tao had anticipated, but that didn’t mean that he was in he clear.

 

"Take a seat. We need to talk," instructed his father, his tone was calm and casual.

 

Tao sighed and claimed the seat across from his dad while avoiding his probing gaze. They were silent for several minutes before the elder finally spoke.

 

"Be thankful your friend Kris talked to me last night and let me know where you were. I was worried sick."

 

Tao opened his mouth to speak but his dad held up a hand, signaling that he wasn't through just yet.

 

"I understand that being here is hard for you. It’s hard for me too. And I know I haven't been the best father but--"

 

"Haven't been the best father?" Tao scoffed, hands clenching his knees beneath the table. "You've never been there! Why in the hell do you want to start now! I've done just fine without you!" Tao slammed a fist to the table and seethed with every ounce of hatred he’d harbored over the last several years.

 

The admission struck his father hard. Tao thought he saw a flash of guilt but quickly dismissed it because there was no way in hell his dad would feel that guilty after all this time. He hadn’t even blinked when he abandoned Tao and his mother. He never bothered to call Tao and only sent the occasional birthday card with a few measly scraps of cash stuffed inside.

 

When Tao broke his arm in middle school, he never showed at the hospital nor called to check up on him. It was only within the last year that he’d started making an effort to talk to Tao. And although their conversations always ended in harsh words, the old man just wouldn’t leave him alone. It infuriated Tao to such a degree that he starting avoiding his father at all costs. That was when his mother decided to dump him on this island for the summer. And now here he was--annoyed, bitter, and fuming to the core.

 

"Look." attempted his dad, "At least just let me know where you're going. If your mother calls I don't want to have to be the one to tell her that her son is missing."

 

Tao stood up from the table abruptly, nearly knocking over his chair in the process. "That's right," he bit back viciously, "Me being here is some huge ing inconvenience for you, isn’t it!" Tears prickled at the corner of Tao’s eyes. He looked away, too embarrassed and ashamed to let his dad to see him like this.

 

"What else do you want me to do? I'm trying!" implored his father while standing and reaching a hand out to Tao.

 

Tao shrugged off his father’s hand and backed away. "Just do me a favor," his voice lowered as he gulped down the lump in his throat, "Don't."

 

Then he ran upstairs into his bedroom, ignored his dad's pleas, and slammed and locked the door. When the knocking on his door became too much to handle, Tao pulled out his iPod and blasted his ears until his heart went numb and his tears faded away.

 
 
 
-
 
 
 

For the next couple of days, Tao avoided his dad. When they had no choice but to run into each other, they refused to speak. During those two days, Kris didn't contact Tao, and he was thankful for the space. Perhaps Kris was busy, or maybe he knew Tao needed some time. Either way, Tao was beginning to think Kris wasn't such a bad guy after all. Even if he was annoying and stupid and cocky and--on second thought, maybe he didn't like him.

 

Surprisingly, it was Luhan who contacted Tao via text message. Exactly how the guy had managed to snag his number was a mystery. Kris had to be the perpetrator. He'd probably snagged Tao's number the night they'd all gone drinking. The jackass was going to regret his snooping.

 

[unknown]
hey it's luhan. why don't you drop by the surf shop today? i could use some help. i'll pay you.

 

[tao]
are you kidding me? can't you find someone else to do it?

 

[unknown]
ha. no. dae is a . sehun is distracting. and minseok at multitasking. so how bout it?

 

Tao considered the idea. He had no intention of working during his summer break, but seeing as how he and his dad weren't on the best of terms, maybe getting out of the house wasn't such a bad idea.

 

[tao]
fine.

 

[unknown]
hell ing yes! it’s called the black pearl surf shop. be there by 2. ^^

 

Tao sighed and tossed his phone aside. He really hoped he wouldn’t end up regretting his acceptance of Luhan’s offer. He was falling deeper into a hole that would be mighty hard to climb back out of, but the allure of extra spending money was strong.

