EXTRA: The Surf Shop Thief

Salty Lips & Late Night Dips

 

EXTRA: The Surf Shop Thief



Luhan was just about to close the register for the evening when two people flew into the shop like a tornado, nearly knocking over a display rack of hemp jewelry in the process.

The man was clad in wrinkled, business-casual clothing, a few locks of dark hair hanging about his face while the rest of it remained slicked back. He looked absolutely frazzled, as though he were gradually coming undone around the edges.

The boy was a sight to behold as he shamelessly cursed at the man for stretching the collar of his favorite shirt. He’d already come undone, and apparently, was proud of it too.  His rainbow-colored hair bore testament to that, along with his ripped skinny jeans, spiked jewelry and black sleeveless shirt that said, COMME DES DOWN.

Luhan snorted.

"IS THIS WHERE YOU STOLE THEM FROM!" roared the man, fist shaking the other violently. "WELL?"

"YEAH!  SO WHAT?"  The boy rolled his eyes, crossing his arms defiantly.

"You give them back and apologize right this instant!  I raised you better than this!”

"Why should I!"

The man choked on his own anger before regaining enough composure to speak calmly to Luhan.  "I apologize.  It appears my nephew stole these sunglasses from your store today."

"Oh!" replied Luhan, rubbing the back of his neck.  This had never happened to him before - a thief returning stolen merchandise - but there was a first time for everything. "I see.  Well as long as they’re returned, I don’t see why there should be a problem."

"No.  You don’t understand," continued the man, as he eyed his nephew with disdain, "He needs to learn a lesson. I want you to press charges against him. Maybe a pair of handcuffs will convince him to think twice about stealing."

"I don’t think that’s necess—"

"Give them back!" bellowed the man as he pushed the younger toward the counter.

The boy sighed, rolled his eyes and slapped the stolen sunglasses onto the counter. ”I was going to bring them back anyway. I expected better quality from a hundred dollar pair of sunglasses. You should do something about the lame stuff you’re selling here.”

"Why you little!" The uncle yanked his nephew back, raised a hand into the air and laid a good hard slap across his cheek. The sound echoed throughout the empty surf shop, making Luhan wince at the red hand print that appeared on the boy’s cheek. "Call the police. I’ll sit with him until they arrive, just to make sure he doesn’t try anything funny."

Luhan’s eyes widened in surprise before taking in the somber expression of the thief.  This kid put on a bold front, but Luhan could see there was more to him than rainbow hair and sticky fingers.  ”I’ve got a better idea,” he stated thoughtfully.

"A… better idea?" asked the uncle.

"How about a job?"

What?  For who?”

"Your nephew."

"Why would you even consider such an absurd idea?"

"Well it gets busy around here during the summer months, and I could use a little extra help. Rather than punish him, why don’t you give him a chance to make up for his mistakes instead?" Luhan suggested.

The uncle mulled over the idea before releasing his nephew with an aggravated huff. ”Screw up one more time and you can say goodbye to second chances, Sehun. Do you understand me?

Sehun fixed his stretched shirt and worked out the crick in his neck. ”Fine.”

"Excellent!" replied Luhan, smiling genuinely. "Do you have some time? I’d like to show him around the store and go over a few things with him… if that’s okay."

"No problem!" The uncle appeared surprised and thrilled. He’d grown accustomed to being embarrassed by Sehun’s antics and deplorable behavior. Finally someone was giving his nephew a chance, and more importantly, Sehun had accepted. It wasn’t much, but it was a start.

"It’s nice to meet you, Sehun," said Luhan as he directed his new employee to the back of the shop where they kept the extra stock. "My name is Luhan, and I’ll be your boss from now on." He snagged a clip board from his makeshift desk and plucked a few papers out of one of the drawers. "Now get your over here and fill out this application."

Sehun ambled about the room, looking at the various boxes and loosely stacked merchandise still wrapped in clear plastic bags. Luhan had some pretty good stuff hidden in the back. Of course, he wasn’t going to admit that he actually liked what the surf shop had to offer. Nope. He was going to hate it until he believed it - down to the very last pair of cheap five dollar sunglasses. Sehun took the clipboard from Luhan with a heavy sigh.

"And make sure you fill it out right… or else.” Luhan’s tone was deadly despite his cheery expression.

That evening Luhan sent off his new employee with a free pair of hundred dollar sunglasses and a new job to come to in the morning. Truth be told, he didn’t know what he was getting into (and he might regret it later) but he couldn’t ignore hidden potential when he saw it.

Sehun definitely had potential. He just didn’t know it yet.