Fourth person Youngjae met in heaven

The five people you meet in heaven

 

There was something missing in life after his death. His friends haven't met Youngjae in the end. They were waiting much longer than they were supposed to, dialed his number countless times, but there was no response and they split up feeling disappointed. That feeling remained until they heard the news about the accident and it was replaced with sadness. Everyone were mourning Youngjae's death. University restarted and the whole place was full of news. It seemed like just recently they lost two when another boy had left. Some said he's happy now, but silently all of them wished him that.

 

 

The place he found himself this time was an empty room where a desk and two chairs were all he saw. He turned around, but there were no doors or windows. Nevertheless Youngjae started to walk by the wall searching for anything hidden, but it was all the same. He knocked on few spots to find the same thick wall. It was claustrofobic, almost like being buried alive in a coffin. Except that he doesn't need to worry about that anymore.

Still, he didn't feel any different than alive, he didn't feel dead. He was breathing same air he did and the rest, like hunger or sleep didn't exist here. That's how he knew it's heaven.

He turned around expecting to see the same empty room, but this time there was a person sitting on one of the chairs. He recognised him as Bang Yongguk from his university.

"What are you doing here?"

Yongguk was expecting anything but these words for a greeting.

"You don't seem happy to see me. Was I that bad student?"

Youngjae had tutored him for whole time that he was able to study.

"You helped me back there, this time I'm here to return the offer and help you."

 

 

It's Youngjae's birthday, he turned 19. His first year in university went well. It was different from school with different requirements, but it was a better atmosphere. Those who came here had decided on their way in life and there's no pressure. You study because you have a set goal.

Youngjae's decision was business management. He spends his birthday with new friends he met in campus. They went to karaoke and Youngjae sang until his throat got sore. They had some drinks, Youngjae is still not fond of drinking. When he came home he had a quiet dinner with mom.

 

 

Empty room disappeared and they were surrounded by books. Youngjae could feel the smell of old books and all kinds of stories confined by words in them. There were also encyclopedias and other books provided for students to study. Their university library is huge.

"Remember this place?" Yongguk smiled walking to one of the desks. Piles of books were covering it, all of their titles related to business. Youngjae's eyes followed him until he sat down on chair which was his usual spot.

"Do you remember how many afternoons we spent here with our eyes trained on books in front of us?"

"Yeah, you often been spacing out or resting your head on your hand."

Yongguk chuckled at his remark. "I guess you didn't like me."

Youngjae shrugged.

"You were a lazy , but your head worked fine so it was alright. Until you didn't try to flirt with me."

 

 

The library is a temple of the peace, that's where Youngjae decided to study because he felt concentrated. Sometimes you could barely see him among all those books and how quiet he was flipping pages and write in notes now and then. That's where Yongguk had saw him, that concentrated figure and thought it's the perfect person who could help him.

He approached Youngjae. "Hey. Can I ask you something?"

Youngjae had promptly stopped what he had been writing and looked at him. "Sure. What is it?"

"I suppose you're better at this and I would like to ask if you could help me."

Youngjae's eyebrows slightly creased as he thought about it. He wasn't very fond of helping a stranger, but he knew he can't shrug it off when he's asked for help. So he agreed.

They introduced themselves to each other and Youngjae asked him to explain what is the hardest to him. When Yongguk told him, he smiled inwardly because it was where he's best.

 

 

They were studying daily, Youngjae got used to the other's presence well. First few days were the same-they didn't talk besides times when Youngjae had to explain him some part. Studying in quiet was better.

However, Yongguk wanted to find out about his tutor more and he initiated chats. At first Youngjae tried to answer him shortly and not disturb their studying session, but soon he found himself interested in hearing about Yongguk's hobby to compose music. He was questioning whether the other was in the right place.

 

 

They weren't friends and never became such, they got together to only study in the library.

Yongguk tried to call him out to hang out sometimes, but Youngjae always declined saying he's busy. Sometimes he asked if Youngjae wants to go clubbing on Friday evening, but he always had the same excuse and never said what's keeping him busy.

"Don't you have other friends?" Youngjae asked once after turning down another offer.

"I do. But I want to pay you out by buying a drink or something."

"Sorry, but I don't drink." He responded tapping his pen at the notes he was reading making it clear him that they need to get back to studying.

 

 

Sometimes Yongguk gotten lazy. "Come on, can we skip it today?"

Youngjae sighed. "You can skip if you want, I'm going to study."

"Aren't you tired? Just this time."

He shook his head. "I'm fine."

Yongguk did as he said leaving the other with his nose in the book.

 

 

"Well? Remember how one day I came to you and asked you on a date?"

"I still wonder why you did that. What was that you liked about me?"

 

 

He was just memorising his previous lecture's material when a shadow fell on him. It was Yongguk standing on the other side of the desk, his expression was hard to read.

"You're late." Youngjae broke the silence wondering why the other looks at him like that.

"I know."

"Then why are you standing there? Sit down so that we could start to revise."

"No."

He looked up at him curiously. "Why not?"

"Because I didn't came to study today. I want to ask you out. And this time for a date."

Youngjae was taken aback. He unconsciously leaned back in chair and examined the other's face. Yongguk was staring back at him waiting for an answer. And he knew he can give only one answer.

"I'm sorry, but...no. I can't."

Yongguk seemed sad hearing a negative response. "Is it because I'm a guy and you prefer girls?"

Youngjae shook head violently. Then he seemed like he's trying to say something, but instead shook it again.

"I see. I won't change your resolve."

"I'm sorry." He looked at him apologetically.

With that Yongguk left.

That was the last time he saw Bang Yongguk.

 

 

"Really now, why did I like you?" Yongguk said and chuckled when he saw how Youngjae's expression turned sour. "You were so smart and mysterious that I found myself attracted to you."

Youngjae scoffed. "How am I mysterious?"

Yongguk ignored his question and looked in his eyes. "Don't you want to know how I ended up here? How I died?"

"Tell me."

"When you rejected me I felt so awful I decided to call my friends and drink to forget that.

We went to the bar and I lost number of drinks I had.

I was drinking because you rejected me.

The one that had the least was driving, but he was still too drunk and we crashed into street lamp. Only I died though."

Youngjae felt his whole body trembling. He buried face in his palms as soon as first tears escaped. His shoulders were shaking with each sob. Yongguk brought arms around him allowing the other to cry out the sorrow on his shoulder to which he gratefully did. They both were dead, but Youngjae could feel the warmth of his body and the soothing hand on his back.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered between the sobs. “So sorry about that. I regret what I said to you back then.”

"I am no longer disappointed in you. I'm here to return the favor of your help. Your life wasn't meaningless. You saved the girl.”

Youngjae leaned back to look at him, his tears were drying on his cheeks. Yongguk was serious.

He let go of him and stepped back.

"The one that was driving when you got hit-that was my friend who drove that night."

Youngjae freezed at the truth he heard about his death. They were back in the tiny room and Yongguk was standing in front of the door that appeared this time.

"I am no longer disappointed for another reason. You're going to meet your fifth person soon." With that he opened the door and left.

 
 
___
@_fanboy, thanks for the idea of Yongguk wanting to date Youngjae. You helped a lot.