 

Before Tao left, he washed up and shoved down some food. He wasn't sure why, but he left a small note on the kitchen table that read, "Out with friends. Be back later." He probably did it just to avoid the annoyance of getting into another argument with his dad. Not that he cared, of course. Then he locked the door behind him, hopped onto his bicycle, and took off down the road with the ocean wind ruffling his bangs.

 
 
 

-

 
 
 

When Tao pulled up to Luhan’s surf shop, he immediately regretted volunteering his services. The place was jam packed. He parked his bicycle out back and entered the store through the employee entrance. Squeezing past a group of chattering customers next to the surfboards, he spotted a flustered Luhan at the register.

 

"Tao!" Luhan waved with hopeful eyes, "Thank God you're here! As much as I like all of this business, I can't keep up with it all!"

 

"I can see that," Tao deadpanned as a girl eyed him from check out. It looked as though she were undressing him with her eyes. He shivered and quickly joined Luhan behind the counter.

 

"Don’t sweat it, okay? I'll run the register and you can help bag the items and answer the phone," Luhan said as he scanned the next customer's items, which included some board wax, a pair of board shorts, and snazzy sunglasses.

 

"O-Okay." Tao performed his tasks to the best of his ability, thankful that he didn't have to deal with the customers directly like Luhan. That was until the phone started ringing and he flashed an apprehensive look.

 

"Just answer it like, 'Black Pearl Surf Shop! How can I help you?' And make sure it sounds cheerful," Luhan instructed, “Nobody wants to talk to a lame . Okay?”

 

"Cheerful. Right." Tao hesitated before picking up the phone and placing the receiver to his ear. "B-Black Pearl Surf Shop... um... how can I help you?" The guy on the other end tossed out the names of a several items he wanted to inquire about. Tao had no idea what he was talking about and looked to Luhan for an answer.

 

Luhan chuckled. "What does he need?" he asked. Tao listed off the items and Luhan gave Tao his response while continuing to ring up customers with a flawless smile. Was it really possible to be so swamped and smiling at the same time? Perhaps it was when it was your own business on the line. After all, it was how Luhan made his living.

 

Three or four hours passed before the crowd finally thinned out. Tao slumped over the counter, drained and defeated. Luhan patted him on the back and offered him a cold soda, to which Tao downed it faster than he probably should have.

 

Just then, the back door of the surf shop swung open and Kris entered. The soda can in Tao’s hand collapsed under the pressure of his clenching fingers. Kris looked exactly like he did when Tao had first met him--dripping hair, low hanging swim trunks, and tan skin.

 

"You made it!" Kris exclaimed as he bounded across the threshold to ruffle Tao’s hair with damp fingers. 

 

Tao swatted them away with a grimace. "Of course I did. What? You didn’t think I was reliable or something?" Tao narrowed his gaze accusingly.

 

Kris’ slightly chapped lips pulled back to reveal a blinding smile. Tao clenched his jaw when he realized he was right back at square one--hating life, the forces of the universe, and Kris right along with them.

 

Luhan watched their exchange with humored interest, arms folded as he leaned back against the counter. "You two get along so well," he commented, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

 

"So are you finished?” asked Kris, “Because I was hoping you'd help me with my next surfing class."

 

"Surfing? Ha! Did you lose your mind or just forget that I royally at it?"

 

"You don't . You just need practice. Besides, this is a beginners class."

 

Was that an insult? Kris' smirk indicated that it was. Tao slapped Kris' chest as hard as he could, grinning at the nice red hand print that formed as Kris unleashed a stream of curses.

 

“If you two play nice, arcade games are on me tonight,” said Luhan before his attention was captured by a young boy who entered the surf shop with rainbow hair a placid expression.

 

In the end, Tao did exactly what he didn't want to do--helping Kris with his stupid freaking surfing lesson. But Luhan had promised to pay him, and pay him he would, because Tao had every intention of lighting up that arcade when he kicked Kris’ in every single game that night.